Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#240453 - 02/02/12 09:46 PM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi All. Hope you’ve been well. I thought that this 2012 prep goals thread would be a good one for me to try to boost my involvement in the forum again.

My first goal is to reorganize our supplies. With the recent departure of one of our teens (current usmc boot camp recruit), we now have an empty room. Converted to a man cave for the darling husband, I am claiming the decent size closet is as our “prep central”. Our gear and food supplies are currently scattered in whatever space is available, which drives me crazy. Plus, I’ve already lost two jars of my emergency peanut butter to the sweet teeth of my peanut butter cookie loving family. wink

Reorganizing will also consist of inventorying and rotating stock. Stock rotation is another goal, I need an actually system in place, instead of randomly assessing expiration dates whenever I get bored.

My goal for the weekend is to assemble our BOBs. I’ve had this project on the table for a year, and I AM going to get it done this weekend. I will also be creating my vehicle “get home” bag. The gear is ready, I just need to organize.

Family hiking trips, with our BOBs. Part of an overall fitness plan, this I hope will help us build some endurance. I realized this was important when I loaded up a backpack with a crapload of arms supplies for a record day at the range. That experience made me realize that we should really get used to carrying a LOT of weight.

Finally, I want to start learning some basic skills that could prove useful. I need to recertify for CPR, and I would like to find some sort of first aid (wilderness?) classes to take as well. There’s lots of other stuff I want to do, but this is getting long, so I'll restrain myself and stop here to spare you all!

~Marion C. Garretty

#240492 - 02/03/12 07:06 PM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome back! It sounds like you have some great goals in mind. Keep us apprised of your progress.

#240503 - 02/04/12 05:08 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Eric]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Signed up for an "extreme body shaping" class and have survived week 2 of 10 so far

Eric and all. Forgive me if I sound a abit negative or alrmist. We have recently lost a colleague and loved friend when he was jogging. He ALWAYS pushed himself to the limit. He jogged and bicycled for 10-15 miles DAILY regardless of the weather. He got a heart problem a few years back and almost died. He recovered but this time it was the real thing.

Sorry , but I wanted you to be careful.
Visit a doctor before you do anything extreme.

#240509 - 02/04/12 01:12 PM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Chisel]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
Signed up for an "extreme body shaping" class and have survived week 2 of 10 so far

Eric and all. Forgive me if I sound a a bit negative or alrmist. We have recently lost a colleague and loved friend when he was jogging. He ALWAYS pushed himself to the limit. He jogged and bicycled for 10-15 miles DAILY regardless of the weather. He got a heart problem a few years back and almost died. He recovered but this time it was the real thing.

Sorry , but I wanted you to be careful.
Visit a doctor before you do anything extreme.

No need to apologize.

Everyone should see a doctor regularly and check with them before starting a new workout program. I did check with my doctor and also checked out the workouts before starting. If you have known health issues you should pay even more attention to your choices regarding your health.

My doctor just recently cleared me to start more strenuous activities after an abdominal surgery last year. Well, actually, I was not only cleared but encouraged to do something to improve my fitness level and strengthen my abdominals. We discussed several options (running isn't an option for several reasons) before picking this one and I had a complete physical and full set of lab tests before starting. We also have a followup appointment scheduled 5 weeks into the program to see how things are going.

I have just finished week 4 and this has been a challenging and rewarding fitness class for me. It is focused at changing how you live and has a complete nutrition plan and a workout plan that combines aerobic kickboxing and resistance training. The instructors have been great and provide a good balance of motivation and encouragement.

I don't see the workouts as that extreme but they are challenging. I suspect the extreme refers to the mental and physical transformations that occur when you get a more balanced approach to nutrition and fitness in your life. The nutrition plan and workouts have had a noticeable impact during these four weeks. I have gotten a lot stronger (well, regained a lot of lost strength) and regained a reasonable level of endurance.

Thanks for sharing your concern and reminding all of us to make good, healthy decisions.

- Eric

#240511 - 02/04/12 02:13 PM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Eric]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was fortunate and got into situations where I was encouraged to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Looking back, and reading the now routine advise to stay active, I am glad I did. Don't get me wrong; I am far from perfect. DW is on my case to trim down my gut and she is right. I have a well developed sweet tooth.

Definitely consult with your doctor. Every choice in life involves risk, but the odds are with you if you remain vigorous.

#240539 - 02/05/12 03:41 AM Re: Prep goals for the year [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: Bingley
What do you plan to do to get more prepared this year?

2. Update emergency food supplies. My old plan was to rely on a combination of freeze-dry meals and canned, ready-made food. My body can no longer handle much of that, alas. (I cannot tolerate some commonly used ingredients in the food industry like soy-derivatives and high fructose corn syrup.) So I'm looking for recommendations for storable foods with only one ingredient (or at least with very few ingredients). Thus far I've come across only a few possibilities. ShelfReliance.com makes freeze-dried broccoli, chicken, etc. I'm also looking into canned meats (Yoders, Keystone). Any ideas?

We stockpile some of the usual: dry beans and peas, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, flour. Peanut butter, jam, canned meat and salmon, tuna packs etc. We keep a stockpile (and use daily) Wasa crispbread as a substitute for soft bread. All of this gets used regularly and replenished when it goes on sale.

All good ideas. Don't forget unusual (to Americans) staples: rice, couscous, corn, barley, etc etc etc. Look up gluten-free diet websites for probably dozens of other stable grains.

#240903 - 02/11/12 01:15 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I plan to do a 50km Survival Hike in the Rockies this Spring with only a light weight pack.
boreal.net

#241364 - 02/17/12 04:24 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Self check-in after 1.5 months.

Originally Posted By: Bingley
My goals for this year include:

1. Get healthier.

Working on this. Doctors, gym, etc.

Quote:
2. Update emergency food supplies.

Am testing canned foods. Will put up a review (with photos!) probably in a month.

Quote:
3. Take a course in first aid.

Still at the planning stage, though by good luck I got some rudimentary training in handling gunshot wounds, and even walked away with half a kit.

After reading about Blast's recent experience with a blackout, I am beginning to think about improving my backup power. Right now I have plans only for powering my smart phone via a battery charger. Everything else seems like a luxury (computer, wireless router, going to bed with the wife early, etc.). Perhaps something like the Xantrex PowerPack, though it's hard to justify the hit on my budget.

Also looking into the wife thing. I didn't realize that was an essential part of power outage preparation.

Another idea is equipping myself with a heat source (such as a catalytic heater) for an extended power outage in winter. Now, since I live in an apartment, the indoor temperature will be acceptable for a few days. After that, winter clothing plus a sleeping bag should keep me going a bit longer. I could also camp out at my office (large employer, own generators, massive buildings). Some of my co-workers did that when their neighborhood lost power for two weeks. But it may be time to start thinking about a room heater than runs on some sort of canned fuel. Of course, in another month or so we'll be coming out of the thaw.

#241367 - 02/17/12 04:45 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
My current goal by the end of the year is to have 3 months of water and 3 months of long-shelf-life food and building a dedicated prep room during our remodel. I will be buying some other things - shorter-term stuff to rotate through. I'd also like to pick up an M-4 and shotgun to have around the house.

Probably also going to try to pull off installing a tornado shelter due to the insane amount of those we've had here and had a lot of friends end up with damage from them.

#241368 - 02/17/12 04:56 AM Re: Your prep goals for the year? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Re heater - you'll want to avoid anything that burns fuel indoors...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.