Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240396 - 02/01/12 11:15 PM 64 year old tub of lard still edible
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
So you're lost and desperately hungry, and come across an old trapper's cabin with a tin of 1940s lard in the cupboard. Dare you eat it?

ROSTOCK - A German pensioner who had kept a tub of lard in his cupboard for 64 years, took it to authorities who pronounced it very much fit for consumption - if a little tasteless.

Retired chemist Hans Feldmeier, 87, told AFP he had received the pig fat as a student in 1948 near the northern city of Rostock as part of the post-war U.S. aid program.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/food/year+lard+found+Germany+still+edible/6084898/story.html

#240398 - 02/02/12 12:07 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Even better story than that guy who had something like 50 year old Mountain House freeze-dried cans tucked away in the attic and found that they were still pretty tasty. I remember someone posted that story about Mountain House on here a while ago.

If benjammin were still around, he'd be nodding his head since he's such a big fan of pemmican. Dehydrated, ground lean meat mixed with a natural, saturated fat like lard (Actually, maybe it was another kind of fat, and not lard. I forget the recipe.) will keep for many years at room temperature without spoiling or going rancid.

I should get up the courage to try making homemade pemmican some time. I don't think there's a store bought pemmican that will keep that long. To save wear and tear on their machines with really tough jerky, I don't think any of the mass produced ones dehydrate their meat as thoroughly as it should be dried out before grinding and mixing with the fat. I think I read that somewhere on one brand's website.

I do most of my cooking with virgin coconut oil, another saturated fat. Stable when cooking at high heat, and won't go rancid for a very long time. I have yet to have a batch go rancid on me so it's my choice for long term storage. And has many purported health benefits. A good brand has a very mild, basically indistinguishable taste. I also spread it on toast like butter.

I suspect that too many of us unknowingly cook with partially rancid cooking oils, particularly any of the various types of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, like corn, because they oxidize rather quickly. And rancid oil is very bad for the body. Actually, that's the primary reason to hydrogenate vegetables oils--to make them more shelf stable, like saturated fats. Such as lard. Ironic, no?

Edited by Arney (02/02/12 01:46 AM)

#240400 - 02/02/12 01:51 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
You first...

I am also a virgin coconut oil user for everything where butter or oil is used. Tasty stuff.

#240401 - 02/02/12 01:52 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
It is my fervent wish for me, my family, and all of you, that we never be so hungry as to have to consider slurping down 64 year old hog lard. Amen

#240402 - 02/02/12 01:57 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Have you tried Tanka bars? I have been using them for about three years and I like them a lot. They are high in protein and are very tasty. They are eessentially a variety of pemmican - buffalo meat and cranberries.

Officially, they have a shelf life of one year, but I have consumed several that have gone well beyond their due date and they were fine. They are slightly moist, so I doubt they can last for a very long time.

They do have durable packaging which can survive for a long time in the bottom of your pack or BOB.

No affiliation, etc., but I am happy to support Native American enterprises.

#240405 - 02/02/12 02:13 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Have you tried Tanka bars? I have been using them for about three years and I like them a lot. They are high in protein and are very tasty. They are eessentially a variety of pemmican - buffalo meat and cranberries.

Officially, they have a shelf life of one year, but I have consumed several that have gone well beyond their due date and they were fine. They are slightly moist, so I doubt they can last for a very long time.

They do have durable packaging which can survive for a long time in the bottom of your pack or BOB.

No affiliation, etc., but I am happy to support Native American enterprises.

I ate a bunch of those last summer. Moist, tasty, and best of all.....not salty!

#240413 - 02/02/12 05:06 AM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I just went to Amazon to look up Tanka bars and had to laugh that they were being sold in "New" condition. Also, do we have lard "authorities" in the states?

#240435 - 02/02/12 03:06 PM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Oh! I thought the thread was going to be about cannibalism.

#240437 - 02/02/12 03:48 PM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
laugh

#240442 - 02/02/12 04:34 PM Re: 64 year old tub of lard still edible [Re: GarlyDog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
I just went to Amazon to look up Tanka bars and had to laugh that they were being sold in "New" condition. Also, do we have lard "authorities" in the states?

I'll bet that Tanka bars sold in "slightly used" condition have to be marked down considerably....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.