Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#236920 - 12/06/11 11:45 PM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For many of us, rappelling is a fairly frequent activity. Most of my recent rappels have involved recovery of archaeological and paleontological materials from vertical sea cliffs, not just sport climbing.

#237018 - 12/08/11 11:27 AM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
More interesting, but highly unlikely events;

Cougar attacks ( the cat kind)

Ufo/ Zombie uprising or super eight being a viable format.

Rappelling in any way shape or form

Boring but quite likely;

Stuck in the airport

Kitchen/ engine fire

Loss of electric power

At my age, the feline-cougar attack is far more likely than the primate-couger attack... wink

#237511 - 12/17/11 07:17 PM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...lol smart remark here about tip-up carry!

#239750 - 01/20/12 04:15 PM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Shark attack is another cool, but very unlikely event.

#239755 - 01/20/12 04:50 PM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Shark attack is another cool, but very unlikely event.

But factual.

From the cruise ship thread, how about the comment about a liferaft getting sucked under as the ship sinks below them. The MythBusters tried to test this claim IIRC and couldn't generate any real downward suction in their experiments. Has there ever been a documented case of this happening? (Watching Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet get sucked under in the movie Titanic doesn't count. smile )

Then again, the MythBuster crew didn't have a cruise ship the size of a small town to experiment with.

#239800 - 01/21/12 11:13 AM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm curious about that, too. My dad did 2 tours on aircraft carriers during the Viet Nam War. He told me they were trained to get a certain distance out if forced to abandon ship to avoid being sucked under when it sank. But I don't know if that was based on any sound science, either. Although of course the USN has plenty of wartime experience with ships being sunk.

#240420 - 02/02/12 07:12 AM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: hikermor]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
My favorite unlikely scenario is being attacked/killed by predators in the wilds. Being chewed upon by a mountain lion, black bear, coyote, rattlesnake, etc. essentially ain't gonna happen. You are more likely to suffer death or injury at the hands of honey bees or dogs (well, they don't have hands, but you get the point).

Compared to deaths and injuries resulting from falls and drowning, the injuries from wild animals are hardly worth bothering about. It follow that carrying weapons to ward off those attacks is a waste of resources. There are good reasons for weapons, but wild animals are not among them.

Probably the most hazardous activity in which we engage is driving our vehicles.

And yet, and yet... There is a post in this forum right now about some kids in survival training getting mauled by a bear...
(I have not read the post yet, so I may have the details wrong, if so, sorry.)

#240422 - 02/02/12 07:33 AM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: fooman]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: fooman
Well, the car in water thing has happened to me before due to flash floods. Turned out to be waist deep as I got out of the car. Also discovered that power windows don't work after that. I now keep a seatbelt cutter and window hammer in the vehicle.

Three, or was it four, times for me. The worst time was in December, or January about 16 years ago, and the water was cold.
That was the only time I ever got excited in an emergency.
Got a case of the giggles that did not want to go away.
But that was a VERY bad winter for me, as my mother had just died in a car crash a few days before... All kinds of things one after the other...
It actually surprised me, as I am normally almost TOO calm in emergencies. When our building caught fire, and lost power, I handed out flashlights to people walking down the fire stairwell(which was filled with smoke and pitch black because it was the backup generator exploding that took out the emergency generator, and THAT took out the special generator that was supposed to keep the fire stairwell lighted and smoke free!?!? shocked frown eek confused ).
For that matter, I was not even excited while I was having my heart attack this last December. I sometimes think that there is something a little off with my adrenalin response.

Edited by jamesraykenney (02/02/12 07:44 AM)

#240423 - 02/02/12 07:38 AM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: ironraven]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Low probability like being the wrong place and time when another shooter misses? I still think you should carry a "blow out" kit in your range bag and hunting gear, but statistically speaking it almost never happens.

I am more likely to have a trauma bandage with me than a band aid when ever I am out and about, because I figure that a little cut(while MUCH more likely) is not too dangerous if treatment is delayed, but a piercing wound is not something where you want to have to improvise on the spot where time is of the essence.

#240436 - 02/02/12 03:15 PM Re: Playing the odds - interesting but not factual [Re: jamesraykenney]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney

I am more likely to have a trauma bandage with me than a band aid when ever I am out and about, because I figure that a little cut(while MUCH more likely) is not too dangerous if treatment is delayed, but a piercing wound is not something where you want to have to improvise on the spot where time is of the essence.

That's my philosophy too, James. Mom is translated by some cultures to mean "Provider of the bandaids" so I'm very likely to have both but, I edc a bandana, not bandaids, in part because bandaids aren't nearly as time sensitive are getting a pressure bandage into action.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.