Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#148346 - 09/10/08 10:37 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: benjammin]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I too have been trying to aquire a used copy of the SAS survival flickbook to no avail...
So lemme throw this out to everybody.... anybody have a spare copy they are willing to part with for a reasonable price? The only time I've found one it was over a hundred bucks.....
P.M. If ya have one and are willing. Thanks all.

-Bill Liptak

#148350 - 09/10/08 10:46 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Is it practical advice for survival 'in the wild, in any climate, on land or at sea' or is it just a nice read for aspiring 'Walters'?

I'm going to give the confounding answer: yes. It, like everything else in this field, as Walter Mitty as it's owner is.

I find that it is a much more complete and up to date item than the timeless (and dated) DoD 21-76. It suffers from the focusless breadth of it's USGI counterpart, but it does have more depth. I think it is a little more focused on the primitive survival/bushcraft aspect, but once you've covered the basics, pretty much every manual over a quarter inch thick will have that problem. *Laughs*

I like it. I have a copy of the original British version, and the Pocket Books version. The later, I think, is the best form factor for a pack, although it is printed on simple, cheap paper, not waterproofed. *shrugs* Ziplocks. For the bookshelf, it should be joined by others- I rather like Lundin, but he is far from the only one.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#148353 - 09/10/08 10:51 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: ironraven]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bu flickbook, do you mean the cards on a button that fan out?

#148355 - 09/10/08 11:07 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
I have the over-sized version. It was one of my first survival books and really got me thinking about survival and kits. It is one of my favorites. It is kind of a classic. I also have the flick book, which I picked up on ebay in the book section. There is a lot of stuff you won't use, but it definitely gets you thinking about different ways to do things.

If I had to pick another it would be Cody Lundins book (The Art of Keeping Your A** Alive).

My latest manual I obtained is kind of a home-made job. It has some good info but generally made for SERE guys.

http://www.usrsog.org/index.htm

Edited by Matt (09/10/08 11:08 PM)

#148356 - 09/10/08 11:13 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: Matt]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Yea, the waterproofed cards attached by a grommet or some other fastner-thingie (that's the high tech word) so that they fan out

-Bill Liptak

#148369 - 09/11/08 12:08 AM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My copy is from 1986. I don't agree with everything in it, but I agree with a lot also, well over 50%. For someone starting out from square one it should be very useful...

#148373 - 09/11/08 12:22 AM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

For me personally, it has too much information that I don't need. I don't envision myself ever being in the Arctic, so that stuff can go. I don't even go to the beach, let alone in the ocean. So that stuff can go.

#148378 - 09/11/08 01:05 AM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
True, but I figure that it is a "one book does all" kinda thing. Much easier than having an Arctic book, ocean book, jungle book (no offense Walt), etc...

#148565 - 09/12/08 01:35 AM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
True, but I figure that it is a "one book does all" kinda thing. Much easier than having an Arctic book, ocean book, jungle book (no offense Walt), etc...

I agree. There are multiple copies of the book in my BOB, hiking and fishing kits for years. I have tried many of the techniques (with vary degrees of success) in the book while I was in the Arctic, near desert and on or near the ocean.

Although some of the ideas and techniques in the book are outdated and or esoteric, I still think the book is one of the better references out there...and for the current $7.95 price and the very small size of the GEM edition it is a bargain.

#148627 - 09/12/08 02:11 PM Re: SAS Survival handbook - Your Views. [Re: ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I own the big one...it's kinda heavy. Not very good for a BOB. But makes for some ok reading.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.