The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240260 - 01/30/12 03:33 AM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: Chisel]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Not really the same thing, one's for food the other for wood. I have a very heavy duty cleaver by F. dick, and it doesn't come close in chopping potential to a hatchet, and you can forget about splitting.

#240270 - 01/30/12 04:01 PM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: Chisel]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have often thought that large butchers knives would make for a good bush knife.They often appear to have little difference, other than a typical butcher knife can be purchased for $1 at flea markets and the sellers want $20 for the bush knife.

Bob

#240277 - 01/30/12 05:56 PM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: Chisel]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
To provide contrast, a meat cleaver is exactly that - a MEAT cleaver. In the butcher shop it is a cutting tool, not a chopping tool. Can it be used that way, of course, but it is not made for it.

Even among chopping tools, the sharpening is designed for a particular purpose. My conifer limbing axe is set up differently from an axe for cutting oak. A machete is designed for thin flexable materials. The design of the cleaver head and the sharpening are not well designed for chopping of wood. Easy to bend or break an edge.

Iodine is for application to a wound (depending on which protocol you subscribe to), alcohol is not. Alcohol is for cleaning and sterilizing a tool or intact skin. Iodine is not as good for this.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#240293 - 01/30/12 08:55 PM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: JerryFountain]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
To provide contrast, a meat cleaver is exactly that - a MEAT cleaver. In the butcher shop it is a cutting tool, not a chopping tool. Can it be used that way, of course, but it is not made for it.

Butchers usually use a knife for processing meat, then use a larger knife , or a cleaver, to chop bones. That is what made me think : if a cleaver can chop bones , why not wood ?

A saw is lighter off course, but it is a single-use tool. A hatchet, or anything heavy like a cleaver in this case, may be used for more scenarios. But I agree with most here that a cleaver's head weight is spread thin, and does not have the versatility of a hatchet. For example, you can use the other side of a hatchet head as a hammer. A cleaver is too thin for such a job. And it can't be used as a micro-shovel because it is not balanced that way, plus it is mostly associated with food, so if you use it to dig a toilet hole, then you have to toss it away or toss the food away!

About the swabs , seems I have to keep both, just in case.

#240294 - 01/30/12 09:05 PM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: Chisel]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I'm no expert here either.

I've talked to various nurses who do wound care. They tell me that iodine (and swabs) is much too aggressive for use on human tissue. It can damage healthy tissue - which is not what you want to do with a wound. Alcohol is fine for cleaning skin, or cleaning skin surface around a wound (to remove outer contamination). You can do the old Clint Eastwood thing, and clean your "knife wounds" with whiskey if you want. It does kill bacteria. But it hurts a lot and is also aggressive on wounds. Remember to smoke a cigar if you want to add authenticity to the image.

By the way ...

Honey is good for minor scrapes. Works well. Use raw honey - esp. honey from bees in the mountains.

And open wounds (with flesh missing) can be packed with granulated sugar. Just straight sugar that you buy from the supermarket. Pour it right into the wound, then cover the surface with a povidone dressing (which keeps out unfriendly bacteria - but does not attack organisms inside the wound). The dry sugar absorbs water and creates an anaerobic condition that stops bacterial growth. Sugar dressings should be replaced every 4-6 hours after they become goopy (like syrup). That happens because body fluids soak into the wound site. Wash out the old sugar and replace with fresh dry sugar.
Sugar should not be used immediately on a bleeding wound because it can inhibit clotting.
The sugar treatment is one possible outdoors treatment, if no medical aid is close by and a wound needs to be stabilized against infection.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (01/30/12 09:08 PM)

#240298 - 01/30/12 09:45 PM Re: Q: What is the difference ? [Re: Chisel]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
There are many grades of cleaver. One one end there's my Shun Chinese cleaver which has a rock hard paper thin edge hat will chip on semi frozen meat, and the other end the F dick I mentioned earlier with edge thicker than my hatchet. I think there are more extreme examples but I've never seen any in person.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.