Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240236 - 01/29/12 04:27 PM The 11th essential item - leave mom a note
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you're going into the woods ( desert, etc) the other thing you should do is leave a note with someone -- or 2 someones -- as to where you are going and when to start looking. Saves the guys in SAR oh so much time....

-- who

-- Where

-- how long

-- gear/ training

-- any medical issues

- communications gear? ( cell? walkie talkies? PRB?)

#240239 - 01/29/12 05:45 PM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i may have said this before but i do that before i go off on the two week solo canoe trips.along with a photo of me and the tent,canoe,PFD..so on.left on the dining room table it's also for the police/EMT to know where i am if something happens at home.
God Forbid...

#240252 - 01/30/12 12:23 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
A great reminder. Thanks.

#240253 - 01/30/12 12:28 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: MoBOB]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
So true. It makes it so much easier for SAR.

#240256 - 01/30/12 01:03 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is a good idea even in non-wilderness excursions.

#240257 - 01/30/12 01:49 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
If you're concerned about helping the local SAR Team, leave your ego at home and contact them to get current info on what would help them before you go out. They might also have info you wouldn't have regarding current conditions you may be unaware of.

If you are out and discover that you are lost... STAY PUT!!!

I know, I know ...it's just around the bend, just over the hill, just over there, that spot looks familiar, that going downhill will get you out of any trouble and I'm sure you could get home without the help of SAR...but to HELP the SAR guys, stay put.

You might also consider leaving your recorded shoe track and a scent article (ask the team where and how), a list of all items including all food and snack containers you will be carrying and the name and number of the person you left your info with and who you would contact first when you get out. If something goes awry and you come out in a different location than planned and the time has come for notification to the agency responsible for SAR operations, call them immediately and inform them of the situation in addition to notifying your contact person. Do that before you go home, cleanup and have dinner.

The longer you wander around to try to find a way out, the longer SAR personnel are at risk responding and searching for you and the more tax dollars are being spent bringing in more and more resources as the perimeter expands.

Don't take this as all-inclusive info, I've been out of it a few years.

This is taken from the internet: http://tracker.sbsar.org/accident/Search%20and%20Rescue%20deaths.pdf

Edit: This was not meant as a rant; if it was taken that way, the rant is over.

Edited by Basecamp (01/30/12 01:53 AM)

#240259 - 01/30/12 03:27 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It's a good idea in day to day life too. My wife and I communicate our comings and goings via text since we are always going in different directions. At least we know when we have to start worrying.

#240263 - 01/30/12 10:12 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, if you want to tip the balance in your favour, you provide that critical starting point. That makes the difference.

The simplest note changes everything. It's not the 11th item, it's the item that happens first, and the other ten follow. (Semantics maybe, but indulge me.) It is the first thing you do, before you strap on your 10 essentials. Always.

It's perhaps more important in the small trips than the big ones. Preps for a major trip include all standard notifications, planning for contingencies, etc. But in a local trip, I can cover a lot of ground in a 30-minute drive, and much more within an hour. That puts me into a range of different terrain. And it's a lot of square miles to cover, just to find my car.

Contrast that with the simplest method: a post-it note in the bathroom mirror. Gone for a stomp, Dearest, out at ____x____, back for supper/ before dark.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/30/12 10:14 AM)

#240276 - 01/30/12 05:54 PM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd pint some up* and put them in your box with checklists - Mush easier to do if you have one handy

( * examples?)

#240320 - 01/31/12 03:10 AM Re: The 11th essential item - leave mom a note [Re: TeacherRO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I give DW that information whenever I'm going out on an adventure. I also include:
-what time to start worrying if I don't call.
-what time to call the cops/rescue people if I haven't returned.
-google map with directions to where I'm going and location of trailhead where I'm parked.
-phone number of park ranger's office (if there is one).
-copy of my trail map with direction of travel marked.

She gets both a printout and e-mail with all this info. It gives her much comfort.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.