Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240233 - 01/29/12 04:21 PM #1 Cardio
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#1 If you need to walk/ run for any amount of time, you'll need cardio fitness.And its great exercise - even just walking 20-30 mins.

#240265 - 01/30/12 02:33 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Agreed, but it's frustrating when I work out 5 days/ week and still can't lose weight.

Typically 45 minutes of weights and 30ish minutes of cardio. Yes, I should up the cardio, but I'm just not motivated enough to do it.

#240269 - 01/30/12 03:42 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
MD -- you'll appreciate the article at One of the Worst Forms of Exercise There Is

The article starts out discussing endurance races and the acute effects of extreme exercise on the heart (specifically right ventricular function). Then they continue with the benefits of high-intensity interval training -- more efficient and more effective. Good read.

#240271 - 01/30/12 04:14 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fascinating article. I'll need to read it again. Some of us of a certain age can remember when marathoning was the sure fire preventive for heart attacks.

As an archaeologist, I really relate to the point that an optimum exercise routine recreates the hunter-gatherer environment in which we evolved. makes sense to me....

#240275 - 01/30/12 05:49 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, I'm on the long side too. Working out yesterday with a guy ~half my age doing leg extensions. We rotated sets and the only "rest" we had was the time the other guy took to complete a set, and then add or delete 45# plates on the machine. That was one of the best cardiac workouts I'd had in a while.

Interval training, cross-training, circuit training -- all good. My days of racking up miles damaging my knees is way behind me. Legs are much stronger for it.

#240278 - 01/30/12 06:00 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Interesting, though it appears to be an ad for Peak Fitness! Interestingly, the New England Journal of Medicine had 2 articles related to runners and heart attacks this month.

Cardiac Arrest during Long-Distance Running Races

and

Acute Coronary Thrombosis in Boston Marathon Runners

both from Jan 12, 2012 editions. I can email the PDF's if you're interested.

#240281 - 01/30/12 07:21 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Meh, experts are always come up with the new improved solution to fitness. I say the best solution is to experiment and listen to your own body.

For me, variety is the key. Once my body gets used to something, I need to change it up. Hiking, jogging, sprinting, swimming, biking, jump roping, lifting, super-setting, cross-fitting. They're all part of the mix. I find my knees, ankles, and other body joints, function much better when I incorporate jogging or jump roping into my routine, as long as I don't overdo it. I think my body's build naturally wants these activities.

In contrast, a body that is built like a boxy Strong Man is probably going to respond well to flipping truck tires everyday. I'm not built like that.

#240288 - 01/30/12 08:24 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Meh, experts are always come up with the new improved solution to fitness. I say the best solution is to experiment and listen to your own body.

For me, variety is the key.

Agree on both counts.

About the article: I have a strong dislike when the distinction between scientific facts, advertisements and some hot-shot favourite programme gets blurred. It trips my B.S. meter. This article is very typical: It sets the stage by quoting scientific results (article X,Y,Z says marathon is bad for you), then slides into promoting whatever programme (definitively not marathon, so it's goot to be good for you - right?).

I am also very sceptical about those maximum intensity excercises. By stacking up so you can't do more than four to eight reps - max - then you're also at high risk for permanent injuries. Such a programme requires supervision by someone who knows what he's doing.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (01/30/12 08:24 PM)

#240296 - 01/30/12 09:14 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"optimum exercise routine recreates the hunter-gatherer environment in which we evolved. makes sense to me...."

Me too.
And i have noticed that when I visit indigenous peoples in Africa who still retain their old lifestyle - they are pretty healthy. They are not overweight. Their diet contains little sugar or prepared foods. The vege's are all organic. And most importantly - they do lots and lots of walking every day. Their bones are strong, and it's nothing for them to walk 10-20 miles a day. They sometimes eat significant amounts of meat or fat at lunchtime (not always -just when it is available)... but it does not seem to harm their health. The constant walking burns off the calories and the body handles it just fine.

In addition, they prepare a special extract from certain roots which they claim assists the body to burn off extra fat. I don't know why it works. But they insist that it does. Interesting. I told them to market it - but they just laugh. :-)

If these people move to the city (in Africa) and adopt a western lifestyle - with much less walking - then they start having all the same problems we do. More obesity. More heart attacks.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (01/30/12 09:15 PM)

#240301 - 01/30/12 09:48 PM Re: #1 Cardio [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Years ago I directed a dig in Canyon de Chelly, Arizona, where we retrieved exquisitely preserved material, including enough varied evidence of diet that we were able to do a pretty good reconstruction of their daily food intake. At the time, I thought, "they are not getting enough meat!" That when I was in my juicy hamburger phase, and I thought a nice steak the perfect ending to the day.

What they ate was pretty much what you describe -lots of veggies, with the occasional bit of meat - maybe 20% of the total caloric intake. One of our researchers (the gentleman who analyzed the recovered feces) tried living on their diet as we reconstructed it, and he thrived!

I think it is pretty clear that we should move our bods more, and eat less meat. I rarely eat hamburgers anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.