Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240127 - 01/26/12 05:44 PM Question For You Knife Craftman.
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would post this at a knife site but as long as i'm here i'll see what you folks think.
i'm putting a leather disc handle on a home made knife.i have all the parts ready to go and the clamp fixture to squeeze the discs into a sold handle.any ideas on what glue to use? one book said a 2 part epoxy but i have used that on other projects and it's a sticky mess.water proof wood glue was another and that sounds like it would be better,that person even said to cut it with water.last is Barge glue.that came up because it was used in the "old days" and those knives are still going strong.
any feedback would be helpful--thanks.

#240138 - 01/26/12 09:01 PM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Couldn't tell you the best glue. But I would suggest that before you ruin your really good knife blade - that you try out the glue and bonding process with some leather samples & metal from your local hardware store.

Good luck!
Pete2

#240147 - 01/26/12 10:46 PM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pete..smart move!..i'll do that,i have enough leather discs to put a few together with different glues..
here are a couple shots of the work so far.

the blade go's into the slot in the wood,it's covered with duct tape now,that will hold it while i compress the leather discs.

the whole thing is wrapped in wax paper to keep any glue off the blade.i'll post some shots when i'm done

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/26/12 11:06 PM)

#240172 - 01/27/12 04:48 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: ]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
There are different ways to do it. At it's simplest, you can just squeeze the leather handle washers on tight (with threaded butt cap, peened butt cap, etc...) with no glue at all. Shape the handle to almost finished. Then soak the leather handle in boiling parafin wax long enough for it to really penetrate (it will also give the knife tang some rust protection). Then final finish it out. The wax will make everything a solid block and preserve the leather. If it's done right, it will last forever.

If you want to use glue, a rubber cement like Barge is fine, but you still need to wax or preserve the leather. I've done a couple of them and used both methods. It's just really what you think is best/easier for you.

#240173 - 01/27/12 05:31 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: lukus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Canoe Dogs

If you get a chance ... post some more pix as you do that handle. I'd like to see how it works out. I haven't seen a project done like that before - pretty interesting idea.

Pete2

#240175 - 01/27/12 07:23 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

lots of good info here,the Blade Forum stuff sounded a bit complex as i don't want to dye anything and i wonder if for a first try i would want to go the bees wax soak route.i was thinking of just a lot of Neatsfoot Oil and light sand papering until i got a got finish.the idea about finishing the tang so it would not rust is a very good one and i'll work on that,wax?rust proof paint? varnish?
i have on my desk at the moment two knives with stacked handles.
one is my Dads WW2 Cattaraugus sheath knife and after 70 or so years is still in very good shape.the other is from the late 80's,a Blackjack that i was going to use as a canoeing knife but it's a bit heavy on my belt.both those are examples of what i'm shooting for.

#240177 - 01/27/12 08:22 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Just a couple of thoughts from a non-expert.

When people still used the old-style wood-and-rawhide showshoes, it was standard practice to put a couple of coats of exterior grade varnish on both the wood and the leather at the start of each season. This would keep everything tight, light, and dry. Until it was abraded off by snow.

Alternatively, I suppose you could soak the handle with liquid silicone (the kind used to re-waterproof tent flies etc.). Penetrating, inexpensive, and likely quite effective.

My 2c.

#240179 - 01/27/12 10:54 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
The couple of production leather handle knives I know are all made without any sort of glue. If you use paraffin wax as said earlier the leather will turn into almost hard plastic like and literally indestructible.

#240192 - 01/27/12 10:13 PM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Non-expert comments cont'd:

Paraffin wax is an interesting idea, since it will soak into the leather's pores. And you have a firestarting candle/handle with you at all times (I kid, I kid). But I wonder if its waterproofing would extend to the carbon steel tang in a consistent way (think freeze/thaw and humidity changes).

On the other hand, what about other modern materials? Last fall, I sealed some windows with GE exterior grade silicone that has a 35 year warranty. A knife handle is a fairly rigid structure; could this be glue and sealant all in one?

#240199 - 01/28/12 01:27 AM Re: Question For You Knife Craftman. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

I've made a few knives, although nothing with stacked leather. Spent alot of time on the bladeforums makers area, so I've at least read alot. Biggest thing about epoxy is accuracy in mixing, guessing that pile A is the same size as pile B, and then mixing together is not accurate. Generally bad experiences with epoxy are from this. That, and the stuff you find at the hardware store isn't that great.

I had a longer reply typed up, but the more I thought about it, the more I was unsure, so I figured instead of telling you something that might be wrong, I'll simply point you to bladeforums (go to the makers section, not any of the general areas), and ask those guys. Plenty of them do this for a living, and should be able to instruct you fairly well (search first so you will be at least partially informed).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.