Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2381 - 11/01/01 05:53 AM Re: Saws
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Sorry Hunter but I disagree. Ideally we should be the "grey man", neither a threat nor a helpless oaf. Let's face it, when we see someone with all new shiny Gucci kit, our first response is to think of that person as someone with more cash than capability. Therefore they are a wonderful and profitable victim. A threat intimidates thereby never learning all they need. An obvious victim gets, well, victimized. Me, I want to be the grey man. It's the ideal camoflage, and preserves the element of surprise, should that be needed. When I see someone with practical and a bit worn kit, it tells me they are experienced, and therefore have some working knowledge. It isn't flashy but it works.<br><br>Of course, ideally, we keep our brains turned on and avoid that 95% of havards that can be avoided. Getting home to the wife is the best reward, but it means sacrificing some juicy over-a-beer stories.

#2382 - 11/01/01 01:57 PM Re: Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another advantage to keeping a low profile with your gear is that you are more likely to hold on to it. Remember Doug's problem with his Leatherman Wave being stolen right off his belt in Miami Beach? If it can't be seen, it's less likely to attract the attention of a thief and more likely to be there when you really need it.

#2383 - 11/01/01 02:58 PM Re: Saws
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
I looked around and found the Laplander at: http://www.gardensgreen.com/folding_saws.htm<br><br>Have a look there!

#2384 - 11/01/01 06:42 PM Re: Saws
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Oddly enough, I've found that a drywall saw is a handy tool in the yard for puning small branches (up to 3 inches, YMMV). Appox. 5 inch blade, aggresive teeth thgat don't glog, sturdy handle, and cheap!

#2385 - 11/08/01 04:09 AM Re: Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone had a chance to compare the saws found in SAKs vs. the saws found in Leatherman's Juice and Wave?<br><br>I bought a BCB saw for my survival tin. I haven't played with it much, but my initial impression was I'd far rather rely on a saw in an SAK.

#2386 - 11/08/01 04:59 AM Re: Saws
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What are you going to saw? None of these tools is going to lay in a cord of wood for a winter camp. The small saws on multi tools are very good at making precise notches for deadfalls or for lashing paracord to poles when you want a little more finess. the wire saw's strength is in it's compactness and manipulation. If you had to disarticulate a large game animal, they are good for getting into cartilagenous tissue and awkward cuts requiring flexibility.

#2387 - 11/08/01 02:53 PM Re: Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug wrote the following about the Wave's saw in his review:<br><br>"The double row wood saw is 2 15/16 inches (77mm) long with aggressive teeth for 2 1/2 inches (64mm). The cutting portion is the same size as that of the saw in the Super Tool and it works just as well, equal to the best and very effective on both hard and soft wood with minimal clogging. As with the knife blades, there is a definite advantage to having the cutting edge of the saw aligned with the "bottom" of the tool when working with it."<br><br>Based on my observations, the Victorinox SAK saws are essentailly identical to the Wave's with identical measurements. I haven't done a head-to-head cutting test, but I would be surprised if you could tell any difference at all.<br><br>I'm not sure about the Juice's Saw, but I believe it has the same tooth design, but the size is a bit scaled-down to fit in the smaller tool. Probably losing between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in cutting length and also losing some depth, particularly at the base.<br><br>I agree that I wouldn't expect to get a lot of heavy cutting through regular use of a wire saw. I see mine as purely an emergency device. I don't intend to use it for much more than cutting a few shelter poles, gathering a little fire wood and a few other cuts here and there. I'm sure it will stand up to that, but I won't be building a log cabin with it.

#2388 - 11/08/01 04:04 PM Re: Saws
peanut Offline
Journeyman

The BCB, or any wire saw I suspect, is prone to binding, especially when wrapped about halfway around the wood. I know this is the instinctive way to use it, but I find it works better rigged as a bow saw with a green limb. You're right, a SAK saw is much better, but the BCB will get the job done in a pinch. I haven't gotten to play with the Leatherman's, but I am a bit surprised that none of the tools on the juice lock....

#2389 - 04/17/04 03:37 AM Re: Saws
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a small orange handled folding saw at wally world with a metal and a wood cuttting blade.
they are just shortened hack saw blades but work pretty good.
then I took a recip blade and modified it to fit this folding saw.
now it has one very good blade and 2 decent blades.
only drawback is it doesn't lock.
not too big a problem when cutting on the back stroke.

#2390 - 04/26/04 10:59 PM Re: victorinox sak campers available
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
hey i just came across this link, they are selling the knives there.
not sure if its the same you had but it might help.

http://www.shopping.com/xDN-Sport_and_Outdoor--camping_and_hiking-sp_brand_victorinox

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 428 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.