Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#239940 - 01/23/12 04:28 PM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is a good exercise, but it is difficult to execute on land. Terrain with brush that is head high will not allow one to usually walk in anything like a straight line, but trying it will certainly show some of the problems.

On water, it is a different story. Just add night or fog and you have great conditions for this exercise. A compass is many times more useful on the water, compared to a good many terrestrial environments.

#239956 - 01/23/12 08:26 PM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: jshannon
I wouldn't get any book, but would check online sites. No need to spend money.

http://kifaru.net/navigate1.htm

I find that books are more complete than what I can find online. The Internet is great for quick references and sometimes it has great articles such as those written by Dr. Brent Blue and Doug Ritter but a book is more in depth on its given subject.

Jeanette Isabelle

They have internet books smile
The one Alan posted, from National Wildfire Coordinating Group, PMS 475 --- Basic Land Navigation --- June 2007
From US Army FM 3-25.26: Map Reading And Land Navigation
From Australian Emergency Management, Manual 36 Map Reading and Navigation
From Washington State University, EM2474 Outdoor Navigation with Map and Compass

Via BackcountryAttitude, wikipedia, and some search engines
REI Navigation Basics: Map and Compass
Helping Your Child Learn Geography
Finding Your Way with Map and Compass
How To Use a Compass with a USGS Topographic Map
What Do Maps Show?
27 Ideas for Teaching With Topographic Maps
Introduction to Topographic Maps
How to use a compass
OA Guide to Map & Compass part of The Backpacker's Field Manual
A RuckSack primer on... Land navigation: Tactics & strategies for using maps, compasses, ranger pacing beads, & GPS units to solve complex navigational problems in the bush
THE AMERICAN PRACTICAL NAVIGATOR, maritime navigation

Instructor/Student handbook and slideshows, ppt/pdf LAND NAVIGATION with MAP and LENSATIC COMPASS Teach yourself and others in the knowledge of "WILDERNESS TRAVEL"

United States National Grid
Demonstration of USNG on a Google Map
http://nationalatlas.gov/
http://nationalmap.gov/

Now that is a very comprehensive listing. Thank you.

Blake

#239963 - 01/24/12 12:09 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
http://dallassierraclub.org/calendar.htm?c=out

Mar 14 (Wed) Wilderness Navigation Class - Part 1
Learn the fundamentals of finding your way in the wilderness in this two evening class. Among the subjects covered are: purchasing maps, how to read maps, how not to get lost, what to do if you do get lost, GPS, different kinds of compasses, and how to use your compass. If you have a compass, bring it to the class. If you don't have one, we will show you what to look for when you purchase one. The class will be held at the Dallas REI store (second floor program room). 4515 LBJ Freeway, north side, between Midway and Welch. This two-night class (second night March 15) will start promptly at 6:30 PM and will finish at about 8:45 PM. The fee for the class is $15 for Sierra Club members and $20 for non-members (CASH or CHECK ONLY). No reservations are necessary; just show up. Contact: Bill Greer 972-964-1781(h)

Mar 15 (Thu) Wilderness Navigation Class - Part 2
This is the second night a two part class. See the class listing above (March 14) for details. Contact: Bill Greer 972-964-1781(h)

#239965 - 01/24/12 12:27 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Update: I checked the online catalog. The Central Library, Dallas, has two available copies of Be Expert With Map & Compass by Bjorn Hjellstrom. What I did not check is the days the Central Library is open. Most likely the earliest day I can make it back is Friday.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239966 - 01/24/12 12:46 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

You do need the right terrain and vegetation. I usually do it in certain parts of the desert, where local bushes grow above eye level, but there is reasonable room to walk between them. A landscpae dotted with occasional trees would also work fine. You need enough brush cover to obscure your original starting point.

In principle, it can also be done on a perfectly flat field. Just place a quarter on the grass where you start, and see how close you come to the coin when you get back to "Home". It's just a matter of having no visible ladmarks near the startign point that will allow you to (subsconsciously) cheat :-)

cheers,
pete2

#239968 - 01/24/12 12:58 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: jshannon]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: jshannon
If you have a compass, bring it to the class. If you don't have one, we will show you what to look for when you purchase one.

That is something I was wanting to address later, once I learn enough to know this is something I want to pursue further. What compass do I get? Doug Ritter and John McCann seem to recommend Suunto.

I am not broke but I have to watch my money. I do not want to buy a basic orienteering compass and later buy another compass if this turns out something I want to pursue. On the other hand I do not want to buy a higher-end compass only to find out this is something I do not want to pursue further.

As you can see, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Do I need an adjustable or a fixed declination correction scale in Texas?

Jeanette Isabelle

#239969 - 01/24/12 01:02 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

if I were to suffer your "ordeal," I would cheat like mad - taking an accurate compass bearing, relating to some sort of generally visible landmark in the distance ( mountain, tall tree, grain elevator- you name it), and then marching off, probably counting paces to handle the distance covered.

I know of no desert, at least here in North America, that fortunately isn't replete with all kinds of terrain features - at a very minimum, distant mountain ranges..

#239972 - 01/24/12 02:12 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bones996 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
The Suunto Partner A-10 is a good general purpose compass that runs for about $13-14. I have a Brunton 9020G which I have used for awhile & it has served me well. It is also a good general purpose compass in the same price range, either one would be a good choice.

#239974 - 01/24/12 03:04 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Orienteering can be done with a simple baseplate & capsule (Silva style) compass. That's how it started.

I've never tried walking a heading (never had reason to and probably wouldn't do it very well). I've steered a heading at sea, flown a heading in aircraft but when I'm out in the wilds I use orienteering-style navigation where the compass gives information but isn't a slavishly followed means of holding heading. I use catch features and topo visualization mostly.

I've assembled and taught a small land navigation instruction module for folks taking an aviation archeology course. We want them to stay found while looking for wrecks and feel that rudimentary navigation has to be covered.

JeanetteIsabelle shoot me a PM with your email and I'll email you my powerpoint.

#239975 - 01/24/12 03:59 AM Re: Learning Navigation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

As you can see, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Do I need an adjustable or a fixed declination correction scale in Texas?

Jeanette Isabelle

You definitely want an adjustable scale. In fact, I think that is the only type that is generally available. After all, you hopefully will be fortunate enough to leave DFW someday. In addition, declination is not a constant. It changes continually, although the change is measured in fractions of a degree per year and is typically inconsequential.

I really should apologize for the snarky comment about Dallas-Fort Worth. I spent way too much of my childhood in Dallas. Happiness was Big D in my rearview mirror.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.