The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#239352 - 01/15/12 02:44 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
One thing I do know, I never enjoy meeting a crusie liner, and I do mean, ANY Cruise Liner out at sea.

I have made safe passing agreements with everyone I have ever met and they have NEVER kept to the meeting agreement. We would both promise to turn right 10 degrees and they will consistently give me a 2 degree turn at the most.

The major factors in the M/V STOCKHOLM and M/V ANDREA DORIA collision was: 1) going too fast in limited visibility (sea fog, Both vessels), 2) Lack of knowledge and experience in using their RADAR (Andrea Doria), and 3) Departing from the Rules of the Road (Andrea Doria kept turning to the left/Port).

It all came down to the M/V ANDREA DORIA was more concerned in "docking in New York per their schedule" than in practising common sense and good seamanship, in adverse weather conditions.

#239354 - 01/15/12 04:28 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: wildman800]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
You wonder how a ship could run aground in the age of GPS, but it's happened before.
Excerpt from the book Taming Hal:
http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Grounding%20of%20the%20Royal%20Majesty.pdf

The short version is that the GPS antenna cable failed, so the GPS switched to ded reconing mode and kept on displaying what appeared to be a valid position, as well as feeding it to the autopilot.

You can blame it on a very poor human interface design, but the humans were also complacent and ignored a number of warning signs that all was not well, "bending the map" as described in Deep Survival.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#239361 - 01/15/12 07:47 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
This incident certainly seems to validate that statement, alnd thee are many other problems that result form packing a lot of people into a relatively small space. This is why I prefer a nice relaxing wilderness backpack or climb for a truly relaxing vacation.

I don't mind the dangers of a cruise ship, and my guess is that the actual risks are probably statistically small. I like the sea. But I'm more worried about having no escape from the 3,999 other passengers in what amounts to a hotel. That seems like a potential hell without even a disaster.

#239365 - 01/15/12 02:48 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Looks like they're trying to blame navigational error caused by an engineering casualty -- Power blackout could have caused Italian cruise disaster

Hmmm, when I turn my truck off the cheap (by cruise-ship standards) Garmin Nuvi asks me if I want it to keep running or shutdown, Yes or No -- then a 30 second countdown starts which ends with the Garmin shutting itself off -- otherwise it continues running on battery. My other GPS receivers run on internal batteries (AA/AAA) only and they can run most of a day without having to change those batteries. I don't want to second-guess the cruise ship industry, but just about any cheap handheld GPS loaded with nautical charts could have shown them to be way off course.

Back before GPS nav became the norm, a ship's Captain was held responsible for hitting things and running aground regardless of things malfunctioning. Things malfunctioning was the Captain's responsibility too. With a crew of 1000, I find it amusing that these ships have no apparent back-up to ship-powered GPS. Amusing and sad.

#239368 - 01/15/12 05:04 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Shouldn't someone have been looking out the window and noticed the giant obstacle called land? Those who navigate by GPS alone are asking for trouble. Your eyes can be really useful for avoiding problems. Use them.

#239370 - 01/15/12 05:19 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Russ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Looks like they're trying to blame navigational error caused by an engineering casualty -- Power blackout could have caused Italian cruise disaster

I don't want to second-guess the cruise ship industry, but just about any cheap handheld GPS loaded with nautical charts could have shown them to be way off course.

It seems like what the article suggests is not a GPS failure, but a complete engine and steering failure. From the article:

Quote:
According to this scenario, a power surge or "harmonic interference" could have caused a malfunction in the generators feeding the ship's six diesel-electric engines, while back-up systems failed to provide power with sufficient speed. This would have caused the ship to lose navigational power and steering control and to veer off course.

In other words, if this were your truck, it wouldn't be that the Garmin had shut off, but the engine that had shut off. Now, this article is hardly the final word, and I'm sure more details will emerge. There is supposed to be a black box on modern cruisers such as this, so we'll find out more.

Edited by Bingley (01/15/12 05:23 PM)

#239371 - 01/15/12 05:25 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Frisket]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frisket
A lightweight thin camelback style pack or fanny pack would be ideal in a cruise ship situation. Keeping not only everyday items but important survival items and tools on your person at all times is best. All them lights are useless when your nowhere's near your room.

Lightweight, thin, and SIMPLE would be important features on a ship. It essentially becomes a close-quarters situation where errant straps, buckles, or dangling doohickies become dangerous because they can snag. That's the last thing you need when navigating narrow confines that can be dark, flooded, and potentially upside down.

What a mess.

#239374 - 01/15/12 06:28 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
If they lost steering control, they are near enough a port it seems that a tender vessel might have been available to pull them to safety? I would think even another ship could have helped out? If you loose control so near to a hazard, might an option have been to drop an anchor while you are still in deep water?

It's seems like a slow motion disaster to me where options might have been available to prevent tragedy.

#239375 - 01/15/12 07:07 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: GarlyDog]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
According to this morning's New York Times article, divers have saved at least two people who were trapped inside the ship, and recovered a couple of bodies.

One thing I have been looking for, but have not yet seen, is a timeline of the sinking. How long was it from the ship first hitting the "rock like object" (as one article put it) until it rolled on it's side? In the MS Estonia disaster in the Baltic Sea, the ship had rolled 90 degrees in no more than 1/2 hour from the initial problem.

Whenever I get on any kind of boat or airplane, the first thing I try to do is locate and fix in my mind where the emergency exits and emergency gear are. When TSHTF things may happen very quickly.

#239377 - 01/15/12 07:46 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: chaosmagnet]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
At first blush, running aground sounds like an inexcusable error on the part of the crew.

According to Washington Post article, the crew did not give good evacuation instructions, didn't lower some of the lifeboats until the ship was listing too much for them to be lowered, and no evacuation drills were held. That is POSITIVELY inexcusable. I'll go with criminally irresponsible. According to CNN the captain is under arrest.

The cruise line had another fatal accident in 2010. I wouldn't cruise with them.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not being tried by you frown A previous accident is not prima facia proof of guilt.

At this point I would ask the membership to refrain from drawing over hasty conclusions. We just do not know at present.

Was it neligence? Perhaps.
Or equipment failure? Let me give you this possibility: The Solar Maxima has thrown the GPS positioning signal. Actual position was 100m to starboard of position shown on bridge. That is somewhat less than the length of the ship.

We do not know. Yet.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.