Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#239822 - 01/21/12 06:29 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Brangdon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
There's an article about the tradition on The Guardian.

While we're talking about maritime traditions, some say the Costa Concordia was doomed from the start of her service. When the ship was launched, the ceremonial bottle of champagne swung over on a rope to smash into the bow of the ship simply bounced off the hull instead. A very bad omen to seafarers. shocked

#239824 - 01/21/12 06:32 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: GarlyDog]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
The captain, from what I have read so far, has done at least one thing right. He hasn't tried to shift the blame to his crew.

Patience, my friend, patience. I expect that option will be explored by his lawyers at some point...!

#239832 - 01/21/12 09:12 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Accident happened at 9:40pm. Abandon ship given at 10:50. At 2:30am, there were 300 people left. So around 4 hours. It sounds like a long time to me."

It's important to make sure that the wine bottle is emptied.
Especially in the company of an attractive lady.
You don't want to waste a fine red wine.
That would be so un-Italian.

HAHAHAHAHA !!!

Pete2

#239839 - 01/21/12 10:44 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Pete]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
There is a new article "Costa Concordia: the inside story of the night of Friday, January 13" which has some interesting information.

While I have yet to see a complete, concise timeline, it would appear that things went bad very fast. The initial damage seems to have occured at about 9:40 pm. According to the Telegraph article above, people felt a strong impact, and the lights went out quickly.

The Third Officer was in his cabin, and when he opened his door there was already water in the passageway. He went immediately to the engine room, which was already beginning to flood. “Within 15 minutes, the engine room told the bridge that there was nothing to be done,” he said. “The situation was beyond repair.” By 9:45 pm the ship had a 7 degree list.

Assuming this is a reasonably accurate timeline, the delays by the captain in calling for assistance, telling people all was well, and giving the abandon ship order is unfathomable.

One also wonders why the ships watertight bulkheads didn't seem to slow the flooding, or control it entirely. The hull damage visible in the phots that have been published, while severe, does not seem to have gone the length of the ship. I would speculate that either there is more hull damage than has been visible, or some or all of the bulkhead hatches were never closed.

#239841 - 01/21/12 11:22 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Assuming this is a reasonably accurate timeline, the delays by the captain in calling for assistance, telling people all was well, and giving the abandon ship order is unfathomable."

Indeed ... it is complete incompetence.
It reflects deep denial about what was going on.
Surely if there was major water intrusion in the engine room and the lower decks - the correct thing to do was to tell passengers to put on life jackets and to go to emergency stations immediately. And the crew should have prepared the lifeboats immediately.

Numerous accounts showing that passengers were first told that there was no serious problem - show unforgiveable actions by the captain and crew.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (01/21/12 11:25 PM)

#239882 - 01/22/12 09:33 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Interesting article about the paralyzing effects of panic as a possible explanation for the the captain's behavior.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...tain-panic.html

#239884 - 01/22/12 10:32 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: GarlyDog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the refeence, but i can't say I was impressed - typical pop psychology blather....

#239892 - 01/22/12 05:22 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Here are some possible explanations for the captain's behavior:

1. Incompetence - Bad decision from information available
2. Negligence - Hoped everything was OK rather than acting on information
3. Bad information from crew
4. Paralyzed by fear
5. Flawed character for leadership (see above)
6. Judgement clouded by alcohol
7. Distracted by a pretty woman
8. Arrogance - Thought he had situation under control
9. He didn't do anything wrong. We are misinterpreting available information/speculation/etc
10. Costa management/ownership was aware of this behavior (show boating with close runs to islands) from other captains and allowed it to continue.

Any others? Any votes?

My speculation is combination of the above except 3 & 9.

#240241 - 01/29/12 06:09 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Russ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Russ
There was plenty of time to completely abandon ship except that the Captain delayed in order to move the ship away from where he was way off course and too close to the reef. This was a lame attempt to cover his A** and will only make the case against him in court that much more damning.
Really? Do you think he forgot his ship had a black box?

On gcaptain.com is a video showing the final movements of the Costa Concordia, together with a commentary by a different captain (Konrad).

Briefly: the engine room was flooded quickly after the first impact and they lost power to the main propeller, so the captain is controlling the ship with rudder only. He aims for the port but can't make it. He turns the ship sideways with the rudder which slows it more quickly until it is virtually stopped. Then he is able to use the bow thrusters (on emergency power - and they only work at low speed) to turn it right around. At that point the commentary speculates that the ship was taken by wind and current until it ran aground.

It seems to me that without power, there wasn't a lot of opportunity to do anything, never mind attempt to cover his A**. I gather also it is not easy to launch lifeboats from a ship under way, so it makes sense to delay abandon ship until it was stopped. I gather also that the final running aground at an angle, and subsequent listing, was a bad thing, but if the current or wind took it and he had no power, he might not have had much choice about that. It seems to me that being aground at least meant the ship didn't sink below the surface, so they had as long as they needed to evacuate.

#240243 - 01/29/12 06:38 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I gather also it is not easy to launch lifeboats from a ship under way, so it makes sense to delay abandon ship until it was stopped.

Even if you can't launch lifeboats until the ship slows down, you don't tell the passengers that "it's just a problem with the generator and to remain calm." You get them into PFD's & to lifeboat stations PDQ.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.