Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#239664 - 01/18/12 11:00 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
Arney got it. The Captain being the last one off when abandoning ship has long been tradition, but it is apparently codified in Italian maritime law. Former Captain Schettino has already been hammered in Italy's public opinion and will soon see it carried out in court.

I'm guessing that he'll also face counts of manslaughter equal to the number of passengers that perished.

#239667 - 01/19/12 12:08 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
This is an impressive picture of the wreck. Almost looks like a Photoshop job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16615145?ref=nf

#239675 - 01/19/12 02:18 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Schettino's lawyer, Bruno Leporatti, told a news conference in Grosetto that "house arrest made sense given there was no evidence the captain intended to flee."

LOL! Only a lawyer could say this with a straight face.

#239678 - 01/19/12 04:18 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: GameOver]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: GameOver
This is an impressive picture of the wreck. Almost looks like a Photoshop job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16615145?ref=nf

Looks like a scene from "Wall-E"!

#239681 - 01/19/12 05:01 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I seem to recall from somewhere that one reason the captain goes down with the ship is in case the ship doesn't actually go down - with no one on board the ship and its cargo would be fair game for salvage.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#239682 - 01/19/12 05:48 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: thseng]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: thseng
I seem to recall from somewhere that one reason the captain goes down with the ship is in case the ship doesn't actually go down - with no one on board the ship and its cargo would be fair game for salvage.

I have heard that, too, although I briefly heard something about the Concordia situation being different in terms of salvage rights. Perhaps something about the rules being different with an Italian-flagged vessel in Italian waters.

Actually, would the whole ship be considered a crime scene or evidence now?

#239692 - 01/19/12 01:27 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

#239713 - 01/19/12 10:54 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I still haven't been able to find any information about how long it took for all the passengers to get off the ship. Has anyone found that information in their reading?

#239714 - 01/19/12 11:12 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: GarlyDog]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There was an article out fairly early about the entertainers on the Costa Concordia. That article was where I read for the first time about the Captain exiting early and the crew (including the entertainers) assisting the passengers. The dancer interviewed was one of the last off at ~0300 IIRC. It was a DailyMail article -- 'Forget women and children first, it was every man for himself' -- lots of good tidbits in that article.
Quote:
...Eight British dancers were on-board the boat and were among the last to leave the sinking vessel, with many staying behind to help others to safety.
Among them was Rose Metcalf, who let her family know about the dramatic events in a message she left on her father's mobile phone at 3am. She said: 'Hi, Dad. Just ringing to let you know that I am alive and safe and got airlifted out of the cruise ship. ...
...his daughter was told by superiors to put on her cocktail dress and tell passengers the problem was only an electrical fault.
He told BBC Breakfast: 'Luckily she ignored them, because being one of the last five people off the boat she would have been stranded there with a dress on and without a life-saving vest. ...She said: 'I dashed off to my cabin where I had dry clothes and put them on with a life-jacket. ...
...the dancer revealed that the captain had abandoned the ship in the early stages of the evacuation, leaving his staff onboard. ... 'Since the captain had left there was nobody, so everybody was left to their own devices hence some of the chaos...
all quotes from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...are-scenes.html
So if they started abandoning at 1030 or thereabouts, looks like it took 4-5 hours. But as we know some of the peeps were still aboard shocked and it was dark wink

#239715 - 01/19/12 11:28 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Russ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
There was an article out fairly early about the entertainers on the Costa Concordia. That article was where I read for the first time about the Captain exiting early and the crew (including the entertainers) assisting the passengers. The dancer interviewed was one of the last off at ~0300 IIRC.

This morning I read an article about the deputy mayor of Giglio, the island near which the ship ran aground. The mayor sent him to coordinate the rescue onboard. He got to the ship around 11, and stayed until 3 in the morning to help evacuate the ship. It seems that he and the entertainers left around the same time, so this agreement suggests that was the time when almost everyone was rescued. The deputy mayor was very unimpressed, to say the least, that the captain didn't get on board, because he got on board.

The captain's young blonde female companion (for those following the news) said that he stayed until 11:30 -- that is, until he accidentally fell off the ship and directly into a boat. If she is his girlfriend, I guess she'll have to start thinking about what she'll do during his 12-year prison term.

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.