Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#240244 - 01/29/12 06:55 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Thank God for the wind. Had the captain been able to get to deeper water, it seems likely it would have capsized, killing a lot more people. Here I thought it was some purposeful strategy to run aground and really it was divine intervention or if you want, luck.

#240245 - 01/29/12 07:11 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Maybe it was, just wasn't by the captain? Seems strange given he ran away at first opportunity that he would had the mind to facilitate such an plan.

#240248 - 01/29/12 08:51 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Brangdon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
It seems to me that being aground at least meant the ship didn't sink below the surface, so they had as long as they needed to evacuate.

Indeed, it seems fortuitous that the Concordia hit bottom where it did because it could have easily sunk completely or capsized.

I saw a computer graphic on the evening news showing the rather steep sea shelf that the Concordia is resting on now. Waves and the current could easily knock it loose, causing it to slide down this shelf into much deeper water, not to mention roll over repeatedly on its way down. That would likely be lethal to any rescue/recovery personnel onboard.

Edited by Arney (01/30/12 12:46 AM)

#240250 - 01/29/12 10:02 PM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
No doubt the divers involved in this effort are brave individuals. I have done some wreck diving on small vessels and it was unsettling to me in near ideal conditions. This work seems terrifying to me. Thankfully, there are people willing to risk it all, just in case there are survivors hold up somewhere on this death trap.

#240262 - 01/30/12 05:03 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In another thread we are talking about cave rescue - tight spaces, darkness, a network of confusing passages. Now add water, the necessity to carry your own air supply (bulky, awkward, and finite), lots of opportunity for entanglement, and you have the situation on this ship.

Diving in restricted overhead situations, wrecks and caves, is far more hazardous than open water scuba, even with trained people.

#240671 - 02/07/12 08:12 AM Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster [Re: Dagny]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
A family from Girdwood, Alaska was on the Costa Concordia and has told their story in a local publication. (Girdwood is a small town about 35 miles south of Anchorage, and is the site of the Alyeska Ski Resort.) After boarding, they had gone to their cabin and slept through the initial collision with the rocks. Later, awakened by a ship's alarm, they were told it was just "a power outage". However, when the ship started listing, they made a very sensible choice:

“I just said, ‘let’s just go up on deck and be safe, and we’ll watch the stars. It’s probably nothing, but I don’t feel comfortable staying in the room down in this maze of hallways.’ And we really weren’t familiar with the boat yet, having been on there for only a few hours. We basically got on dead tired, had dinner and went to bed. And we did not know the way out.”

I think the take away message is, if things don't feel right, they probably aren't right. Then it's definatly time to at least start thinking about "what if". Note that they also had the good sense to grab a headlamp from their stuff, and have the kids get fully dressed.

Edited by AKSAR (02/07/12 08:15 AM)
Edit Reason: minor typo

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.