Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239473 - 01/16/12 08:48 PM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Pete Offline
Veteran

You guys are actually sighting through the center of the slingshot frame ... a lot like archers do with a bow and arrow? I'm guessing then that you use a good pair of impact goggles on your face while shooting. Otherwise there is risk to your eyes if one of the bands breaks.

The Carolina slingshot guy doesn't even sight this way ... he is somehow able to judge his shots - while not looking thru the slingshot itself. I guess this is just due to a tremendous amount of experience :-)

Pete2

#239484 - 01/16/12 10:06 PM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Shooting accurately does take some practice, but it is not as difficult as some here are saying. Step number one: It you are not shooting accurately, it is your technique 99% of the time. This is one sport where high end equipment does not make you better.

Come over to http://slingshotforum.com and visit and learn from many excellent shooters there.

#239492 - 01/16/12 11:51 PM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: haertig]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Thanks. Sounds like i will have to make the visit. :-)

Pete2

#239500 - 01/17/12 03:29 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Mark_R]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

[/quote]

My only caveat is it takes a fair amount of strength to hold onto the pouch without a "bulge" to slip your fingers around. [/quote]

Very true, but it iooks like these guys found a solution to that problem. They rigged up a loop to hook a standard release onto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cHMYRJzzI

#239501 - 01/17/12 03:43 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I have harvested rabbits and squirrels with my hunting slingshot (I have small backpack model, a mid-sized folder, and a big extended-fork hunting model)

Pardon my doubting ways. There is no better evidence than meat in the pot.

I assume you are using steel shot and not pebbles out of the local streambed?

#239514 - 01/17/12 06:06 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
While slingshots are a relatively modern invention, slings are not. They've been used as weapons, quite effectively, all over the world for thousands of years. Even King Tut had slings buried with him in his tomb.

Now I won't argue that slingshots aren't great, as they are. However, they're not something that can be easily made with items typically found in nature. That means, you have to plan to have one on you when you need it and hope it doesn't fail on you. Personally, if I'm going to the trouble of carrying a weapon with me, I'm going to carry something that packs a bit more punch anyway (like a rifle, handgun, modern bow, ect).

Now a true sling (shepherd's sling) is something that could definitely be made with items found in nature and aren't horribly complicated. Besides the sling, you've got other primitive weapons like the throwing stick, atlatl/dart, or simple bow/arrow.

With that in mind, if you've never used a sling (or atlatl), try making one and giving it a whirl (though, do be careful). It's a fun way to learn a great lost skill that heavily contributed to the survival of our ancestors. As an added benefit, you never know when it might come in handy for your survival.

#239518 - 01/17/12 11:33 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I have harvested rabbits and squirrels with my hunting slingshot (I have small backpack model, a mid-sized folder, and a big extended-fork hunting model)

Pardon my doubting ways. There is no better evidence than meat in the pot.

I assume you are using steel shot and not pebbles out of the local streambed?

I do carry about 12 - 6mm steel balls with me, weighing in at about 1 1/2 ounce. One of the gifts of the glaciers here in MN is the deep and common deposits of smooth gravel. Appropriately sized round-ish pebbles can be surprisingly accurate due to the 'golf ball effect'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that anyone depend on a slingshot as their primary survival tool. I am a big fan of the .22 and if I'm not carrying a shotgun, that's what I usually have with me. That said, there are places and times, such as big state parks and public hiking trails, where any firearm would be problematic, so I have my slingshot.

The little one weighs only 4 oz, and the balls weigh 1 oz for 8. If a person is gram-conscious, they could just carry a replacement power band and a couple of rubber bands to make a slingshot from a tree branch with the knife and saw on their Wave.

Some past postings here recount an incident where coyotes got bold along a public hiking trail, and killed a female hiker. If she had been able to deploy a slingshot with a marble-sized pebble at 10 yards, that coyote would have run howling into the woods.

All this rationalization aside, my wife has diagnosed that I never really grew up all the way. My latest quarry was ice formations along a partially frozen creek in the backwoods last weekend.

#239539 - 01/17/12 06:53 PM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I love my slingshot. I don't practice often but I do use manufactured slingshot pellets when I do. I also carry it occassionally/fairly often when I hike.

#239852 - 01/22/12 02:00 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

After reading the responses, I now think I should have named the post " Slingshot....a low-tech survival skill? They really aren't primitive at all.

#239864 - 01/22/12 03:41 AM Re: Slingshot...a primitive survival skill? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Apparently the ethnic Kachin rebels in Myanmar carry slingshots in addition to their AKs:

Quote:
Soldiers carry old automatic rifles, and some have slingshots tucked in their belts.

From: www.hydroworld.com/index/display/news_display.1586689741.html

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.