Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#215537 - 01/23/11 07:25 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The thing that prompted me to post this question is an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" I saw recently, in which a solo peakbagger gets badly injured in an avalanche and spends about 3 days crawling/limping his way out. After at least 2 days of no sleep, exhaustion and blood loss, he struggles to stay awake thinking he will die if he succumbs to sleep. He falls asleep anyway and wakes up the next morning under a pile of fresh snow, feeling surprisingly refreshed.

The guy was super fit, which is always a great asset, but still he was wearing minimal clothing in subfreezing weather while tired & injured.

#215539 - 01/23/11 07:54 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
. He falls asleep anyway and wakes up the next morning under a pile of fresh snow, feeling surprisingly refreshed.

My experience precisely...You need your forty winks.

#215586 - 01/24/11 09:59 AM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Arney]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Originally Posted By: comms
the only real life example I can recall is Beck Weathers when he fell asleep on Mt. Everett during the 1996 tragedy. I suppose if you don't know the story you could google his name or better yet read the book "Into Thin Air" then his autobio

Slight thread hijack, I just recently watched Frontline's Storm Over Everest and found it excellently done. It includes interviews with the survivors and pictures from that day, and tells the story well.

If I remember correctly, Beck Weathers was left for dead and fell asleep. He woke up some time later with no pain, noting that his arm and other extremities were frozen. It was very peaceful, but then he thought of his family and forced himself to get up and walk until, amazingly, he found the camp. (Incidently he was then left for dead a second time.)

I've heard that people who get frostbite more easily are less likely to die of hypothermia because the body is quicker to cut off bloodflow to the extremities in order to preserve core temperature. But that's just something I read from who knows where...

Back on topic, my experience has been that I'll wake up if I get too cold. I once spent the night in an unheated cabin with temperatures dropping to 37 degrees, and I only had regular bedding, i.e. mattress, blanket, pillow. I figured out a multitude of tricks to keep warm that night. It seemed my shivering would wake me up each time I became too cold, I'd shift position and my shivering would warm up my cocoon sufficiently until I could sleep again, and then that cycle was repeated over and over again. Not fun, but not particularly dangerous either.

I'd be more concerned if I was cold enough that I went beyond and stopped shivering. Hopefully I'd have enough presence of mind to get up and move instead of sleeping.

Originally Posted By: Arney
I once saw a show on Discovery Channel that described the final stage of hypothermia, which includes extreme sleepiness, before the person drifts off and dies. Maybe that's the scenario that people are trying to put off?

That's what I've always thought.

#215597 - 01/24/11 11:41 AM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The thing that prompted me to post this question is an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" I saw recently, in which a solo peakbagger gets badly injured in an avalanche and spends about 3 days crawling/limping his way out. After at least 2 days of no sleep, exhaustion and blood loss, he struggles to stay awake thinking he will die if he succumbs to sleep. He falls asleep anyway and wakes up the next morning under a pile of fresh snow, feeling surprisingly refreshed.

The guy was super fit, which is always a great asset, but still he was wearing minimal clothing in subfreezing weather while tired & injured.

We watched that too Glock. I was of the same mind - if he falls asleep, he's dead. It would have been like giving up. Not so much because of the cold, but because of his injuries. The snow no doubt insulated him but his will to live was probably the biggest factor in keeping him alive. That and he obviously needed his rest. It's a fine balance, I guess. I can't fathom how he possibly did what he did. I'm shocked that he made it. (Our family had a bit of a giggle about this forum, and a particular thread, when he crossed the streams.)

At the end, he said he went right back to the mountains again. I wonder if he keeps a psk in his pocket now, or wears better clothing when he's out there? I kept thinking, if only he had a lighter or a SAK or a....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215612 - 01/24/11 04:45 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: bacpacjac]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I wonder if he keeps a psk in his pocket now, or wears better clothing when he's out there? I kept thinking, if only he had a lighter or a SAK or a....

Great point, that show was another lesson on "if you don't have it with you it can't save your life". He lost his pack and was fubared.

#237445 - 12/16/11 03:21 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Recently I saw this issue come up yet again when reading a survivor's account of dealing with cold weather. So I took a chance and emailed the renowned Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht, asking him about his thoughts on "dying in your sleep from cold". I even sent him the link to this thread and asked if he would consider posting here. I can't think of a better expert to consult on this topic.

I highly recommend the 2nd edition of Hypothermia, Frostbite, and Other Cold Injuries which was revised by Dr. Giesbrecht.

Check out Dr. Giesbrecht's Cold Water Boot Camp, especially their videos.

#237450 - 12/16/11 05:43 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
If you are cold enough that you will die from hypothermia, how will staying awake, if you could do so, prevent death?

I vote for mostly a myth.

Bob

#237456 - 12/16/11 06:29 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: ILBob]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ILBob
If you are cold enough that you will die from hypothermia, how will staying awake, if you could do so, prevent death?

This mindset assumes that we don't have any control over our bodies.

How many stories have we heard, and I have seen examples of it myself, of people who are very old or terminally sick and who hold on just long enough to reach some major event (a wedding, a graduation, a birth, until the other spouse passes first, etc.) and then they quickly die afterward? Or conversely, how many spouses pass away shortly after the first spouse goes? Something in them just gives up. Or yogis or martial art masters and others who can control aspects of their bodily functions that we normally think are beyond our control.

Modern science is just beginning to understand the mind-body connection in a more systematic way.

#237457 - 12/16/11 06:35 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I agree that if you're not hypothermic to begin with, sleep isn't all that dangerous and probably more beneficial than anything.

Unfortunately, the more dangerous stages of hypothermia affect your cognitive ability and make you confused, so it's difficult to realize that you're hypothermic so it can be difficult to know whether it's OK to sleep or not. In fact, you apparently often feel hot during the final stage. Perfect for nap time.

#237460 - 12/16/11 07:43 PM Re: "falling asleep in cold weather = death"? really? [Re: NightHiker]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'll venture that if you're capable of thinking through whether or not it's safe to get some rest then generally speaking you're not that far down the well.

I agree with this. If we take it as gospel that "if you're cold you can't trust your mind at all because you may be hypothermic and not thinking clearly", then you should never sleep at all in winter, since you may be hallucinating that you're in a warm, dry cabin by the fire...!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.