Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#219303 - 03/15/11 08:35 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Coffee drinking barbarians! A nice cup of tea will sooth the soul and calm the mind.

Actually, it probably helps to simply cup the hands around a warm container. I'll bet warm water would work just as well as either tea or coffee in double blind tests. Well, maybe the caffeine does help.....

I sometimes have a cup of green tea before bed; on a cold or stressful day, coffee is the best thing to have. It's decaffeinated, of course, due to my anxiety.

Jeanette Isabelle

#220382 - 03/28/11 03:02 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
If anyone's looking for an easy way to keep some instant coffee on hand, you could try Starbucks' Via travel mug. It stores 6 packs of their Via instant coffee in the base of the mug; its actually a pretty slick system.

I got one for Christmas and I have been using it for camping since it's an easy way to keep coffee on hand for when you're ready for that second or third cup.

#220395 - 03/28/11 05:40 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis

Starbucks' Via travel mug... stores 6 packs of their Via instant coffee in the base of the mug; its actually a pretty slick system.

It looks pretty convenient, and the coffee is yummy. I'd use it for a corporate event but I'm leary about taking it outdoors. I wonder about durability and breakability. how's it holding up?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220397 - 03/28/11 05:57 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan

I'm more inclined toward useful and comfort than I am elegance...

Me too Sue! At a recent Scout leader camp, one of the other gearhead Scouters pulled out his fancy new, high tech mess kit. Someone commented on it so he pointed out all the newer, more expensive betterness about it. As he did, I pulled out the old pie plate I've been using for chow for 30 years. He laughed and suggested that trade up and move into the new millenium. I just smiled and said "mine's cheaper, the high sides make it multi-functional AND chef gave me twice as much chow because my plate is bigger than yours." wink

#220401 - 03/28/11 06:42 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
> I just smiled and said "mine's cheaper, the high sides to make it multi-functional AND chef gave me twice as much chow because my plate is bigger than yours."

That raised a grin! grin grin grin

Sue

#220402 - 03/28/11 07:15 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

#220403 - 03/28/11 07:23 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

> That raised a grin! smile smile smile <

Sue, a girl has to take advantage of every chance she gets to tell a guy "Mine's bigger than yours!" wink

#220405 - 03/28/11 08:03 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I'd use it for a corporate event but I'm leary about taking it outdoors. I wonder about durability and breakability. how's it holding up?

I've only had it out a couple times so far but I haven't had any durability issues with it. It really only gets used when hanging around the campsite while having breakfast; so far something which doesn't appear to be too taxing on it.

Of course, now that this has been said, it will surely be destroyed on my next trip smile.

#220407 - 03/28/11 08:21 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Knock on wood!!!

I LOVE my Starbucks travel mugs. I've got a few of an older series that never leak and seem indestructable. These ones just don't seem as tough. I am a klutz with klutz-prone kids so I have to consider these things. wink

#220409 - 03/28/11 08:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I LOVE my Starbucks travel mugs. I've got a few of an older series that never leak and seem indestructable. These ones just don't seem as tough.

I have a couple of the stainless steel Starbucks mugs and this Via one is definitely not as solid. I'd guess it's only the plastic outer body that holds the Via packets that is at risk of breaking though; the inner sleeve is still stainless steel.

Also, it doesn't hold quite as much coffee as the other Starbucks mugs I have nor does it keep the coffee warm for as long (I just noticed the site I linked to says its not insulated, which makes sense).

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.