The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#239364 - 01/15/12 11:35 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Russ said it. Here's another option. If you ever go to a restaruant equipment auction, salvage yard, etc, you can pick up the stainless steel 12 cup coffee filter holders for cheap. Same thing coffee shops and restaruants use to make their drip coffee. Anyway, they make great manual coffee makers and are nearly indestructable. Came up with the idea after I broke my Melitta manual coffee maker and didn't want to use plastic. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.bunncoffeemakerparts.com/bunn-parts-funnel-assy-sst-blk-hdl-7-62-20217-0000.html

#239421 - 01/16/12 09:49 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
One variable apparently is the height of the pot above the stove flame - too close and the flame is cooled, creating CO. A blue flame is good, a yellow flame (usually incomplete combustion) is not so good.

Spot on. I have a research report (in Norwegian) where CO production for different kind of stoves were tested with and without pots for snow melting. CO production when melting snow was sky high, but with HUGE variations from stove to stove. CO production without a pot was consistently much lower.

The consensus at a outdoors enthusiast I visit is that the distance from the flames to the cold pot is the most crucial factor in CO production. It makes sense, but I have to re-read the report to see if it actually says so, or if that's the conclusion people have drawn.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (haertig), 299 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
albusgrammaticus, johnmarl, AshikurAB, tomar15, Bbbriggs
5207 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Do You Have a Firstaid Kit to Spare?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 12:28 AM
Knifeworks - Web Problems or Out of Business?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 12:23 AM
Help for novel research.Bugging out from Manhattan
by Eugene
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Hiking safely with dogs in wolf country
by haertig
Yesterday at 08:55 PM
Get Out of Dodge, Don't Forget Your Passport
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 08:13 PM
Microchipping Workers
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:26 PM
What NOT to do in a disaster
by Montanero
Yesterday at 02:17 PM
Landlines still useful?
by LesSnyder
Yesterday at 12:30 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.