Topic Options
#239289 - 01/14/12 04:48 AM Re: We miss you ! [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
I seem to recall the Canadian that you are referring to went by the name "Taurus". I've wondered about him too.

LW

Last time I talked with him he had just rotated back to the sandbox. He had been a regular commentor on my blog then...nothing. frown
-Blast

Probably running silent and deep ... for very excellent reasons.

Hopefully if he's silent and deep he IS running, and not, well, you know, stationary frown

Good memory on the name.

#239340 - 01/14/12 09:50 PM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Chisel]
Frisket Offline
Addict

A quick look at the user lists states Art in FL logged in only a few days ago yet this last post was months ago apparently.

#241939 - 02/27/12 04:45 PM Re: We miss you ! [Re: TimDex]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Susan has been missing also. Enjoyed her posts.

+1

#241941 - 02/27/12 05:30 PM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Chisel]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the guy who does the Zippy comic has one on now about how the web and it's gizmos,tweets and such,has resulted in a big loss of "face time".i do see here and other sites more concern over missing friends,as in posters who you have never had any face time with,than many people have in "real life"..

#241982 - 02/28/12 06:51 AM Re: We miss you ! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I agree. Please notice that "e-people" are ones we have chosen to spend time with because of similar interests ..etc. In my area, there are NO preppers, backpackers or any of the types I like to spend a few minutes with.

In my area, there are folks who would spend endless times about latest i-something ( as in iPad, iPhone .. etc.) in which I have very little interest. So, the rest is to be expected. Search for like-minded people on-line. And therefore, it is to be expected that we miss these more than "real-life" folks who happen to be geographically so near, yet mentally so far from us.

#242132 - 03/01/12 01:32 AM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Chisel,The Bedouins or relatives of them,are the people in your area that have these interests,or even lifestyle!The problem is they probably don't have too many computers available,therefore communication with them is probably nill,unless you make contact with them,while you are out camping or 4-wheeling the dunes.It couldn't hurt to open up a little,while you are out & about,possibly try talking with the people with the 4-wheelers/Rock-crawlers/Dune buggies,etc.

#242133 - 03/01/12 01:40 AM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Frisket]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Art_in_FL was just logged in here about an hour ago,for about a 1/2 hr or so!I've seen his handle quite a few times lately.I'm thinking he's on a Sabbatical or layed up with health issues or maybe one of his relatives got access to his stuff?

#242174 - 03/01/12 04:33 PM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Richlacal]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Well, it is not like that

First , I am not a "bedouin" myself (my ancestors are farmers and villagers). We mix with decendants of desert folks but have a different culture. For example, they love to camp in the desert , we love to camp in green areas or beach areas.

The bedouins have seen lifestyle transforamtion that lost most of their identity IMHO. I doubt that the "bedouin" company president who drives a 4x4 Lexus or Escalade can tell the difference between edible and non-edible plant in the desert. Incidents of death or being lost in the desert are proof that many of them today are only "bedouin" by ancestry, not by practice.

In addition, I have only a little interest in desert survival, just in case a car breakdown while travelling on the highway. That scenario won't make me eat lizards or drink camel urine. LOL. A few gallons of water and a blanket is almost all I need.

Also, while camping and backpacking are very good supporting hobbies to the prepper community in your area of the world, backpacking is almost unheard of around me (well, almost unheard of), and camping here means you take with you the satellite dish and the kitchen sink. So, campers hardly have anything to offer to the prepper community.

Although I live in a city by necessity (work, family) but I love simpler village-like life, I will be buying a few books like (Back to Basics) and other such books which seem to have great reviews. These books and a bit of practice ought to provide me the right set of skills I need.

I am already doing what Cody Lundin is doing to his legs , but on the hotter side. Have been sleeping in non-air conditioned room of my house and been loving it.

#242187 - 03/01/12 06:52 PM Re: We miss you ! [Re: Blast]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Wow guys....Really didn't think anyone paid that much attention to my lunacy to remember me.

I stopped posting but have always remained an avid reader on this forum. always. Had to really dig to even remember my old login. I have been lurking in the background enjoying the place silently. I have felt the sadness of OBG's passing, laughed at Susan's sarcasm and found myself saying "holy S*** Blast is a mod on here now" the same as most of you.

Not sure why I stopped posting. A combo of work keeping me away from home constantly and a feeling that it's sometimes better to listen than speak so to say. I have meant to post from time to time but figured the forum was moving along fine without my 2 cents. Really just figured I had nothing inportant to add.

Just so you know Blast, I still read your blog here and there when I can. My wife and I actually talked about retiring in Texas someday. (tired of @#$!*&# snow) If so I will be the first in line to take the wild edibles training if you still teach it. Believe it or not I have been back to the sandbox yet again since last we spoke and just returned home in December. (Task force 1-11) I am really getting to old for this.

It was a really odd feeling to read this thread today. With as many people who have come and gone I didn't expect anyone to wonder about what happened to this cat.

This forum truly is a different place. You guys are an awesome crew.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.