Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#239029 - 01/10/12 05:23 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: GarlyDog]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I agree with most folks that this approach is probably going to be impractical.

However, there is one thing that they could do. They could give some sort of rating to neighborhoods based on police report statistics. For example, you could get a number from the GPS that reflects the data on number of homicides per year, or number of auto burglaries per year. It doesn't have to be the actual crime number - just some sort of rating that is proportional to the crime rate in that area.

Pete2

#239032 - 01/10/12 07:21 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pete
However, there is one thing that they could do. They could give some sort of rating to neighborhoods based on police report statistics. For example, you could get a number from the GPS that reflects the data on number of homicides per year, or number of auto burglaries per year.

I want the GPS that gives me the stats for speeding tickets, parking tickets, etc. That one will sell like there is no tomorrow.

#239039 - 01/10/12 01:13 PM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: Pete]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Pete
I agree with most folks that this approach is probably going to be impractical.

However, there is one thing that they could do. They could give some sort of rating to neighborhoods based on police report statistics. For example, you could get a number from the GPS that reflects the data on number of homicides per year, or number of auto burglaries per year. It doesn't have to be the actual crime number - just some sort of rating that is proportional to the crime rate in that area.

Pete2

This is already being done and is easily available as a commercial product that could be incorporated into GPS coordinates....
http://www.tetrad.com/pub/documents/capindexbackground.pdf

#239238 - 01/13/12 08:09 PM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
An improvement (at least in my mind) and something that residents & merchants couldn't complain about, would be to let the user set their own parameters that define "dangerous"

That's a great idea that I was also thinking about when I first read about this story. I'm not aware of anyone who has created a service or app like this, but something that leverages the power of crowdsourcing could create a lot of useful info/advice. Not just about "dangerous" neighborhoods but even to avoid routes/areas with a lot of traffic congestion, bad potholes, etc. The concept could certainly be expanded to include more positive things, like finding bike-friendly routes through a city or finding streets that are good for hanging out in during the evenings, etc.

Kind of like taking the Yelp concept to something more visual, on a map. Say, the particular topic is "Streets with potholes," users could click on particular city blocks or stretches of road that are heavily rutted on a map to indicate places to avoid. When calculating a GPS route somewhere, it can take that user-input info into consideration.

Of course, depending too much on user-input has its pitfalls, too. Such as a map that keeps showing a pothole-filled street even though it has been repaired because no one bothers to update the status of that spot.

#239243 - 01/13/12 08:21 PM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: GarlyDog]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Block by block crime heat maps. I compared the one of my city to what I know from experience. It's not dead nuts on, but it's very close.

http://www.trulia.com/crime/#

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#239257 - 01/14/12 12:20 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I treat everywhere I travel as a "bad neighborhood". That way I'm always in condition yellow and I'm aware of my surroundings. Basing your safety on what has, or more importantly "hasn't" happened there in the past is a poor plan.

#239267 - 01/14/12 02:46 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Well said haertig.

#239272 - 01/14/12 03:20 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: Mark_R]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Block by block crime heat maps. I compared the one of my city to what I know from experience. It's not dead nuts on, but it's very close.

http://www.trulia.com/crime/#

Cool, Houston is crime-free! grin
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#239292 - 01/14/12 05:04 AM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That thing is WAyyyyy off,Houston isn't even listed!I looked at the Los Angeles dot,& of places I know presently that are a No-Go at anytime of day(due to my hue)& those places aren't even colored in!Also,New York City isn't listed,You know something is Verrry wrong here,lol!

#239805 - 01/21/12 02:56 PM Re: Microsoft to identify 'bad neighborhoods' for gps [Re: GarlyDog]
ablesolutions Offline
Stranger

Loc: New Jersey
This smacks of corporate control i.e.; they get to define "bad".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.