The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238964 - 01/09/12 05:22 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Chisel]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
While I have no way of knowing why or if Cody might prefer a messenger bag/haversack over a backpack, there are perhaps some advantages for his style of survival.

For example a messenger bag/haversack and be adjusted quickly to ride more on the back, side or front depending upon how you want to distribute the weight. It can be accessed without having to remove it from your back. If one is foraging, you can pull the bag to the front and place or remove what you want inside quickly. It can be moved from one shoulder to the other easily. It can be carried in a tumpline fashion.

The versatile nature of how a messenger bag/haversack can be carried makes me think that it would make a good choice for a minimalist survival style such as Cody’s.

Pete

#239012 - 01/10/12 02:33 AM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have more experience with carrying a laptop in a messenger style bag than a wilderness messenger bag but I know after switching to a backpack I'll never go back. No matter how I adjusted the shoulder strap a single strap bag just won't stay in place as well can't carry a load as comfortably as a two strap pack.

#239013 - 01/10/12 02:47 AM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Chisel]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'd have more questions if Cody did carry a backpack. Everything by the book and then (Bam!) no shoes, it just wouldn't make sense.

#239035 - 01/10/12 09:48 AM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: paramedicpete]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Carrying a shoulder slung camera bag for a few hours I will never go for that style. The uneven pain it caused was just amazing for such a light load.

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
While I have no way of knowing why or if Cody might prefer a messenger bag/haversack over a backpack, there are perhaps some advantages for his style of survival.

For example a messenger bag/haversack and be adjusted quickly to ride more on the back, side or front depending upon how you want to distribute the weight. It can be accessed without having to remove it from your back. If one is foraging, you can pull the bag to the front and place or remove what you want inside quickly. It can be moved from one shoulder to the other easily. It can be carried in a tumpline fashion.

The versatile nature of how a messenger bag/haversack can be carried makes me think that it would make a good choice for a minimalist survival style such as Cody’s.

Pete

I Cant honestly see one good point to messenger bags that gives them better use over a small backpack of the same rough size. Backpacks can be slung over one shoulder in front for easy access just like a messenger back and when foraging Im sure the messenger bag would more get in the way then anything when leaning down/forward. Ive Never had them "just stay put" when moving around like a backpack style pack does.

As For distributing weight where you want it, Ive never thought in my life when carrying something "Gee This uneven weight to my right would feel much better if it was uneven on my left". Even while Carrying it towards your back your now using one arm to hold it behind you locking it up from use and its still resting its weight on one shoulder.

Id much rather have a Small camelback backpack then a messenger bag. I very much believe the messenger bag style for him is all about "image" more so then anything. How Much of a barefoot nature loving person would he look like with a high end expensive sports water bladder pack on?

#239129 - 01/11/12 09:59 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: paramedicpete]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete

Pete

Too true. I like watching him and I place alot of value on his writing, but his way is not mine in certain respects.

#239143 - 01/12/12 03:15 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Finn]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is interesting is that both CL and BG have written very rational solid books dealing with survival while their TV personas are considerably more gonzo and over the top. Perhaps it is just another example of the way that contemporary TV distorts reality.

#239166 - 01/12/12 07:46 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Chisel]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I have used a "messenger" style bag while working in the field for years (almost always with a day pack as well). I am a geologist and it carries my field tools, sheet holder with maps and paper as well as my field book. Pete has enumerated the advantages well. Using a pack for such work is very much a hassle. It does not carry well in front if you are using it a lot. Carrying your "stuff" all on belt, slung separately, etc. is worse. It is also convinent to take it all off when you stop or are using a vehicle for transport from one area to another. I don't know anything about Cody or his use, but I find that there are some uses where that style of bag is superior.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#239173 - 01/12/12 09:56 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: hikermor]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Perhaps it is just another example of the way that contemporary TV distorts reality.

+1

Ain't that the truth. You said a mouthful there.

-- b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#239180 - 01/12/12 11:05 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: buckeye]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Messenger bags, by design, work best with light loads. I had one that I would use when I was going to listen to lectures. Had a notebook, umbrella, a few pens, and my small water-bottle. It weighed very little, it kept my back from getting sweaty, and I just found it to be less cumbersome to use than a backpack for the little I was carrying.

Otherwise, once things start getting remotely heavy, I go backpack all the way.

#239183 - 01/12/12 11:31 PM Re: Why doesn't Cody use a backpack ? [Re: Chisel]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Related issue, I carry a man bag (or "satchel") daily in an urban environment. I would not carry this same bag in a backpack setup - too inconvenient for how I use it.

I do see some people walking around with tiny backpacks, I guess the backpack equivalent to my man bag. This would not work for me. I keep my man bag on me while I'm sitting (including while driving), no removal necessary.

I also enjoy wearing my motorcycle helmet throughout the day because you never know. (kidding)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.