Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#220412 - 03/28/11 09:46 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few days ago I was fiddling around with the computer and a I notice that a fingernail was rough and had a hangnail, I reflexively grabbed a nail clipper and had the nail and hangnail sorted out in a few seconds. No scissors or knife will do the job as well. No great revelation but it reminded me that these little fingernail clippers, that go for about $2, are mighty handy. I don't carry one, I try to keep my key-chain compact, but have them scattered around everywhere. I have two on my desk, one in my truck change tray, one in each of my survival kits. I even have a couple still in their packaging in my cabinet. A remnant of a year ago when I lost my last two and in a fit bought a half-dozen in one go. I subsequently found at least one I lost.

Nothing better for flush-cutting hangnails that always fester, sting, and threaten to get infected in survival situations. Great for trimming rough spots on fingernails that threaten to rip into the quick. Works well cutting thread, fishing line and light line. When I was messing around with electronics I often used a pair to flush-cut wires after making repairs. I've used a pair as tweezers to pull out thorns and splinters.

The ones I like best are good quality, heavily chromed to resist rust, and made by "Trim". They sell at most department stores.

#220427 - 03/28/11 11:20 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Art - different strokes for different folks. Hangnails duties are detailed to the scissors on my SAK Classic, an integral EDC item on my keyring. My nail clippers are rusting away in my medicine cabinet.

#220433 - 03/28/11 11:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Art - different strokes for different folks. Hangnails duties are detailed to the scissors on my SAK Classic, an integral EDC item on my keyring. My nail clippers are rusting away in my medicine cabinet.

When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops, and I used scissors on hangnails. Problem I found is it is hard to get flush cut with scissors. Which means that the flag of skin is still out there to snag on stuff and getting dirt underneath it.

Try the nail clippers. I think you will find it is easier to flush-cut the skin flag. Once you do I suspect you will give up the scissors.

In a pinch I can still use scissors or even a very sharp blade and whittle down through the skin flag. I've also whittled finger nails but clippers are faster and easier.

#220448 - 03/29/11 12:48 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
One roughly cut or torn hangnail that gets infected is a quick endorsement for using nailclippers. Thanks for the reminder Art! I just added one to each of my kits. Cheap, small, light and invaluable!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220480 - 03/29/11 01:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
At one time, nail clippers where almost standard carry items for Drill Instructors. Not for our benefit but for snipping loose threads off soldiers before inspections.

#220507 - 03/29/11 05:52 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops,

I suppose a triceratops would work OK in Florida with your warmer climate. I started out riding pygmy mammoths as a youth and then switched to the full size Columbian mammoth when I got my unrestricted license. They were more dependable in cold weather, and I appreciate their greater cargo capacity, with their large trunk.....

See you later, alligator...

#220592 - 03/30/11 09:10 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
After a while, crocodile.

#220596 - 03/30/11 10:19 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Being young I was easily seduced by the acceleration and cornering of the triceratops, but you're right they are impractical; they don't start worth a damn in cold weather and, even back then, it was nearly impossible to get parts. They haven't made part for them in ages.

#220605 - 03/31/11 02:13 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

The parts are out there but you really have to dig for them. Over time, operations have been scaled back; it is basically a skeleton crew operation.

#220763 - 04/02/11 02:48 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Art_in_FL]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
When I was young, I used to ride a triceratops, and I used scissors on hangnails. Problem I found is it is hard to get flush cut with scissors.
It depends on the scissors. I found the moderate-sized ones on my LM Juice are too large. My Vic Rambler SAK has a smaller pair which work very well for nails and hangnails.

(The Rambler is roughly the same size and weight as nail clippers, but the scissors are more versatile, and it also has a small knife, flat and Philips screwdrivers, bottle opener, tweezers, tooth pick, magnet and nail file.)

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.