The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#225692 - 06/10/11 10:56 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My bodum travel mug (blue), vaccuum pack of coffee gourmet grinds (in a ziplock bag) and a newly purchased bottle of kaluha, stored iin a SS flask! (Thanks for the idea Paul!)

[url=]Bodum Travel Mug[/url]

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#239134 - 01/12/12 03:04 AM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have been contemplating including a stove of some sort so I can make coffee. In a stressful situation, things I would need would be candle light, coffee, notebook and pen for writing, and a radio.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239141 - 01/12/12 01:59 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There ae many light, compact stoves out there and they can be critical in a tough situation, but their highest and best use is that all important nice cup of tea...

#239146 - 01/12/12 04:00 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
For some of us, morning coffee is definately a "survival" item. You would not want to be around me in the morning when I haven't had my coffee. mad

For years when camping I managed with a MSR white gas stove, a small filter cone, and some ground coffee. Then I discovered the Jetboil SOL and Starbucks VIA. Life is good! smile

(I still keep the MSR handy, since it works better in the cold, which has been known to happen around these parts.)

#239163 - 01/12/12 07:16 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have been contemplating including a stove of some sort so I can make coffee. In a stressful situation, things I would need would be candle light, coffee, notebook and pen for writing, and a radio.

Those are ALL great things to make sure you have in a kit.

I am the best person to answer the question of what I need in such a situation but suggestions don't hurt.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239165 - 01/12/12 07:43 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
confused umm...yeah...ok... Indeed, you are the best person to figure out what you want in your kit. I was simply commenting that I think all of the items you listed are great things for everybody to have. Maybe my use of all caps created some confusion, I certainly didn't intend to come across as telling you what you need or want - I'm sorry if that was the case.

I believe I am the one who is unclear. We agree I am the best person to make the final decision on what I NEED. However, there is always that possibility there is something I am overlooking. That is where the suggestions come in.

Jeanette Isabelle

#239169 - 01/12/12 08:20 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Jeanette Isabelle

A small stove and a medium saucepan is one of the "essential" luxuries. Being able to have coffee and a hot breakfast in the morning, and a hot dinner and chamomile tea in the evening does wonders for your morale. It also allows you to pack more dried goods (instant rice, pasta, couscous, etc) since you can now cook.

I've got an old Camping Gaz burner nested in a 2 qt saucepan, instant cofee, and about 5 days worth of fuel in my kit. If you want to go super cheap and light, an Esbit stove ($10-$15) will heat up water. Going up the cost scale are the Wal-Mart propane stoves ($15-$30), basic backpacking stove ($30-$70), and the ultimate is a multi-fuel backpacking stove that will handle gasoline, diesel, kerosene, and the usual stove fuels ($100+)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#239170 - 01/12/12 08:46 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In many situations, a stove/campfire can be critical to survival, not just a nice feature.

Also add to your spectrum of stoves - alcohol stoves - free for the making (various models) yo about $35.

You can spend as much or as little as you wish....

#239172 - 01/12/12 09:26 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The ability to just boil water goes a long ways. A lot of good stoves out there can't simmer well, but they are awesome at full power and can boil water. With boiling water I can make tea, coffee (a thermometer so you can use the water at 200°F also helps the brew), hot chocolate, Ramon, Lipton Cup-a-Soup, et al.

For the purpose of boiling water I have an old tea kettle and a Pocket Rocket with fuel canisters in my truck. That said, most any good stove will do.

#239178 - 01/12/12 10:39 PM Re: Urbane Preparedness [Re: dweste]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
If nothing else, I sure do like the title of this thread. The French press is my pleasure item.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.