Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#238942 - 01/09/12 03:08 AM The SuperGnat (Both Gaz or Threaded Canisters)
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
There are two types of modern gas canisters for backpacking (see Backpacking Gas Canisters 101 for further information).

Generally, stoves built for one type of canister only work with that type of canister. For example, Camping Gaz stoves generally only work with Camping Gaz canisters. There are a few exceptions. Unfortunately, those exceptions aren't very lightweight.

However, there is a relatively lightweight stove that will use either Camping Gaz or threaded canisters. Check out The SuperGnat.

HJ

#239065 - 01/10/12 08:42 PM Re: The SuperGnat (Both Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I used Camping Gaz stoves for years. Decades? Loved it. Just couldn't wrap myself around the MSR stuff. YMMV. I use JetBoil and White Box Stoves now but still have all unused canisters, lanterns, stoves for Camping Gaz

#239099 - 01/11/12 07:48 AM Re: The SuperGnat (Both Gaz or Threaded Canisters) [Re: comms]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Several things are nice about this stove:
1. You can burn whatever is cheapest. The CG 450g canisters are $7.00 in my area whereas threaded ones are $9.00.
2. There is no thread wear (because there aren't any threads). Stove threads do wear out. The threads on a conventional stove are typically brass. The threads on a canister are typically steel. Steel wins.
3. You can use any gas canister that has a collar and a compatible female valve. Yes, the SuperFly/SuperGnat was meant to handle Camping Gaz and standard threaded canisters, but there's nothing stopping one from trying other canisters. I've hooked up my SuperFly to a small canister intended for a small butane pocket blow torch. Be careful though. If a small canister tips over, you could be in a bad way. Likewise, if you hook up a SuperFly/SuperGnat to a canister that has some kind of feed tube inside, you could feed liquid fuel instead of gas to the burner. Uh, that would be bad. Still, if one were careful, there are a lot of potential non-standard fuel sources out there.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.