Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238725 - 01/05/12 08:02 PM How does a wilderness kit vs. urban?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How does your Urban kit or edc vary fro your camping/ hiking one?

#238727 - 01/05/12 08:22 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In my case, I'm severely restricted in what I can carry in my urban kit. It needs to be light, fit in a couple of pockets of my laptop bag, and it needs to conform to Corporate Correctness.

My urban kit has much less emphasis on fire. Shelter is somewhat reduced -- I do have a little cordage and a two-person Heatsheets. There's exactly nothing in the Signalling area unless you count my cellphone (including two standalone ways to charge it) and the shiny side of a CD-ROM. Same for navigation (I know the area extremely well and I should have no problems using commuter rail, car or shank's mare to get wherever I might need to go without navigation aids). First aid kit and folding knife are both smaller, and I don't carry a fixed-blade knife. While I carry water I'm likely to have more of it in my hiking kit.

My urban kit does include a small AM/FM/shortwave receiver, whereas my hiking kit will include my amateur radio HT (which receives everything that the receiver in the urban kit does and a bunch more). I also make sure to carry at least enough cash for a cab ride home.

#238728 - 01/05/12 08:27 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Urban kit is smaller, and:

-- includes more cash
-- includes AM-FM radio
-- smaller knife

#238735 - 01/05/12 09:25 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My urban kit is smaller. It has more money and is designed for a few hours of inconvenience, with less emphasis on fire, shelter or hot meals.

My wilderness kit is much more robust. It has more - more fire, shelter, first aid, signalling, food, means for cooking...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238778 - 01/06/12 01:23 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I usually carry the same EDC kit I usually carry, but do carry money in it (separate from places I normally carry money) and a local map (I travel a lot and am frequently in areas I am not that familiar with). My knife may change depending on local laws and how I am traveling.

#238803 - 01/06/12 09:35 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For me the biggest difference is the cash I carry in the urban environment, usually dispersed in more than one location. I always want to have sturdy walking shoes in either environment, along with a decent FAK. Definitely a cell phone when in town. I find more and more I carry my cell, even when deep in he woods.

#238901 - 01/08/12 06:52 AM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My kits contain keys to tap the respective resource bases, adjusted for legalities.

Urban resources in relatively normal times can be acquired with money; mildly abnormal times call for self-supply of potentially critical items like safe water, medications, particulate filtering air mask, minor wound treatments, etcetera. All geared toward brief shelter-in-place in an indoor environment until I can get to bigger kits.

In contrast the land typically yields its resources to tools and there are not many restrictions on carrying knives and saws. Rural EDC is generally more robust and is also geared to a brief / overnight shelter-in-place strategy but in an outside environment with several fire-starting methods.

#238907 - 01/08/12 01:23 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's also worth noting that many of us have shelter in place supplies in urban environments, either at home and or at the office. I have both, designed for those times when staying is the wisest alternative. My mobile (travelling) kits are with me when I'm not in either of those environments, perhaps enroute to one from the other, grocery shopping, visiting, camping, hiking, forced evacuation, etc.

My mobile kits are much different than my shelter in place kits. 3 examples: They contain shelter, whereas my SIP supplies included materials to fix or improve shelter. They contain navigation, which isn't a necessary part of my SIP gear. Communication is important for both kits but the more wildress my travels, the less I depend on things like cel phones. Also, the gear I'm going to be carrying on my back (or potentially so, in the case of vehicle kits and BOBs) needs to be lighter, smaller and easily packable. The farther from home I am, the more that's true.

Contrary to some, my emergency plans don't depend on the ability to restock in an urban environment or at gas-service stations along my travels, although that is normally an advantage to EDC in urban vs wilderness. A friend ran out of gas last week none of the three gas stations she walked to sold gas cans. I gave my EDC LED flashlight to my newphew on the weekend when his gifted headlamp broke and I have yet to see one in a gas station. (I've stopped at 6 so 7 so far). If I can't find thing as basis as these on a normal day, I'm not going to count on it in an emergency.

#238909 - 01/08/12 02:24 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jackie.... good call on the gas can.. a new red 1 gal plastic gas can is relatively inexpensive, and can transport gas or water for the radiator (for those not carrying drinking water) .... I'm more likely to need water for the radiator, as I try to keep the fuel tank at least 1/2 full at all times.

Edited by LesSnyder (01/08/12 02:33 PM)

#238910 - 01/08/12 02:37 PM Re: How does a wilderness kit vs. urban? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It was an eye opener experience for her Les. Letting the tank run low and then trying to beat the warning light just isn't a good plan. (Like you, I don't go under half a tank. "Top up, don't fill up" is my SOP in a number of things.)

I'm surprised that the average gas station doesn't seem to sell gas cans or flashlights. I can see why they wouldn't loan them but not having one or two to sell seems odd to me. I guess they may presume that the average driver is either perepared to fix things themselves or call someone to do it for them.

Edited by bacpacjac (01/08/12 02:46 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.