Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238549 - 01/03/12 05:07 PM Iphone flashlight rescue
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Another save for the iphone:

A lost hiker in Maryland first calls for help and then signals to the rescue helicopter with the flashlight on his iphone. Two rescuers rappel down from the chopper to get him and his dog out.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland...-rescued-010212

#238557 - 01/03/12 06:14 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: bws48]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Interesting story, good ending. I wonder if his mapping problems came from a lack of clear GPS signal, and if he knew what to do to improve that. As no one goes anywhere without their phone these days, and smartphones become more popular, I hope more people learn how to use their features to self-help before calling for help.

#238561 - 01/03/12 06:40 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: airballrad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Too bad he could not self rescue without requiring helicopter rappels, not the most inherently safe procedures around. Always carry good old paper maps as a backup! They also make good emergency fire starters, especially if waterproofed.

#238565 - 01/03/12 07:07 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: bws48]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In a similar situation, hikers are better off carrying a paper map, a compass, the knowledge of how to use them, and a better flashlight than the one on the iPhone. Carrying a minimum of gear to stay warm and comfortable in an unplanned overnight would be a good idea as well.

My iPhone does exceptionally well at providing accurate GPS fixes. I wonder what went wrong in his case.

#238567 - 01/03/12 07:12 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: bws48]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Sometimes phone GPS acts up. In one occasion when I was driving down the highway it showed consistently I was half mile east of it, like I was floating over residential area parallel to the highway.

#238573 - 01/03/12 08:51 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Too bad he could not self rescue without requiring helicopter rappels, not the most inherently safe procedures around.

Roger that!

rapelling = most dangerous maneuver in climbing

helicopter = highly dangerous air vehicle

(rapelling + helicopter) = lots of risk!

#238578 - 01/03/12 09:34 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
(rapelling + helicopter) = lots of risk!

Helicpoter operations at night are even more risky, even with night vision gear for the pilot. I'm a bit surprised that the authorities would opt for that procedure, rather than sending in a ground team? Or, assuming no one was injured and conditions weren't severe, why not drop them a sleeping bag and tent from the helo, and have them sit tight until morning?

I've only been hiking once in Maryland, a short hike while visiting a friend years ago, so I certainly don't know anything about the area. But my general impression was that there aren't many places that would be too far from a road or trail. Perhaps one of our members fron that area will fill us in with more details.

#238582 - 01/03/12 10:13 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am with you on this one. It seems to me that choppers are used more and more frequently these days, which is often a good thing when appropriate, but often a ground team is just as appropriate and a lot cheaper and generally less risky.

The only SAR related funerals I attended were for two helicopter pilots whose bird crashed as they were returning from their final mission of the day, jsut after dropping off some of our volunteers.

On one occasion, we were working on the ground as a helicopter came into position above us to hoist a litter with an injured victim. One of my companions required, "Are those blades set on puree or blend?" - gallows humor

Edited by hikermor (01/03/12 10:21 PM)

#238584 - 01/03/12 10:33 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: jzmtl]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Sometimes phone GPS acts up. In one occasion when I was driving down the highway it showed consistently I was half mile east of it, like I was floating over residential area parallel to the highway.

Agreed. DS and DD both had their cell phone GPS fail at the same time during a family trip outside of Ottawa last year. They were on 2 different major carriers, which added to the mystery. Thankfully we weren't in a situation where it really mattered. That incident reafg8rmed my faith in carrying a paper map and compass.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238586 - 01/03/12 10:37 PM Re: Iphone flashlight rescue [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Smart phones and tablets have nice flashlight features but I'd never want to rely on them, for the same reason I don't rely on those devices to get me out of trouble. (I do use them as preventative tools though. Checking the weather and road reports before trips, for example.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.