Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238463 - 01/02/12 05:09 AM The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
In a couple of days, MSR is set to release their new MicroRocket stove.

The MicroRocket will be MSR's first entry into the lightweight, high-end gas stove market. (The existing PocketRocket is more of an entry level stove).

Yesterday, I took the stove out on the trail for the first time.

Please join me on an another Adventure in Stoving: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1

HJ

#238470 - 01/02/12 12:45 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One small critique for consistency and to avoid confusion: In the 9th and 10th photos (right after discussing the piezoelectric ignition), you show the stoves folded in the first pic and then unfolded in the second. It took a couple seconds to realize you swapped the two stoves. Left to right between the two shots. They're labeled correctly under the pics so this is really a non-issue, but for us neanderthals who don't read fine print under photos, continuity helps.

Other than that minor non-issue, nice trail test. I really like that the MicroRocket simmers -- very cool (pun intended) wink

#238475 - 01/02/12 04:28 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Oh, sorry Russ.

My basic protocol is to test stoves like I'd actually use them on the the trail. I guess I'm more worried about the cooking (and the eating!) than what order things are. I was pretty hungry and so was my wife and my daughter. I may have just done whatever was fastest to get lunch ready. smile

HJ

#238479 - 01/02/12 05:26 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Jim..i made a comment at CCS but looking again at the close up of the stove/burner head i see that it's a "heavy"duty item.the castings,nut,bolts,flame spreader attachments and so on look like they are made to last and not a knock off thats made to look like a stove with a short working life.i have one of those small burners in the orange box that i carry in my PFD thats a "use once and toss" survival item like a foil blanket.

#238486 - 01/02/12 06:55 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
lol It seriously only took a couple seconds to realize the order was reversed in the pics, NBD. The important point of that post was that the MicroRocket simmers. Any question as to whether or not I'll wait buy the MR went away with that review. Thanks.

#238497 - 01/02/12 10:31 PM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Regard your comment on how the burner is lower on the micro, I'm wondering if that's the possible cause of CO, would it be possible to unscrew the stem from a PR, cut some off, retap the thread and drill the air hole, and achieve the same thing? Would make the burner lower and easier to shield from wind too.

I don't know enough about adjusting the air/fuel and lack the equipment to drill it, so I can't try it.

#238516 - 01/03/12 02:17 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Jim..

looking again at the close up of the stove/burner head i see that it's a "heavy"duty item.the castings,nut,bolts,flame spreader attachments and so on look like they are made to last
Yes, my impression exactly.

I took it out again today. I dragged the pot around on the pot supports. On the old PR, I got "chatter" from the thin pot supports as the weight of the pot moved them and then let go.

I got no "chatter" from the MicroRocket.

HJ

#238517 - 01/03/12 02:18 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
lol It seriously only took a couple seconds to realize the order was reversed in the pics, NBD. The important point of that post was that the MicroRocket simmers. Any question as to whether or not I'll wait buy the MR went away with that review. Thanks.
I took it out again today. Same results. ULTRA low flame was possible.

I left the lid on a pot of noodles and walked away. When I came back, NO burnt noodles. I had a hard time telling if the stove was on, and I was there.

HJ

#238518 - 01/03/12 02:22 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Regard your comment on how the burner is lower on the micro, I'm wondering if that's the possible cause of CO, would it be possible to unscrew the stem from a PR, cut some off, retap the thread and drill the air hole, and achieve the same thing? Would make the burner lower and easier to shield from wind too.

I don't know enough about adjusting the air/fuel and lack the equipment to drill it, so I can't try it.
You could do it, and it might or might not work. But why go through that when the professionals who have state-of-the art carbon dioxide monitors have done it for you?

Messing around with flammable gas burners isn't necessarily the best thing unless you really know what you're doing.

HJ

#238523 - 01/03/12 06:49 AM Re: The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Messing around with flammable gas burners isn't necessarily the best thing unless you really know what you're doing.

HJ

No, it's definitely not. I'm a born tinker but I know when to stop when my butt is on the line. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.