The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#238345 - 12/31/11 02:22 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Lotsa subtle variations. As I recall I purchased mine is a 1996, definitely mid-90's vintage -- USA stamped on pliers, L shaped screwdrivers, no wire cutter notch and TM number on one arm. I rarely concern myself with that level of detail.

#238353 - 12/31/11 03:55 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think I currently have that same, or very similar model. I bought my first L-tool about 1985, just as I relocated from Arizona to California, walking into my first REI retail store...

So, someday soon, we can sell these valuable artifacts and retire to a life of luxury?

#238357 - 12/31/11 07:49 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've had the LM-Crunch for about 5 yrs now,I can't see going back to the non-lockers anytime soon,short of losing this one of course.It is more expensive than most LM's,but has been extemely practical for everything!

#238358 - 12/31/11 01:13 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
So I'm sitting here with my original LM. It has Leatherman USA on the pliers. Only says Leatherman Tool, a US Patent number and Portland OR on one arm of the tool. The screwdrivers are L shaped. To the best of my recollection, I bought this mail order from BQM while I was stationed in Germany, so probably 86/87 time frame. It's a little worse for wear, but can still be used. Did I hit the lottery?

#238359 - 12/31/11 02:04 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I wonder just how many of the original PST's are still in service? Leatherman made and sold a lot of the original, and then they got big.

I don't know about the lottery, but when I pass on someone will probably buy a box of junk for $5 and find a collection. If whoever gets my stuff doesn't take the time to find out what they have, too bad. Someone who appreciates them will.

#238360 - 12/31/11 02:21 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have carried one Leatherman or another on my belt for almost 20 years, so over time I have aquired several of the models.

I have settled on two that fit my needs: the Supertool 200, and the Wave original model....I have a new Wave also, but like the old one better, just a personal preference. I carry the ST 200 only when I am in remote areas, as it has the necessary tools and is more robust but much heavier than the Wave.

With a little luck and shrewd research, there are still great bargains to be had on eBay. You really have to study the pictures, and avoid any that don't have detailed shots, or those who post the pictures from the Leatherman site. You also need to look for the bane of all vintage knives: broken and reshaped knife or tool tips and grinder marks or heat blueing.

The tools will be with us forever, but the original leather sheaths are starting to get rare. A good one can affect the price. I bought a couple of extra sheaths while they are still availble and tucked them away.

Bottom line: There are no bad Leathermans. Buy any one of them in good condition with a decent sheath and take reasonable care of it, and you will have an heirloom quality tool.

#238390 - 01/01/12 03:20 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I just got a $100 American Express Card for my birthday (Yes, it was yesterday.) I might give one of Victorinox's models a try. Spirit X maybe.

Happiest of happy birthdays Izzy!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238407 - 01/01/12 07:56 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: UTAlumnus]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Does Sail carry either of the Victorinox Swisstool styles? The newer Spirits are shaped more like a pair of pliers. Both are solidly constructed but the original Swisstools are SOLID but larger. I've got both and currently EDC the original.

I've never liked the screwdrivers on any SAK. For whatever reason, it seems the edges come from the factory rounded-off. Makes it very difficult to use on stubborn screws. I'm happy to EDC a Vic Compact, but reach for a LM or a real screwdriver to turn screws.

#238415 - 01/01/12 04:21 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
The LM Fuse is my Go-To multi-tool simply based on size, cost and simplicity. The LM Kick is good, but the tools don't lock and it rattles in the slightly oversized leather sheath (which appears to be the same size as the Fuse sheath).

To bad you passed up on the LM Charge, I really like the Charge TTi -- very nice tool. But it's a tad heavier due to a lot of tools I never use, hence my preference of the Fuse.

Agreed on all counds Russ. The Kick is ok but I prefer locking blades. I passed on the Chartge because it was so close to Christmas and because it was a little heavy for my liking. I don't think it would be edc for me, it's too big for DS, but would make a nice addition to a kit.

#238416 - 01/01/12 04:27 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jackie....it might help if you would determine what tools in addition to the pliers you deem necessary....

knife (large or small)
file
saw blade
awl
scissors
can opener
Phillips screwdriver
flat screwdriver
scraper
wire stripper

Les, at this point (8 yo) I think he's going to use it for tinkering so the priority is probably going to be:

Pilars
Screwdrivers
Scissors
Saw
Can opener
Bottle opener
Knife
File
Awl

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.