Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238308 - 12/30/11 09:53 PM The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
OK, if you're interested in traveling light, there's more to it than just the weight of a stove. You have to consider your entire cooking set up. And of course, it's really sweet when everything nests together inside a small lightweight mug type pot. So, the inevitable question is: Just how small is it? And will it fit in my particular set up?

I thought I'd take out a few of my mug type and other small pots and give it a go. And just for comparison's sake, I throw in a PocketRocket just to see if the MicroRocket really is any better. Join me as the MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera

HJ

#238310 - 12/30/11 10:06 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nice article, Jim. How much room does the PRII provide in a mini-Trangia? That has been my setup for solo trips for several years now with the classic PR. The canister goes elsewhere and I toss the original windscreen designed for the Trangia (unless I am using the Trangia stove rather than the PR). I have room for tea bags, lighter, condiments and the pot lifter and the aluminum foil windscreen along with the burner head. I also slip in a light plastic cut down bowl (Glad variety, I think) that perfectly fits the contours of the mini-Trangia bowl. The neat thing about the mini is the snap on lid/fry pan that holds everything solidly.

The condiments, mostly Constant Comment tea bags and sugar, are essential. What is the use of a cook set and stove if you can't make a nice cup of tea? - hmm, I think I will go brew one up now....

Edited by hikermor (12/30/11 10:08 PM)

#238312 - 12/30/11 10:20 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks Jim. That was an informative article on the size testing.

Although I currently don't have any size issues with the Pocket Rocket with the pots that I use. However, I can still see size and some space saving value in the smaller Micro Rocket stove and look forward to obtaining the stove in 2 weeks.

John Lubbock

#238313 - 12/30/11 10:25 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hikermor,

Well, to be honest, I don't know for sure. I've only tried it out on the four pots shown.

However, since it worked in a 550ml*, 780ml, and an 850ml pot, I'm pretty confident that a MicroRocket and a 110g canister of gas would fit in the 800ml, particularly with the very sensible proportions of the Trangia 28's pot.

I think 750ml to 800ml is a pretty safe bet with the MicroRocket unless a particular pot has odd proportions. If one were interested in a smaller pot, I'd say "try before you buy."

HJ

*It was marginal but workable in a 550ml pot.

#238314 - 12/30/11 10:28 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Although I currently don't have any size issues with the Pocket Rocket with the pots that I use. However, I can still see size and some space saving value in the smaller Micro Rocket stove and look forward to obtaining the stove in 2 weeks.
I don't think that suddenly the PocketRocket has become a piece of junk overnight, but I like everything I've seen so far on the MicroRocket. It really looks like MSR has done their homework.

Please note that all my remarks are preliminary at this point. I've only had the stove in my hands for two days now. I need to go out and beat on it and see if I can break it, er, I mean carefully test the stove in realistic field conditions. wink

HJ

#238315 - 12/30/11 10:30 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
No doubt this will save me some real estate in my Camelbak Rim Runner based GHB. How well does the MicroRocket /PRII fit in the Snow Peak Ti 700 mug?

#238316 - 12/30/11 10:31 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I don't think that suddenly the PocketRocket has become a piece of junk overnight, but I like everything I've seen so far on the MicroRocket. It really looks like MSR has done their homework.

Please note that all my remarks are preliminary at this point. I've only had the stove in my hands for two days now. I need to go out and beat on it and see if I can break it, er, I mean carefully test the stove in realistic field conditions. wink

HJ

I agree and I have always said that the original PR is a great stove and the new MicroRocket will make a nice companion piece for my smaller kits.

John Lubbock

#238318 - 12/30/11 10:54 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
No doubt this will save me some real estate in my Camelbak Rim Runner based GHB. How well does the MicroRocket /PRII fit in the Snow Peak Ti 700 mug?
Russ,

I know my gear closet must seem to be infinite based on my posts, but truth be known I don't own every conceivable pot and pan made for the outdoors. No, really!

The SP700 is one I lack. Unless you want to mail me a mug for test fitting, I'll have to beg off on that one -- although if I were a betting man, I'd probably put money on the SP700. The SP700's proportions should allow it to hold a MicroRocket and a 110g canister, but I haven't tried it.

HJ

#238320 - 12/30/11 11:17 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I can assure you that the original PR fits just fine in a SP 700 mug. I would say that the PR II could swim laps in one.

#238321 - 12/30/11 11:18 PM Re: The New MicroRocket "Mugs" for the Camera [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've got Peak 1 Micro Stove Jim. Do you have any idea how it compares? I almost never use it but am considering adding it to either my GHB or office BIB. Of course the other kit will probably kit a new stove....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.