Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#238228 - 12/30/11 12:34 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a collection of multitools, mostly made by Leatherman. I'd agree that the Wingman is a good starter multi, but for myself I prefer the Sidekick in that role. There's nothing close to as good at its price point, in my opinion.

#238229 - 12/30/11 12:36 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The LM Fuse is my Go-To multi-tool simply based on size, cost and simplicity. The LM Kick is good, but the tools don't lock and it rattles in the slightly oversized leather sheath (which appears to be the same size as the Fuse sheath).

To bad you passed up on the LM Charge, I really like the Charge TTi -- very nice tool. But it's a tad heavier due to a lot of tools I never use, hence my preference of the Fuse.

#238231 - 12/30/11 12:38 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Thanks Mark! I'll add Skeltools to my, umm, research list.

That's the ticket. I own over a dozen multi-tools. Strictly for research! Lol

But apparently my research is dated. I don't know some of the new models being discussed. Maybe that means my objective has been reached?

Edited by Mark_M (12/30/11 12:39 AM)

#238235 - 12/30/11 12:53 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Does Sail carry either of the Victorinox Swisstool styles? The newer Spirits are shaped more like a pair of pliers. Both are solidly constructed but the original Swisstools are SOLID but larger. I've got both and currently EDC the original.

#238236 - 12/30/11 12:56 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jackie....it might help if you would determine what tools in addition to the pliers you deem necessary....

knife (large or small)
file
saw blade
awl
scissors
can opener
Phillips screwdriver
flat screwdriver
scraper
wire stripper

Edited by LesSnyder (12/30/11 12:59 AM)

#238237 - 12/30/11 01:02 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Canadian Tire has a Schrade with small folder on sale this week. I've heard good things about Schrade but have no personal experience. The multitool has a smaller profile that looks like it would be good for little hands but looks really flimsy. It doesn't look stable enough to use the blades inside safely. Has anyone used one?

The original U.S. made Schrade multitool was a very robust item. But Schrade went under some years ago, and the name was bought by another company. The general consensus is that it is a shadow of its former self; the quality isn't there anymore. Avoid.

I had a look at the Sidekick and Wingman at Home Depot. I haven't had a chance to test them, but they look like great value for the money. Personally, I would choose the Sidekick: a saw is an indispensable item.

#238238 - 12/30/11 01:06 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: Mark_M]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Haha! You guys are a bad influence in a good way. :0.

[I've now got 3 Leatherman multis, 2 Gerbers multis, an SAK multi, 4 SAKs and about a half dozen folders of CRKT Buck, Leatherman and Gerber origin, along with 2 of my Grandpa's old pen knives. Hubby and I gave each other and our male wedding party members CRKT folders when we got married 8.5 yr ago, we gave the same group Waves for our anniversary a few years ago. I now have to physically stop myself from buying new gear. "Oh look! That SOG multi 8s on sale AND comes with a folder! (Oh! And look at that flashlight... and the pack! Isnthat a Maxpedition? OMG They've got AMK stuff too! " And I say I don't like shopping. LOL! GOOD BAD INFLUENCES!!]

I stopped at the surplus store tonight to buy paintballs. (We bought DS and my nephew their 1st paintball guns for Christmas and the gift giving happens tomorow night.) The guy at the counter knows me by name now. He told the new guy not to try to upsell me and then turned around and asked me how if I need a new knife. LOL!

I upped the ante on him, saying "no" and then asking him if he had a blast match. He'd never heard of it but new guy had had so they've ordered a few.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238253 - 12/30/11 01:51 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: bacpacjac]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
We have a brand new Sail store in town and they have a very nice looking hands-on knife display that's been calling my name. wink

Canadian Tire has a Schrade with small folder on sale this week. I've heard good things about Schrade but have no personal experience. The multitool has a smaller profile that looks like it would be good for little hands but looks really flimsy. It doesn't look stable enough to use the blades inside safely. Has anyone used one? (I don't really want to buy something we can't hold in our hands first anyway.)

No no no no no no no, Schrade name is now owned by taylor cutlery, which is famous for buying crap from lowest bidder and stamp one of their brand on it. Unlike Gerber they really do deserve their bad rep 100%.

Sail's price isn't cheap, you may be disappointed. I guess you are around TO, S&R knives is a good place to go, I've heard bring cash tend to get you better deals (never been there, but bought quite a few from their ebay store).

#238255 - 12/30/11 02:00 AM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: jzmtl]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks jtmtl! I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw it!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238285 - 12/30/11 05:35 PM Re: Multi-tool Suggestions [Re: jzmtl]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Go to multitool.org if you want to find out more about them.

If you can list the tools you want in a multi, and you want more information that you ever wanted about what to choose, do this. Just be warned. Not only is it another forum to get sucked into, but you'll end up lusting for multitools you never knew existed.

grin

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.