Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#238329 - 12/31/11 12:14 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Phaedrus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Why do people drive in cold weather without a winter coat? And on fumes?

Why do people decide not to take a leak before leaving home from work? There was a guy a few years ago around here who had to pee so bad he ran into a tree on his way home from work.

Why do parents allow their children to go to school in the winter wearing no gloves, no hat, and a jacket that would not be warm at 50 degrees, much less 20. And wearing sneakers.

Bob

#238337 - 12/31/11 01:09 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Phaedrus]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
sneakers would be a step up for most of the shoes worn down here... 1/4" soled strapless sandals or flip flops that would be lucky to make a mile trek....

#238361 - 12/31/11 03:00 PM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: GarlyDog]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
We all have the capacity for great stupidity and bad luck. It's part of the human condition. The thing about stupidity is that it knows no bounds so new ways to be stupid are being formed as we speak.

While being prepared helps, a lot, the random nature of bad luck can still put a lifesaving whistle 1" out of reach even if you carried it 24x7x365 around your neck. Sometimes you just don't win, regardless.

You are so right on this. Take a look at this guy. He shot an elk at dusk, and used a timer to take a picture of it and himself.

Would it have been bad luck or stupidity if the cat got him? Do we all check for mountain lions before a snapshot? Should he have been watching? Even if you looked, would you have seen it in the near-darkness? If you had a gun right there, would you have been able to get off a shot before the teeth sank into your neck?

Attachments
cat.jpg

#238362 - 12/31/11 03:16 PM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It all comes down to percentages and we all play the odds - You don't have to go to Las Vegas. If you take reasonable precautions against foreseeable problems, the odds increase in your favor. That is not to say that a meteorite will not come plummeting from the sky and conk you on the noggin, despite your best precautions.

So, BH, what is the rest of the story? Did the nice kitty attack?

#238364 - 12/31/11 03:20 PM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Byrd:

That photo you posted was photoshopped and has been proven as false.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/stalking.asp

John Lubbock

#238389 - 01/01/12 03:15 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Byrd:

Byrd's point is still vaild. Just a couple of weeks ago we were examining a story about a couple who survived the night in bear territory by sleeping under a fresh deen hide.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238392 - 01/01/12 03:43 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Byrd:

Just a couple of weeks ago we were examining a story about a couple who survived the night in bear territory by sleeping under a fresh deen hide.

Yes Byrd's point is still valid and I always appreciate his comments and insight on various discussions here.

On the other hand, the photo that was posted has made hundreds, if not thousand of rounds on various forums and websites without people being aware it is not real...

John Lubbock

#238394 - 01/01/12 03:59 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

No offense taken. Accuracy is important and I should have checked it out before posting it here. I didn't know it was fake, but it sure makes you think anyway. What makes it scary is that it is plausible. Several times I have heard about someone who backtracked only to see bear or wolf tracks over the top of theirs on the trail.

#238395 - 01/01/12 04:04 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
So, BH, what is the rest of the story? Did the nice kitty attack?

The story is one I got by email from a fellow hunter in Pennsylvania. It was nearly identical to the one in the Snopes article that Teslin posted the link for.

#238399 - 01/01/12 04:26 AM Re: Why the guys you read about have no gear? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Several times I have heard about someone who backtracked only to see bear or wolf tracks over the top of theirs on the trail.

I have observed mountain lion tracks covering mine on a trail in Arizona. It doesn't mean that the lion was "stalking" me. We were both taking a path of least resistance through some rough country - Baboquivari mountains in southern Arizona. It does kind of get your attention, however.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.