Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237756 - 12/22/11 04:24 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: Teslinhiker]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

This guy has come up with a solution to the problem, of course, he uses three space blankets and a tripod, still, I like it.

#237760 - 12/22/11 06:00 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I used a double size heatsheet last summer when I fell into our chilly side of Pacific Ocean,probably about 50 something F. water temp. & a sunny but windy day about 75 F.,My teeth were chattering,my camp towel was wet,so the heatsheet was available,& it worked well enough to warm me up in the sunshine,I still had my wet clothes on.I was fortunate enough,that it was summertime,& I had a change of clothes waiting back at camp about 150 yds away,I also ruined the heatsheet on the rocks that I attempted to warm up on,it has holes with duct tape now,I also carry 2 Lg survival bags from Survival resources for now on.no affiliation,just a Happy customer!

#237761 - 12/22/11 06:21 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: Crowe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Crowe
This guy has come up with a solution to the problem, of course, he uses three space blankets and a tripod, still, I like it.

I did not watch the whole video or any others. In this video though, even though he appears to be filming in his back yard. And you would hope that the probable cotton flannel shirt, blue jeans and non-breathable rubber boots are not his normal attire for his winter outings...

John Lubbock

#237763 - 12/22/11 09:21 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Survival bags/blankets don't do away with the need for insulation but they do give you a very fast wind / waterproof layer which can be a lifesaver. I always consider it an aid to building a shelter rather than an absolute shelter - although I think anyone who expects to build a shelter from natural materials better assume he has a lot of time / energy / daylight available - my SHTF scenario being injured with night falling relies on getting my butt off the ground and wrapping myself in a survival blanket

#237765 - 12/22/11 09:51 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bigreddog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my roughest night out, I found myself foundering in deep (over six feet) snow as night was coming on. I wanted to dig a snow cave, but the dry powdery snow wouldn't support a roof - I used a thin poncho I was carrying and the branches of a handy pine tree to get a roof over my head. No way was I able to get my butt off the snow. I was carrying a stove which enabled me to melt snow and heat water for tea, which is undoubtedly why I survived.

Interesting....This happened in Arizona on the San Francisco Peaks, exactly fifty years ago. I had indeed chosen the longest night of the year to spend the night out....

#237766 - 12/22/11 11:40 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: Crowe]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Crowe

What I like: Use physics (heat reflection properties of the space blanket plus the fact that hot air rises, so you sit in the upper part of a narrow triangular shape). The chair also gets you off the ground.

What I don't like: Duct-taping together three space blankets is NOT something I want to do in bad weather. I am unsure how good the construction would work in the wind. The construction could be made more wind resistant by adding logs and branches on top of the space blanket, I guess.

#237773 - 12/22/11 01:04 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Note that the key element is the nice, cheery fire he has built. In cold weather, fire is the key. He would survive, not as comfortably, if he had nothing but the fire. Without the ire, he is only marginally better off.

#237782 - 12/22/11 03:50 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I can attest to the quality and value of the AMK 2.0 bivy. At least in the northeast, it works as a summer bag, and really adds a lot to late fall camping when you put your sleeping bag in it. As noted, condensation is a problem, so I am also looking forward to the new soon-to-be-available bivy that AMK says deals with the condensation issue.

#237785 - 12/22/11 04:06 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The HeatSheet blankets and bivys are excellent tools, you just have to understand that they need to be integrated into a system. That system may use natural materials for insulation from the ground. You also have to appreciate that they are ultralight, ultracompact components and it's incorrect to compare them against a wool blanket and down sleeping bag.

These AMK products are far, far better than the old Mylar sheets. Even professional survival curmudgeon Peter Kummerfeldt has become a convert. For years he railed against Mylar blankets, and quite rightly so. But recently he was introduced to the much better AMK versions and he likes them.

The AMK products give you a very light, very compact, and very FAST way to keep wind & water at bay. Combine them with some simple bushcraft and hopefully a fire, and you have a truly useful asset.

#237788 - 12/22/11 04:37 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

The blankets were taped together beforehand. If you used something like gorilla tape, I think the blanket would fail before the tape did. The whole deal looks about softball sized.

He has the bottom sealed with snow, presumably you could use logs or rocks to anchor the bottom, but I do have my doubts how it would hold up in high winds, but then any tarp in high winds is going to have problems. You could gorilla tape in 550 cord loops for anchor points.

Of course, it does depend on found materials and a fire, but its not too bad for something that fits in two coat pockets.

One could rig something comparable with a tarp with a silver reflective side, that would be more durable and easier to anchor, but nowhere as compact. Also, there is no reflector on the fire, which would improve efficiency as well.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.