The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237718 - 12/21/11 09:59 PM Survival Blankets
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Has anyone tried the AMK SOL Survival Blankets? I'm curious about how they compare to Heat Sheets and Mylar blankets in real life. I've seen them in an Equipped to Endure video once or twice and found them in a local outdoor store today. For $3.99 for a single and $5.49 for a double, they were just the right price for Santa's elf to pick up one of each for my son and I. They don't weigh much more than a Mylar blanket and less than a Heat Sheet. I liked the manufacturer's description so thought we'd try them out:

The most advanced emergency blanket on the market - meticulously designed never to fail when you're counting on it with your life. It all starts with the material -vacuum-metalized polyethylene reflects 90% of your body heat while also offering a number of other important features that set it apart from traditional mylar blankets: it opens easily and will not shred if nicked or punctured, rips and tears can be repaired, it is quiet and won't crinkle in high winds, and its high-visibility orange exterior makes it easy for rescuers to find you. Plus, survival tips and techniques are printed directly on the blanket so you have them when you need them. Sized to fit two people.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237722 - 12/21/11 10:12 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Well, for my money, that description is simply marketing drivel. Blankets of this sort are useful and they are way better than nothing if you get to the point where you need to use them. So far, I have always had better choices so I don't have any actual experiences to relate. I am sure they are way better than a damp dish rag.....

#237732 - 12/21/11 10:49 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like having better options too Hikermor. I always carry a Heat Sheet for shelter and a Mylar blanket for medical emergencies and shelter enhancement, and have an AMK Bivvy in my GHB, but this seems better than regular Mylar blankets and bags so I though "Why not?" I like the high viz orange side and the seemingly tougher construction. The packaging is also tougher and seems to protect the blanket better.

It's made by AMK and they usually live up to their billing.

#237735 - 12/21/11 11:50 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I thought the AMK SOL was the same thing as the HeatSheet...?

#237738 - 12/22/11 12:32 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I thought the AMK SOL was the same thing as the HeatSheet...?

It is. At the last SHOT Show AMK re-branded all of their survival items under the "SOL" brand. SOL standing for "Survival Outdoors Longer." It's the same Heat Sheet and Bivvy bags, but under a new logo. The bivvy sacks still come in stuff sacks, but now the heat sheets come in sealed (rip open, ziplock style) bag. But still the same stuff.

I didn't realize that. I learn something every day here! I've been scanning your site for a review Izzy. Thanks for the info!

This seems lighter than a heat sheet, but that is based solely on perception. The price point is cheaper than I'd seen for Heat Sheets so that makes me happy.

Edited by bacpacjac (12/22/11 12:33 AM)

#237741 - 12/22/11 01:16 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Izzy! They had two different AMK Bivvys there today - regular and thermal - and I was tempted to grab a thermal. I I like my non-thermal one but I do live in Canada after all. I may have to venture back tomorrow but then again, my birthday is in January, just in time for the new launch...

#237745 - 12/22/11 02:22 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

get the best you find and if the aluminum gets grayish toss it out.this one was in my PFD for a few years and you can see what it turned into when i opened it on a snow shoe hike that winter.

#237746 - 12/22/11 02:27 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That proves why it's a good idea to keep an eye on and test your gear regularly, Canoedogs, no matter what make or model. That would have sucked if you really needed it.

#237750 - 12/22/11 03:29 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL in agreement with your opinion about things being shoved up your nose.

I wouldn't want to depend on them like that either. I prefer to wear smart clothing and carry a proper sleeping bag or blanket, maybe even a small tent, as my primary defense against the elements. I'd rather use these types of blankets for shelter building and enhancement.

#237752 - 12/22/11 03:35 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
There's a lot of debate on whether these kinds of products even work at all. For example a person would be wrapped up in one of these, but their bottom would be sitting on a cold rock which would act as a heat sink to suck away the body heat and exchange it with the cold of the ambient temp the rock is at. It goes down the various ways your body loses heat in a variety of situations.

Izzy makes a good point.

Even in a true non-survival situation, keeping your bottom off cold surfaces can go a long ways between being warm and cold.

I carry one these bum pads with me at all times in the backpack. These pads which are 9.5" x 17.5" x .75" folded, can not only be used to keep your bum warm, but other areas such as a foot pad to keep your feet directly off snow etc. The pad also comes in very handy to slip between your back and a jacket on cooler nights when sitting around the campfire as usually the front of you is warm from the fire but your backside is not.

Also while carried in the pack, the pad serves as a cushion against gear that sometimes bulge through the pack and rubs against your back.

For $10.00 (x2) these pads are one of the best gear investments I have ever made.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.