Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237938 - 12/24/11 05:08 PM Walking speeds
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Useful to know: what your walking/ hiking speed?

Mines somewhere 2-6mph depending. Good to know for planning.

#237939 - 12/24/11 05:38 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Methinks pretty much everybody's walking speed falls in that range.

Also, SAR BC's estimated travel speed tables - by foot, bike, canoe, ski, and snowshoe:

http://www.sarbc.org/sarbc/speed.html

#237941 - 12/24/11 06:05 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Not sure how 6 miles per hour can be construed as walking speed for the vast majority of people. At the gym and on the treadmill, at 5 to 6 miles per hour I am in a light to moderate jog.

With walking the urban concrete jungle or hiking trail, there are far too many variables to take into account such as (but not limited to): terrain, elevation gain/loss, physical and physiological condition of person, weather (heat/cold/humidity/rain/snow), weight of pack, type of footwear and so on...

The linked chart that Yelp provided is far more realistic keeping in mind that that is based on overall and generalized averages. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary...and no pun intended.)

John Lubbock

#237943 - 12/24/11 06:40 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the nice things about using a GPS is that you know your walking speed precisely and it is continuously computed.

You are absolutely right - there are numerous variables. I suspect that for most people over typical, somewhat hilly terrain, 3 mph is a pretty good pace. It will range downward from there.

#237948 - 12/24/11 07:46 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: yelp]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Thanks for posting the SAR BC speed tablesm they look about right. smile

#237955 - 12/24/11 10:56 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Teslinhiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Not sure how 6 miles per hour can be construed as walking speed for the vast majority of people.

Yes, 6 mph is definitely beyond walking speed for me. Thought of another way, that's a 10-minute mile pace for 6 miles straight and I can't cover a mile in 10 minutes without running.

#237963 - 12/25/11 02:32 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

People always overestimate their walking pace whether in the city or on a hiking trail. People also overestimate how far they can or thought they walked in a given day.

The SO and went out for a walk/run at the local park late this afternoon. She ran while I walked so I could get some updated elapsed walking pace data just for this thread.

The park trail is 1 km per lap and is a mix of gravel and loose cedar wood chips. I did 5 laps (3.1 miles) in 41.18 minutes which was a relatively easy pace for me considering the uneven, wet and spongy ground. From previous time vs laps over 10 km in this same park, it was a consistent and relative to shorter distance elapsed time for me today. I also know from experience that I can maintain a similar pace on concrete over the same 10 k distance while carrying a 10-12 lb pack as even though concrete is harder on the feet and legs, there is not as much give and softness as compared to non-concrete park trail so I find that my pace is more consistent.

Keeping the above in mind. In a true evac on foot and in an urban environment while carrying a heavier backpack, there is no way I could maintain the same pace for hours and my legs and feet are very well conditioned. I would think that a relatively slow 3 mile per hour pace on decent urban ground and proper footwear over about 8-10 hours would be at the extreme max of my limit per day.

John Lubbock

#237965 - 12/25/11 02:40 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Similar to hikemor's reply, that is why I carry a GPS. I log my hikes and then store those for later so I have some baseline data to compare to.

#237966 - 12/25/11 02:47 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Eugene]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

For those who do not have a GPS, there is also gmap-pedometer which I use for urban walking and running mileage calculations.

John Lubbock

#237973 - 12/25/11 11:54 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a very fast walker in everyday urban life. While I'm just 5' 10", my normal nightly walking route of 2.9 miles is generally covered in 45 minutes. That's a tad over 3.75 mph. Of course, that's a fairly flat route with one gradual downhill slope and one very steep uphill jaunt. I'm not superfit or anything, I just walk fast. confused Maybe it comes from 25 years of cooking professionally.

Things are different in the bush, of course.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.