Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237821 - 12/23/11 12:58 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: Crowe]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Crowe
This guy has come up with a solution to the problem, of course, he uses three space blankets and a tripod, still, I like it.

Not criticizing, as he has a pretty good setup.

With the high profile and completely open front, I just wonder what the effect of shifting winds would be. I also question the temperature differential between the peak of the shelter and the ground where his feet are. I don't think you can overstate the need to keep your feet warm in winter survival situations.

I have tried various materials and configurations in my winter camps and I believe that a shelter configured from the same materials, but low and horizontial in front of a fire with a log or stone reflector opposing would be more wind resistant and have a more consistant temperature inside.

I have not been in a true survival situation in winter, but to prepare, I carry a folding saw. a nylon poncho, 50 ft of 550, a silver sheet, and an orange AMK double sized sheet. The nylon poncho with a sapling frame is the shelter, lined inside with the silver reflector sheet, and then a bed of leaves, grass, or pine needles, I would wrap up in the heatsheet in front of the fire.

#237865 - 12/23/11 01:08 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like Dave Canterbury's set up here. It's easy to construct, even if your blankets don't have gromets (I use small rocks and some paracord at the corners). In cold weater, you're going to want that pad to stop heat loss into the ground. The configuration he's showing here works better with a steeper pitch to the roof if there's a chance of snow and you're also going to want to put rocks, logs or snow on the ground edges to stop drafts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pQLVUFTpUOk

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237866 - 12/23/11 01:34 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Have you had any experience with the rock/paracord tie-ins during significant wind? I plan to use tarps or blankets in a similar fashion and I have always wonder how well they will hold when it gets breezy...

A question that easily comes to mind. We are experiencing Santa Ana winds today........

#237869 - 12/23/11 01:51 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Have you had any experience with the rock/paracord tie-ins during significant wind? I plan to use tarps or blankets in a similar fashion and I have always wonder how well they will hold when it gets breezy...

A question that easily comes to mind. We are experiencing Santa Ana winds today........

I haven't tried to put rock/paracord tie-ins together in seriously high winds or severe cold. I expect that finger dexterity would be an issue in that case, so preparing the tie-ins before would be prudent. (Thank goodness it's only an emergency shelter for me.) I have noticed that once they're together they stay pretty taut as long as you make your knots tight and secure. I've only tested the set up a few times so others with more experience may have a better perspective.

#237970 - 12/25/11 03:18 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: hikermor]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor

It's gets pretty windy where I often camp and it has caused equipment damage before.

My friend uses the blue and/or silver heavy duty tarps at camp and in high winds, the grommets rip out. I have used the pebble approach on his same tarp and the winds didn't damage the tarps further.

My conclusion is the pebble or whatever in the tarp has been more reliable and flexible than grommets, just not as convenient. When I use the grommets in wind, I will sometimes use a loop of bungee cord ala the USMC tarp. That gives some give to hopefully reduce damage.

But with a space blanket, the weak part is the blanket itself. And the wrapped pebble or grasses or whatever you put in there approach would probably be the strongest way to do it. My disclaimer is that while I have used tarps a lot in high wind, I have never tried a survival blanket in high wind.

I have seen tarp setups survive where the EZ Up type canopies have had their frames twisted and broken by the wind.

#237984 - 12/25/11 09:15 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I like Dave Canterbury's set up here. It's easy to construct, even if your blankets don't have gromets (I use small rocks and some paracord at the corners). In cold weater, you're going to want that pad to stop heat loss into the ground. The configuration he's showing here works better with a steeper pitch to the roof if there's a chance of snow and you're also going to want to put rocks, logs or snow on the ground edges to stop drafts:

Just one quick observation: With the SPACE blankets clipping a couple of small non climbing carabiners into the eyelets enables you to loop your 550 cord as prussiks without having to mess around untying and retying things. A serious consideration when you need to get that shelter up in a hurry. Probably cut two min off the erection time.

#237985 - 12/25/11 10:51 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Just one quick observation: With the SPACE blankets clipping a couple of small non climbing carabiners into the eyelets enables you to loop your 550 cord as prussiks without having to mess around untying and retying things. A serious consideration when you need to get that shelter up in a hurry. Probably cut two min off the erection time.

Great idea Leigh. If I carried space blankets with tarps, I'd probably pre-tie them and adding carabins to them makes a lot of sense. Eliminating finicky work with cold fingers is high on the priority list. In fact, giving that it's winter here now, I'll consider doing just that. Thanks!

#238021 - 12/26/11 07:45 PM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Slight thread hijack...

The Thermarest RidgeRest sleeping pad seen in the above video link is a great product and has been my main sleeping pad for a quite awhile now. After using this pad, I will never go back to the Zotefoam type sleeping pads.

John Lubbock

#238029 - 12/27/11 01:33 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOVE my thermarest! I was thinking of picking up a ridge rest for day hikes, instead of taking the pro lite, which is part of my long hike pack-GHB.

Actually, come to think of it. We have two ridge rests somewhere. hmmm.. a treasure hunt before DS and I go hiking tomorrow it is!

Edited by bacpacjac (12/27/11 01:57 AM)

#238030 - 12/27/11 02:08 AM Re: Survival Blankets [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The Prolites are good. My SO has the Prolite Plus Women's model which has a higher R value due to a bit more insulation in the lower and foot part of the mattress. She swears by the sleeping pad and has logged plenty of nights of comfortable sleep on it over the last couple of years.

I don't have a Prolite but instead, use a MEC Kelvin model non-insulated air pad. The Kelvin models are no longer made but I have had mine now for about 3 years with no problems and no leaks. Like the Prolites, the Kelvin rolls up very compact and is not much taller in height then a Nalgene bottle.

John Lubbock

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.