Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#237731 - 12/21/11 10:34 PM Re: Osprey Nato 58 canteen doesn't fit SS mug [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
For what it is worth, there are readily available stainless steel mugs that fit neatly on Nalgene bottles and energy bottles (like Gatorade) that are much cheaper, just as functional, and no heavier. If you want to spend a lot more for less weight, a Snow peak 700 mug will work in the same manner.

Yes thanks I have seen the Snow Peaks previously and know a few people who own them. If I were to replace my existing SS mug then I would probably go for the Snow Peak. However with the tin can being only used for an emergency backup, (and not had to be used for a few years), the price point on the tin can as compared to the Snow Peak cannot be beat!

John Lubbock

#237739 - 12/22/11 12:36 AM Re: Osprey Nato 58 canteen doesn't fit SS mug [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
), the price point on the tin can as compared to the Snow Peak cannot be beat!

That is so often the case with this stuff. Very often, you can get 90% of the utility for 5% of the price (or less). I always liked the contrast between a recycled Gatorade canteen and an $82 titanium water bottle. Of course, cactus or mesquite spines will never pierce titanium, but just think what you could get for the extra eighty bucks - that is a good start on a PLB.

#237744 - 12/22/11 02:20 AM Re: Osprey Nato 58 canteen doesn't fit SS mug [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I do the same thing Teslin. In the summer I use a stainless steel water bottle in a tin can, and in the winter I swap out the canteen and add a stainless steel thermos. I carry a GI canteen and mess cup as well on longer hikes and in my GHB for additional water and so I can use the can to boil water and the mess cup to heat food.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237854 - 12/23/11 06:07 AM Re: Osprey Nato 58 canteen doesn't fit SS mug [Re: GradyT34]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
FWIW, I have gotten tired of the wide round shape of Gatorade bottles and 'normal' Nalgene bottles. I had a couple GI canteen cups in my gear box and when I needed a new container I bought the Nalgene Oasis, their version of the GI Canteen. I love it. I love the fit in my canteen cup. I love that I can also use my old Canteen cover off my LBE to attach it to a wider assortment of my carry options. YMMV

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.