Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237539 - 12/18/11 03:13 AM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
One advantage women have is that nobody questions it if we carry a bag. In fact, we're often questioned if we don't. on the other hand, you guys get way more practical clothes and footwear. (Then again, I'm sure I'm not the only woman who disregards those fashion guidelines.)

On the other hand, you can store a fire starter kit in one heel and a fishing kit in the other; use pantyhose to filter water; use high heels as weapons; strap knives or guns to the garter belt (I saw this in a movie once); disguise a tactical flashlight as lipstick... You are just dealt different cards, that's all. whistle

I'm not sure what the big deal is for a man to carry a bag, or even a purse.

#237541 - 12/18/11 04:26 AM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley

...use pantyhose to filter water....

Great idea Bing! I knew they had some practical use. wink

W.hy not throw a pair of knee highs in your kits? Rocket Richard wore them under his skates to keep his feet warm and they could make good cordage too.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237552 - 12/18/11 10:04 AM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

I'm not sure what the big deal is for a man to carry a bag, or even a purse.

Just call it a briefcase, and you will be fine. It is amazing how significant terminology can be. "Messenger bags" are OK, as is anything that is decorated with MOLLE webbing on the exterior; that is extremely macho and manly.

#237557 - 12/18/11 03:10 PM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Guys have perfectly acceptable "man bags" these days, from bike messenger type shoulder bags to laptop bags.

And still benefit from more and better pockets in clothing.

But women did get a head start (and pinched nerves) with purses.

Watch out for purse/man bag snatchers!

Actually Dagny, men HAD purses ... until someone invented pockets and wallets. Then we adopted them.
http://www.randomhistory.com/2008/10/01_handbag.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handbag

We men were fortunate enough to drop out of the "high heels" races around the 1700's as well.

#237560 - 12/18/11 04:47 PM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#237564 - 12/19/11 12:40 AM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: MDinana]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Guys have perfectly acceptable "man bags" these days, from bike messenger type shoulder bags to laptop bags.

And still benefit from more and better pockets in clothing.

But women did get a head start (and pinched nerves) with purses.

Watch out for purse/man bag snatchers!

Actually Dagny, men HAD purses ... until someone invented pockets and wallets. Then we adopted them.
http://www.randomhistory.com/2008/10/01_handbag.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handbag

We men were fortunate enough to drop out of the "high heels" races around the 1700's as well.

I know my male ancestors carried a purse (sporran)

http://www.jhiggins.net/Irish/sf_catproductlist.asp?sf_p_CID=KOTTKLCR7Q74U9TP45RJR5FEPL

Attachments
irishnational2_a.jpg

#237573 - 12/19/11 06:17 AM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

I know my male ancestors carried a purse (sporran)

Yes, but nicely balanced (manly-man-wise) by a double-edged dirk in the sock ... cool

I commonly use a smallish two-compartment Targus laptop bag as a carry-all. Fairly comfy for urban carry. Room for an ultralight laptop along with my usual necessary junk.

#237583 - 12/19/11 03:49 PM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin

...use pantyhose to filter water....

Great idea Bing! I knew they had some practical use. wink

Why not throw a pair of knee highs in your kits? Rocket Richard wore them under his skates to keep his feet warm and they could make good cordage too.

It doesn't seem that pantyhose would do much more than removing the fairly big stuff. I would think a bandanna would do better.

#237638 - 12/20/11 03:43 PM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: TeacherRO]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I decided that bring prepared was more important than style a long time ago. Not that I don't get a lot of heckling, especially at work. I carry a smaller laptop or messenger bag, with my Marmot Kompresser inside it, zipped up in a tight ball in case I need extra storage.

#237640 - 12/20/11 05:30 PM Re: Mom's purse, the original Every Day Carry bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
One advantage women have is that nobody questions it if we carry a bag. In fact, we're often questioned if we don't. on the other hand, you guys get way more practical clothes and footwear. (Then again, I'm sure I'm not the only woman who disregards those fashion guidelines.)

No, you're certainly not the only woman who disregards those fashion guidelines!! Those "guidelines" should all be defenestrated...no more high heels, pantyhose, tight skirts or the like. Functional pockets would be nice too, for the times when we don't want to carry a purse (high crime areas, wanting to have hands free, etc.). It's annoying when we have to find something to wear for some special occasion but can't find anything that doesn't involve being really impractical.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.