Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#237532 - 12/17/11 11:57 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Double post. Sorry!

Edited by bacpacjac (12/18/11 03:36 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237533 - 12/17/11 11:58 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This thread, the Altoids tin challenge, and my son's Cub Scout Camping badge work, got me thinking about the now empty Altoids tin in the kitchen junk basket. my son and I just turned it into a little kit with:

-6 lifeboat matches*
-2 birthday candles*
*wrapped in 2 ziplock bags and secured with a little duct tape
-1 mini BIC
-1 scaple blade (wrapped in a little tinfoil)
-1 standard razor blade (wrapped in tin foil)
-1 white mini LED
-1 tube of lip balm
-5 cotton balls
-1 hard candy
-1 wool needle
-1 flexible straw

The tin has been wrapped in duct tape and is currently waiting for some paracord whipping.

Not the most robust kit in the world, and heavy on fire, but not a bad suplimentary kit for the car or hiking kit in the Canadian winter.

Edited by bacpacjac (12/18/11 03:28 AM)

#237725 - 12/21/11 10:17 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I think that one of the things we have learned about being prepared is to have a hierarchical approach to our kits.

The first step in the hierarchy is what we have in our pockets--however packaged. After that is what is in our EDC bag, whatever it is called (including a purse). Then it is what is quick access behind the driver's seat in the car, followed by something bigger in the trunk.

And, not to belabor the obvious, where you live changes a lot. North Dakota in the winter vs. southern Florida in the summer. extra warmwear vs. mosquito netting clothing.

#237747 - 12/22/11 02:44 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Hanscom]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Hanscom
I think that one of the things we have learned about being prepared is to have a hierarchical approach to our kits.

And, not to belabor the obvious, where you live changes a lot. North Dakota in the winter vs. southern Florida in the summer. extra warmwear vs. mosquito netting clothing.

Absolutely right on both points, Hanscom. The similarities are generalizations like shelter, fire, water, food, comms and protection, but what those mean and how they are prioritized will be individualized to each of us. We might all carry basics like water, fire, knife, light and whistle but what those are exactly will be different for each of us.

#238601 - 01/04/12 01:42 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey All, I still carry an Altoids Based Kit (and even smaller) when I need to have the lightest back-up kit I can because of all the other work/play equipment I am caring. I do cheat on this though because I almost always have my usual EDC equipment on me also. I am working on a new Belt Pouch, Altoid Tin based Hunting kit that I started 2 years ago and must have finished by next fall. Later, Mike

#238689 - 01/05/12 12:22 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I am working on a new Belt Pouch, Altoid Tin based Hunting kit that I started 2 years ago and must have finished by next fall. Later, Mike

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

#238694 - 01/05/12 01:16 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I am working on a new Belt Pouch, Altoid Tin based Hunting kit that I started 2 years ago and must have finished by next fall. Later, Mike

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Ditto! Warning to all newbies - kit design and modification can easily become an addiction. A fun and useful one, but addiction no less.

#238696 - 01/05/12 03:25 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for a belt pouch ...the remnants of my AMK (I EDC some of it) reside in an ammo pouch with bellows gussets (approx 5x3x2"), velcro full flap... holds Adventure Medical Kit, Heat Sheet, MRE beverage bag, Katadyn ClO2 tabs, full faceplate Silva compass with Ranger beads,wire saw, SAK with scissors and saw, Bic and firesteel

for EDC a generic multitool pouch... LM Juice S2, ClO2 tabs, water bag from food processor pouch, section hacksaw blade, safety pins, needle, small firesteel, duct tape on card, and straw with petroleum cotton ball... the rest of the EDC items, P38,Fenix,whistle,pill fob are on the key ring, a couple of cloth bandaids, non adherent pad, and small bloodstopper gauze in the wallet

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.