Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229920 - 08/16/11 08:39 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: NightHiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My understanding is that the altoids tin PSK was developed primarily for person in flight who would be thrust into a survival situation as the result of a forced landing or crash, perhaps having only the clothes on their back. For that purpose, it is way better than nothing. A bulkier, more adequate survival kit could hinder your egress from the craft, putting you in jeopardy.

On the other hand, if I am planning a wilderness trip of some sort, nearly all of my gear is devoted to some aspect of survival. In this situation, a dedicated altoids style PSK makes much less sense.

I do find an altoids container just about right for holding my backup fire starting materials, which is definitely a redundant item I will carry gladly.

#229921 - 08/16/11 08:48 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I carry one.

The young and foolish try to pack an all singing, all dancing kit into one.

The older and wiser nub it down to a few useful bit's.

I carry in mine:

2 x Wetfire.
3 x Tinderquick.
4 x Wet n Windy's (lifeboat matches to you) with striker.
6 x Waterproof matches with striker.
1 x Sailmakers needle.
10ft heavy duty tread.
20 ft 30lb spyderwire fishing line.
3 hooks.
Button compass.
6 chlorine dioxide tablets.
6 ft sash cord.

I stash knife, mutitool etc in my pockets.

#229927 - 08/16/11 11:53 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
I gave up my Altoids too. Now I use a Maxpedition organizer and anything that needs to be waterproof is stored in Aloksak bags inside. The Maxpedition cases are water resistant and are teflon coated to keep it from getting grimy.

An excellent idea nuggethoarder - thank you. I have been struggling with the both the Altoid and a separate FAK.

The Micro seems small enough to fit in the cargo pocket, but large enough to store the contents of both without being to bulky.

#229929 - 08/17/11 12:44 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Nato7]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: Nato7
The Micro seems small enough to fit in the cargo pocket, but large enough to store the contents of both without being to bulky.

If you use milspec pants, then all of the Maxpedition organizers I mentioned will fit in a cargo pocket - even the Fatty organizer. Some brands of tactical pants are not milspec and are too small for the Fatty or the E.D.C. organizer but will accept at least the Mini and Micro.

#229942 - 08/17/11 02:35 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for what it's worth... you can get the following in a 4x6 heavy duty zip top pouch that holds 350ml of liquid...thickness is that of the miniBic and whistle

mini Bic, wrapped with 4' duct tape with button compass taped on
TOPS thin 3 chamber whistle
4 Katadyn ClO2 tabs
2 Tylenol, 2 Advil
3 Steri Strips
2 cloth knuckle bandaids
2x2 Blood stopper gauze
povidone iodine prep pad
6' duct tape on card
small ferro rod
heavy duty needle
20' 15# mono line
1L pouch (from food processor bag)
rescue flash signal mirror
AAA battery (for Fenix E01)

I went to the heavy duty zip top pouch originally to have the water transport capability... has been in a cargo pocket for 6+ months and shows no wear...as the active part of the hurricane sesason gets closer, switched the Vic Farmer out for a Vic Multi tool (wish it were titanium)

#229966 - 08/17/11 04:47 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I keep the basic tin in my daily pack. But I use others as parts of other kits: fire kit, first aid kit, meds kit, fishing kit, water kit (oven bag & tubing), etc.

Sue

#229984 - 08/17/11 08:33 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Yes. While the tin is a good start, I find it a tad too small, too metal and not water/dustproof. Currently trying out some slightly bigger kit sizes and materials...

But.. but... but... it's curiously strong! (You knew this one was coming.)

Seriously, a part of the pleasure for me is making the tin empty. I like Altoid tins because they are a good disguise, and they are small. But there is always a trade off, I guess.

Da Bing

#229989 - 08/17/11 11:00 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
1040 pelican case - waterproof but very bulky for the volume

What did you keep in your Pelican 1040? It must have been a comprehensive kit. The interior dimensions are 6.50" x 3.87" x 1.75".

Jeanette Isabelle

It was for a combined psk and a fak. I didn't use it for very long because the size wasn't practical. Back then my items were also a bit larger in volume. Nowadays I use it to store electronics in it especially when on the water.

Today my philosophy is to break the two functions into separate flexible pouches. That makes it easier to put one each into cargo pants pockets.

#230011 - 08/18/11 04:10 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I use a small, clear waterproof bag, the type with a multi-fold velcro at the top. After a couple of years it has proven durable and has stayed dry.

I think that the idea of an Altoids tin is great - its a good (and often cheap) way to get people and kids engaged and thinking about equipment, how it can be used and what they would do in particular situations. For some people the exercise may stop there, for others they will naturally start to expand...

I guess that most people on the forum would have "survival" built into everything - key ring, wallet, purse, backpack, car, home, work etc ... but I would hazzard a guess many would have started with some kind of a mini-kit - like an Altoids ?

Altoids - Its like those soft drugs that go on to get people hooked on hard core-survival ! crazy

#230027 - 08/18/11 03:30 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Aussie]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Aussie
Altoids - Its like those soft drugs that go on to get people hooked on hard core-survival!

That's it: Altoids is a gateway container! grin

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.