Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229881 - 08/15/11 09:16 PM What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit??
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes. While the tin is a good start, I find it a tad too small, too metal and not water/dustproof. Currently trying out some slightly bigger kit sizes and materials...

#229886 - 08/15/11 10:28 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm a fan of a psk in a pouch that's More camoflauged - a waterproofed digital camera case is my current favorite. Mine has a Ritter AMK PSK plus a few extras. (i.e. mini bic, keychain led, mag bar, SAK, extra tinder, etc.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229889 - 08/15/11 10:45 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I gave up my Altoids too. Now I use a Maxpedition organizer and anything that needs to be waterproof is stored in Aloksak bags inside. The Maxpedition cases are water resistant and are teflon coated to keep it from getting grimy.

They make several sizes (inches)
Micro Pocket Organizer 3.5x5.5x1
Mini Pocket Organizer 4x6x0.75
E.D.C. Pocket Organizer 5x7.0.75
Fatty Pocket Organizer 5x7x2

They also make a lot of other organizer type pouches...
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Organizers-c14.htm

#229894 - 08/16/11 01:36 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I haven't used a tin to store my PSK in years - like the Otterbox I once carried around and the aluminum match safe kit, it just didn't accessorize well with my purse (not joking). At one point I was storing my PSK in an Aveda makeup bag, but now I'm back to the red Witz container.

Walmart has some Witz-like containers where the opening is on the long side (instead of the top, making it easier to access) that Izzy reviewed awhile back. They might also be good options for you.

#229904 - 08/16/11 09:18 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL@ Christine and Izzy. I'm with you Christina. I get enough ribbing as it is without inviting it every time I open my purse. (the keychain and waterbottle clipped to it to a fine enough job of that.)

I'll have to check the witz out. Do I go to sports, pharamcy, jewlery or purse section of the store?

Edited by bacpacjac (08/16/11 09:20 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229906 - 08/16/11 10:14 AM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
For me, the altoids tin represents represent a "survival-in-a-tin-can" magical talisman that has no place what so ever in my world. I was exposed to a flawed PSK concept at an early age - and instinctively disliked the idea that a few fishing hooks and a condom stuffed into an incredible tiny amount of space (altoids tin, or worse: Cheap "Rambo" survival knife copy) would somehow assume magical powers and prevent me from freezing to death.

My misinterpretation of the PSK concept doesn't fit the way I think, the way I pack or the way I organize my gear. Not then, not now.

Now, I've adapted and modified the PSK idea to fit my modus operandi. I now consider it a convenient way to carry some backup and emergency items that I would otherwise scatter all over my pockets (and forget the day I really need it). I never go anywhere interesting without it. Still, my clothing, my bivy bag and whatever else that is in my pack is more vital to my survival than the little Doug Ritter pouch that I've modified to my liking.

Somehow, the altoids tin still reminds me of the magical survival talisman concept...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (08/16/11 10:15 AM)

#229913 - 08/16/11 05:11 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i ran this photo awhile ago but for those who missed it here it is again. a reproduction ,with a few of the original items,of my 1958 Boy Scout "lost kit".we were told they were not to be survival kits but just something to tide you over until you were found,which of course would happen with no problem.

since then i never tried again to make up a pocket tin kit.

#229914 - 08/16/11 06:00 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
My list of containers abounds that I've used.
When I first started, I looked in vain for one of those BCB tins that Lefty wrote about in his book.

Since then I've used:
Altoids tins - impossible to keep dry
Plastic Sucrets box - almost as bad but too thick
Zip loc baggies - not durable but replacements are cheap!
Pill box - not 100% waterproof but not bad either
Fishing lure box - not 100% waterproof but not bad either
Bulk film canister (I used to roll my own b&w film from 50' and 100' rolls back in the '70s) - not waterproof and too large for pocket but makes a pretty good boiling container
Lock'n'lock food containers - waterproof but bulky
1040 pelican case - waterproof but very bulky for the volume

and today I use the Ritter PSK pouch. My problem is that after many uses, it doesn't want to stay 100% closed now so either I find a replacement pouch or another container.

#229915 - 08/16/11 06:03 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hey, no problem dropping the Altoid PSK if it works for your circumstances. That's part of the fun!

For me, the Altoid PSK is truly a last ditch, nothing left on me kit. It reproduces nearly all of the 10 essentials. one day I'll have to pull it apart and take pictures, but I'm afraid I won't be able to repack it!

A 2" locking buck, a fauxton light, some tinder, a sparklight, some hurricane matches and striker, a few water purification pills, tin foil, a ziplock bag, a few clothes pins and needles, some fishing line, a few inches of electrical tape, about 20" of orange paracord, a button compass... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Like I wrote in a previous post, I don't carry "survival gear." to me, it's basic camping gear. The PSK is my nod towards the possibility of being seperated from my gear. It stays in my pocket whenever I'm in the woods.

#229917 - 08/16/11 07:16 PM Re: What??? Giving up on the Altiods tin based kit?? [Re: Roarmeister]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
1040 pelican case - waterproof but very bulky for the volume

What did you keep in your Pelican 1040? It must have been a comprehensive kit. The interior dimensions are 6.50" x 3.87" x 1.75".

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.