The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#237499 - 12/17/11 12:31 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
just a comment...at a meeting with the Emergency Management Director of MacDill AFB in Tampa, who was helping us prepare a student service community activity, the topic of flooding came up.. MacDill is pretty low with an elevation of around 14'...he said his great fear was the next two feet (height of a toilet), when the toilets would backup and overflow... something to think about...I know I hadn't

Edited by LesSnyder (12/18/11 09:10 PM)

#237502 - 12/17/11 04:17 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: acropolis5]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Cash ($100-$1000, assorted mostly $1,5,10 & 20s) saves your life in buying a needed taxi ride, hotel room or avioding a mugging. In a blackout, credit cards do not work. An extra, secondary credit card. If you loose your wallet, you'll be much happier with this precaution.

I always have cash on me, enough for a cab ride home at least. I've been avoiding keeping cash or a credit card anywhere that isn't on my person or secured at home. This leaves me vulnerable to loss of my wallet, but makes it easier to prevent cash from being stolen or credit cards from being misused.

Quote:
Some, (4-8), quarters are useful for pay phones (there are still some around), vending machines and parking meters.

I just took the quarters out of my commuter kit. I can't remember seeing any payphones in the last six months, the vending machines all take dollar bills, and if I'm parking I'll have my car kit which includes $5 in quarters. If I'm desperate for something inside a vending machine and it's a life-threatening emergency, I can break the glass to get at it or bust something open that has coins in it.

Quote:
Gloves, heavy leather or lighter Kevlar/Nomex, to protect your hands in a bailout situation. Swim goggles to seal stuff out of your eyes.

Got the gloves. Swim goggles seem excessive to me; the chances I'll be around a survivable incident where sunglasses wouldn't be enough but swim goggles would be seem remote.

Quote:
Color copies of important documents,e.g. driver's license, medical insurance card, credit cards (both sides).

Again, I'm more concerned about identity fraud (happened to me three times in 2011!) versus being totally unable to get access to medical insurance, identity or credit card information. If credit cards are important, chances are that phones will work and I can call American Express -- I've memorized the numbers on my card. The ER will treat me without proof of medical insurance and I can get a fresh card for that easily if I incur medical bills.

It does make sense, however, for me to update the encrypted file on my phone containing the information from my wallet cards. Thank you for the reminder.

Quote:
Duct tape, preferably Gorilla brand, enough to seal an office door, even if you have to split it in half. Commonly used drugs for pain/allergy/etc., along with a 2 day supply of prescrition drugs.

I have duct tape and OTC meds. I'm not currently on any prescriptions.

Quote:
A 4-way silcock key to obtain water from urban spigots with no handles or recessed cocks, albeit a Leatherman may do the trick in a pinch.

A silcock key is a heavy single-use item. My Leatherman is needed for work and does a number of things reasonably well. I've never seen a silcock I couldn't open with it.

Quote:
You're dead wrong on water purification. Urban bugout will have the most polluted water, chemicals, germs, viruses, debris, etc. You need a high quality straw filter or bottle for all of the above.

I can filter particulates with my dust mask, bandanna or the microfiber cloth I carry to keep my laptop screen clean. I can kill bugs with the chlorine dioxide tabs. What straw filter or bottle will reliably filter pollution or chemicals?

Quote:
Cordage, say 25-50ft. of 550 cord.

I'm carrying more like 20 feet of light accessory cord. Fifty feet of 550 cord would take up a lot of room comparatively.

Quote:
For an evac from a train tunnel, sealed high-rise or underground/sealed train station, a MyXcaper Mask filter (teamed with the swim goggles).

The MyXcaper looks like a good piece of kit. I've been avoiding buying one due to cost and space considerations, reasoning that while I do spend quite a bit of time in high-rises they all have multiple stairwells and sprinklers. I'm going to think this one over.

Quote:
Lastly, if you need a truma kit, you really need it. They are a bit of bulk, but very lightweight. Happy thinking and may you never need to use any of this.

I do have a minimalist trauma kit. And I certainly join you in hoping I won't need any of this stuff.

#237507 - 12/17/11 06:32 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Chaosmagnet, I appreciate the consideration you have given to my and other suggestions and I respect your choices . I usually don't argue after the decision is given, but you did end in part with an inquiry about what bottle purifiers can deal with chemical and biological contamination. The answer is : Seychelles Advanced (both bottle and straw), Katadyn Extream XR, Berkey and Sawyer, albeit the last two might also require tablets or bleach. I personally chose both the Seychelles Advanced bottles and straws, as they are the lightest and smallest. In other apps, I've used Katadyn too. Finally, the MyXcaper is fairly small and very light and the five year model is the better value. But, if you need the mask, you'll also need goggles for your eyes. Xcaper has them as a kit, but swim goggles seal better, can be bought with anti fog coating and are cheaper.

#237518 - 12/17/11 07:33 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: acropolis5]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks!

#237527 - 12/17/11 11:12 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just my $0.02, and I have not checked all the responses on this thread. You've certainly got a lot of excellent items, and many look pretty compact. But there is a lot of stuff - it would be worth reducing the quantity of gear.

One idea is to get a small box that holds all this stuff, and then pack only some fraction of it for any specific trip. PILE all the stuff in your "survival box", and then pack only 50% of it for any trip that you are taking. Leave the rest in your survival box at home. You can vary what you take, depending on circumstances.

I'm not a believer in planning for all possible contingencies - it creates too much bulk and weight. I think it's better to be forced to prioritize your choices - those important choices (and mistakes) teach yo how best to prepare.

BTW, three flashlights seems excessive. One good penlight and a back-up micro-light (LED) should be more than effective.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (12/17/11 11:14 PM)

#237555 - 12/18/11 12:56 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
I'm not a believer in planning for all possible contingencies - it creates too much bulk and weight. I think it's better to be forced to prioritize your choices - those important choices (and mistakes) teach yo how best to prepare.

That's certainly what I'm trying to do. Believe me this is much smaller than my car kit! Other than the FAK and the water bottle everything is light and compact, limited in space to two small pockets in my laptop bag. The only component of the FAK I haven't used for myself or a coworker recently is the trauma kit, which is pretty small.

Quote:
BTW, three flashlights seems excessive. One good penlight and a back-up micro-light (LED) should be more than effective.

Recognizing that I'm not entirely rational on the subject, I have the Preon 2 for work, the iTP 1xAAA as my backup flashlight, and the 1xAAA Fenix E01 as either the backup to the iTP, another light I can give away, or the world's most robust battery holder, take your pick.

#237556 - 12/18/11 02:47 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Quote:

Recognizing that I'm not entirely rational on the subject, I have the Preon 2 for work, the iTP 1xAAA as my backup flashlight, and the 1xAAA Fenix E01 as either the backup to the iTP, another light I can give away, or the world's most robust battery holder, take your pick.

I haven't tried it but in Toronto the stations, tunnels and underground city would get pretty dark in a power failure. There's emergency lighting but I'd rather have my own dependable light, especially if that emergency lighting ever failed. Having a light to give away sounds like a very smart idea in those scenarios. (Of course, that's just one more reason I've stopped commuting to TO and why I choose to take my car when I do need to go the big city or anywhere else on the commuter lines.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237616 - 12/20/11 12:52 AM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: Crowe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Crowe
How about a Mini-Prybar

I received mine today. I put it in the BOB kept in my car. The CountyComm Pocket Widgy that was there went into my laptop bag kit. I think I'll get another Mini-Prybar for my wife's BOB.

#237629 - 12/20/11 03:41 AM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I find mini-bars to be very useful items. I have various sizes in my vehicle and smaller ones in my briefcase or pack. I have a nice big one that I keep under the bed for use when the Big One strikes our fair city.

#238451 - 01/02/12 01:34 AM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have to ask if the 4Sevens titanium (God's metal) whistle is worth the $20 bucks over a standard $3 REI whistle?

For example does it not have plastic inserts?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.