Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#237263 - 12/12/11 03:58 PM Commuter Kit
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In April of 2010 (http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post199996) I took on a new job that involves commuting by train. I sought the forum's advice on what I could carry.

To recap, I live in the far suburbs and often take the commuter rail to work in the city center. I'm limited in the weight and bulk of what I can carry. I'm most concerned about a transportation disruption that leaves me stuck on the train overnight or otherwise unable to get home.

The kit has evolved a little bit since I first posted here, this is the current list:

• one liter Nalgene, full of fresh water
  • sesame bars **
  • spare CR123A battery in a plastic wrapper, suitable for my primary EDC flashlight (which is a 4Sevens Quark 123 R5)
  • 4Sevens Prism kit to turn the Quark into a headlamp
  • iTP A3 EOS Upgrade 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Fenix E01 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • Countycomm "split pea" lighter
  • A couple of large paperclips
  • eight Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle in blaze orange
  • A small amount of duct tape
  • Sawyer sunblock with bug repellant spray
  • Dust mask
  • bandanna
  • mechanics gloves
  • Heatsheets 2 person emergency blanket
  • emergency poncho
  • large contractor bag
  • Countycommm "ETFR" small radio with earbuds
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004) **
  • screwdriver with bits in hollow handle **
  • Preon 2 S3 Ti **
  • cable ties **
  • small FAK including Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit
  • sync/charge cables and AC power cube for my iPhone **
  • 2 Ah lithium polymer battery with cables to charge my iPhone or many other devices
  • earplugs **
  • facial tissue **

** indicates something I carry for work that can be pressed into service for emergencies

I don't go outside without my Ritter MiniGrip, iPhone, earbuds, Quark 123, Fisher bullet, wallet, or keys. My key ring has a 4Sevens flat whistle, a Leatherman PS4 and a 4Sevens ReVO on it. I'm very thoughtful about my footwear and outerwear, especially when I'm commuting on the train. In cold weather I always have a hat, gloves and a wool Buff. I keep a small umbrella in my bag at all times, and I'll carry a better one if I'm expecting rain.

It may be excessive to carry two flashlights on my person and three flashlights in my bag. I could get rid of the E01 but it's a perfect spare battery carrier and doesn't weigh much or take up too much space. I figure that I could lend out or give away flashlights if I needed to.

Beyond that, where can I save weight or space? What should I add that I don't already carry?

#237268 - 12/12/11 04:44 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
after a quick glance through the included thread a second look at a couple of suggestions you have already discounted..

filter bottle (like a Sawyer) and nested metal cup

upgrade trauma kit...compression bandage, hemostatic gauze, irrigation syringe, burn dressing

not knowing your location or predisposition..upgrade personal protection

#237269 - 12/12/11 04:46 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That looks like a great setup, and you have clearly put a lot of thought into it. I could suggest a few minor tweaks. I prefer to standardize on one battery type, so that my headlight (PT EOS) can become a battery carrier for my LD01 if necessary. You can get a really rugged battery carier for 123s at CountyComm; I would prefer that to plastic wrap. I would consider a lightweight hooded jacket - my current selection is a Patagonia Houdini, weighing all of 4 oz... I would throw in some lengths of small cordage (braided mason's twine) to expand the utility of the heatsheet and poncho in sheltering, and for other purposes.

Do you have any cash stashed away? That could be useful.

I am intrigued by the similarities between your kit and what I have more haphazardly assembled in my work bag - dustmask, work gloves, split pea lighter, early model Wave, etc.

I also acquired and keep handy CountyComm's midsize EOD breaker bar - literally a sharpened prybar. Haven't had to put it to serious use yet.

#237271 - 12/12/11 05:11 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
filter bottle (like a Sawyer) and nested metal cup

It's possible that I could find a metal cup to nest with my Nalgene. I'm reluctant to add either bottle weight or reduce water capacity by getting a filter bottle, the Potable Aqua tabs are very small and light and can serve the same purpose.

Quote:
upgrade trauma kit...compression bandage, hemostatic gauze, irrigation syringe, burn dressing

My first aid kit is already the single bulkiest piece of preparedness gear in this bag. While the SWAT-T in the Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit isn't the best tourniquet or the best pressure dressing, it can be pressed into service for either purpose. I can create a field-expedient irrigation syringe with one of the ziplocks (one for the FAK, one for sesame bars, one for gum and candy, one for the radio) if I need to. I should add some QuickClot gauze, though.

Quote:
not knowing your location or predisposition..upgrade personal protection

Sunglasses (which I didn't mention), dust mask, and gloves make sense to me. What would you suggest I add?

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I prefer to standardize on one battery type, so that my headlight (PT EOS) can become a battery carrier for my LD01 if necessary.

I've made the decision to mostly use CR123A and 18650 batteries (my 18650 lights will take 2xCR123A at need). The 1xAAA form-factor works better for lights that get stashed in small kits. In my mind the benefits of carrying both outweigh the detriments. I recognize that I'm not 100% rational about flashlights.

Quote:
You can get a really rugged battery carier for 123s at CountyComm; I would prefer that to plastic wrap.

The battery came individually shrinkwrapped. I'll think about getting the CC carrier and adding the bulk. If you're thinking of the Delrin case, I remember thinking that it was too spendy.

Quote:
I would consider a lightweight hooded jacket - my current selection is a Patagonia Houdini, weighing all of 4 oz...

I often carry a rain shell (mine is a packable Columbia) -- it works in a large range of temperatures if I also have a fleece and a hat (and my fleece has a dedicated hat that is always either on my head or in its pocket). It's cold enough now that I'm wearing my parka, so I leave the rain shell behind.

How small does the Houdini pack down? My packable Columbia is almost perfect other than not packing down as small as I'd like.

Quote:
I would throw in some lengths of small cordage (braided mason's twine) to expand the utility of the heatsheet and poncho in sheltering, and for other purposes.

Yes! Cordage is an area where I could do better. The Fox 40 comes with a thin neck lanyard but it's too short. I have some caustic green accessory cord that would work well for this.

Quote:
Do you have any cash stashed away? That could be useful.

I always have at least two hundred dollars in cash. I've been avoiding stashing cash in my laptop bag, but it might make sense for me to start.

Quote:
I am intrigued by the similarities between your kit and what I have more haphazardly assembled in my work bag - dustmask, work gloves, split pea lighter, early model Wave, etc.

Great minds think alike :-).

Quote:
I also acquired and keep handy CountyComm's midsize EOD breaker bar - literally a sharpened prybar. Haven't had to put it to serious use yet.

I have a full size breacher bar in my BOB (in my car), but not in my laptop bag. I don't think I can afford one that's big enough to be useful yet light enough to be worth the weight. I've seen some cool-looking titanium wrecking bars but I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight even if I could afford one right now.

#237277 - 12/12/11 05:49 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Not sure if your iPhone will do it in a pinch, but unless you're already very well acquainted with the entire train route, a map of the area could be useful. If the train is stopped somewhere and the passengers are allowed to get off to stretch their legs, you might decide to ask a friend to pick you up at a nearby crossroads or highway exit. You could add certain assets along the train route to the map--motels, supermarkets, malls, alternate public transit, 24-hour restaurants, etc. in case the train will be stuck for a long time.

#237279 - 12/12/11 05:59 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The Houdini packs down in its integral pocket to just slightly larger than a male's clenched fist - thus it always sits in my bag, ready if needed.

I have long carried such an item in various packs. I haven't always needed to use it of course, but when I did, a light hooded jacket to blunt the unanticipated wind and rain was really welcome.

You could also reduce bottle weight by substituting a recycled Gatorade (or equivalent) bottle for the Nalgene. I use both and find the recycled bottles just as tough as useful. You do reduce water volume about 5% (quart vs liter) but knock off about 2 or three ounces in weight. Another possibility would be a Platypus one liter water bottle. It can be rolled up when not in use.

I like the idea of a nested cup. For six bucks, you can get a stainless steel cup that is a perfect fit. For forty dollars, get a Snow peak 700, also a perfect fit and lighter. I'll bet that if you look around, you can recycle a tin can for free...

Edited by hikermor (12/12/11 06:08 PM)

#237280 - 12/12/11 06:03 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Paper maps of this are either insufficiently detailed or too bulky, or both. The Google Maps app on my iPhone is outstanding -- as long as there's data connectivity. I also have iTopomaps on my phone, and I have all the quads for the local area downloaded. Since I know the area extremely well and I'm confident in my ability to navigate without any aids, my decision has been to not carry a paper map.

It's a compromise. On the train and on foot I can't carry all the gear that I have in my car all the time. Heck, I can't carry everything in my car that I have at home.

#237283 - 12/12/11 06:46 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for personal protection I was thinking more along the lines of a firearm, or less lethal... telescoping baton, chemical spray (OC CN CS)..slungshot

#237284 - 12/12/11 06:50 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
for personal protection I was thinking more along the lines of a firearm, or less lethal... telescoping baton, chemical spray (OC CN CS)..slungshot

Gotcha. I carry concealed everywhere that I can do so legally. I carry a Kimber PepperBlaster II in places that I can't bring my pistol.

#237310 - 12/13/11 12:14 AM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The Houdini packs down in its integral pocket to just slightly larger than a male's clenched fist - thus it always sits in my bag, ready if needed.

I'll have to see if I can get one on sale.

Quote:
You could also reduce bottle weight by substituting a recycled Gatorade (or equivalent) bottle for the Nalgene.

My Nalgene fits in the carrier, and I don't think a Gatorade bottle would.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.