Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237646 - 12/20/11 09:24 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I'm in one of those situations where it's really hot in car in the summer and pretty darn cold in the winter too... does anybody know if a basic unpowered cooler (with no ice in it) would insulate enough to be a sufficient buffer for the extremes in temperature, or if it's better to schlep the food to and from the vehicle every day?

#237647 - 12/20/11 09:55 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Burncycle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Burncycle
I'm in one of those situations where it's really hot in car in the summer and pretty darn cold in the winter too... does anybody know if a basic unpowered cooler (with no ice in it) would insulate enough to be a sufficient buffer for the extremes in temperature, or if it's better to schlep the food to and from the vehicle every day?

It depends on the food. I wouldn't try to store anything that wasn't reasonably shelf-stable to begin with. With a good cooler and cold packs you could expect eight hours or more of reasonable temperatures inside a car trunk.

#237650 - 12/21/11 01:31 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Burncycle]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Burncycle

Temp range where I live is -30F to +100F. In winter, I keep only dry food in the car. I bring water with me in the morning, and take it out when I get home at night. In summer I leave emergency water in the trunk in metal bottles.

#237655 - 12/21/11 03:20 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A cooler will help dampen the peaks and valleys of temperature. IMO it's worth doing. But extreme heat will generally reduce shelf life.

My always-in-car food stash is pretty barbaric: about 2 kg (4.5 lb) of cheapo peanut butter. Fat, protein, salt, and simple carbs. I can usually get water and fuel from the places I go to, but ready calories are hard to come by.

I think the current batch of PB is the wally-world house brand. I keep it factory sealed and under temperature-reducing cover, but I don't baby it. Nobody will break into that stuff unless they're really hungry. I get about 2 years' trunk (shelf) life, based on tests. After that it turns into dog treats.

When I'm on a long drive, I add stuff that's a little more edible, jerky+crackers+cheese+gorp, if only to avoid the obscene price hike in mountain resorts.

#237658 - 12/21/11 04:45 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: dougwalkabout]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Thanks for the replies, that's about what I thought. I think I will invest in a cooler

#237668 - 12/21/11 10:32 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Burncycle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I generally have various canned items rattling around in the vehicle, along with a good supply of water bottles. I pull them out and consume them every six months or so, stocking with fresh items. I don't bother with a cooler.

#237708 - 12/21/11 08:41 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Do you have a food kit in your vehicle(s) or looked at it lately?

......Earl Grey (double bergamot) tea bags and honey sticks. And a few morale-lifting mini-Milky Ways....

Gotta love the morale boosting of a nice Earl Grey tea.. My prefernce is Tazo Earl grey and comes right under air on my priority list..

I keep about 30 gallons of water, a fe Mountain House meals, misc dry snacks, peanut butter, and a few cans of Tuna (plus paper plates and can opener) in the tote box in the back of the CRV. The tote also carries other car prep item like Tarp shelter, fire kits flare, et.........

#237709 - 12/21/11 08:48 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Diosces]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...I keep about 30 gallons of water ... in the tote box in the back of the CRV
Must be a big tote box. wink

I keep a 3 gal jug of water in the back of my truck.

#237715 - 12/21/11 09:52 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Russ]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Russ
Quote:
...I keep about 30 gallons of water ... in the tote box in the back of the CRV
Must be a big tote box. wink

I keep a 3 gal jug of water in the back of my truck.

I will re-confirm quanities might be more like 20-25 gallons. Some containers are in the large tote box and some are secured strung thru their handles with bungies to tie down points.

These are all thoroughly cleaned 3 liter Ocean Spray containers with very beefy handles. The conatainers are very thick walled and high quality. I'll post a picture...

#237726 - 12/21/11 10:18 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Diosces]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That's over 200 pounds (100 kilos) of water. It will be while before you are thirsty. How's your gas mileage?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.