Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#237427 - 12/16/11 12:55 AM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: Paul810]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The walking kit in my truck is built on a Camelbak Rim Runner and can carry more than a kilo, but won't let me carry too much. It has a 100 oz bladder that I leave dry.

When needed I'll fill the pack and bladder from resources/water stored/rotated in the truck kit. Those bladders can get funky when wet. The things that are in the pack now (MSR Pocket Rocket, Ti & SS pots/cups, water filter et al) are part of the 96 hr system. What goes for a walk will be determined in the moment based on conditions and weather. I figure on a max of 15 pounds.

#237438 - 12/16/11 11:31 AM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: Paul810]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Under 1 kilo without food and water can definitely be done, depending on your expectations for the pack.

The little pack I use for short day hikes/trail-running weighs 4lbs 11 ounces with water and snacks, without water it weighs under 2lbs. I started with a Camelbak Hydrobak, which holds 1.5L of water. Then I added the following:

-2 Cliff bars
-1 packet of peanut butter

-Princeton Tec headlamp (no strap, mounted on the pack's own strap)

On a mini quick-link attached to outside of pack:
-BSA Hotspark
-Fox 40 Micro whistle
-Leatherman Style PS [replaced the scissors for a knife blade]

Plastic ziploc bag with:
-Disposable poncho
-Coffee filters
-brightly colored bandana
-Spare headlamp batteries
-moleskin
-package of tissues
-MP-1 water purification tablets
-small plastic signal mirror

It's not exactly an over-night bag, but it's small and light enough that I don't even notice I'm wearing it. Therefore, I've got no excuse not to have these basic supplies with me, even if I'm just going for a short walk in familiar territory.

What do you do with the coffee filters?

#237439 - 12/16/11 11:47 AM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I use and recommend the Kelty Oriole in summer and winter. The lumbar pack has a large belt and multiple compression straps that you can pull tight to center and stabilize the load. I tend to pack heavy, and this lumbar pack hauls it all. The outside mesh pockets will each hold a 16oz water bottle. I have the grey one, and my wife has the blue. When looking for a picture to post here, I found a website that has them on sale...no affiliation. http://www.bobwards.com/KELTY-Oriole-Waist-Pack-49952

#237440 - 12/16/11 12:16 PM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm not sure what he does with coffee filters but they're near-universally recommended for the initial straining of water prior to sterilization. I'm aware of the fact that most of the people that include coffee filters have probably not tried them for that purpose; a few people say they don't work at all. I admit that some of my kits include them and I'm embarrassed to admit I've not tried them, either. I'm researching better pre-filters and waiting for better weather.

#237441 - 12/16/11 01:42 PM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Phaedrus... there are a couple of pretty good videos on the net with DIY filters ... PVC pipe, fibrous material, and activated aquarium charcoal...

the Sawyer double bag system is pretty slick if you have the room..the 'gray' bag is always non potable and can be submerged with a pre filter

#238079 - 12/27/11 11:56 PM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The boy didn't want to pose with his but the girl did

#238084 - 12/28/11 02:15 AM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

My current dogwalking/bikejoring around town (and on the C&O Canal) pack of choice is an old Camelbak H.A.W.G.

I'm not using a bladder in it during the fall-winter-spring and am instead using that space for a Becker-Necker, chemical hand warmers and other items. In the outside middle expandable pocket I'm carrying a 32oz Nalgene canteen for my pup's water.

I have quite a lot of stuff in it - including MoJo bars, First Aid, the usual survival PSK stuff, Esbit pocket stove, titanium sierra cup.

I like the HAWG very much - for its durability, pockets and the carry handle on top.

#238085 - 12/28/11 02:20 AM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eugene
The boy didn't want to pose with his but the girl did

That's just awesome!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238100 - 12/28/11 03:41 PM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now I'm trying to figure out whats the safe temperature/age range for winter hikes smile
I took a new position at work so I'm no lonmger working every weekend so now I have the time to go out some.

#238106 - 12/28/11 04:12 PM Re: Camelbak based kit (or any small hydration pack) [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Now I'm trying to figure out whats the safe temperature/age range for winter hikes smile
I took a new position at work so I'm no lonmger working every weekend so now I have the time to go out some.

For our Beaver and Cub Scouts (5-10 y.o.) our group stops outdoor excursions at -10C or if it's below zero and raining. (Some parents find that too cold and don't bring their kids to those outtings, partly I'm sure because we encourage parents to hike/snowshow/toboggan with us.)The reasoning for that cut-off point is equal parts liability and enjoyment.

Personal Example: There was a cold rain (below 0C) here yesterday morning when my 8 y.o. and I started our hour long hike through the forest to the beach. The temp continued to drop and the rain got worse. We were dressed appropriately but his gloves got wet, as kids gloves usually do when they toss them on the wet and windy beach instead of stowing them safely in their packs so they can better explore everything they see. (Despite mom's request and warning.) His hands got pretty cold ("Mom, I think I have frostbite") and he shed some tears when he realized that gloves were pretty useless as they started to freeze with ice and sand. I reminded him of the extra dry pair in his pack and it didn't take long for the smiles to come back as we hiked home through our first real snowfall of the year. Important lesson learned (and prepared for!) but not something I can do with my little Scouts, and not something I'd do if we weren't adequately prepared with extra clothes, pocket warmers, etc.

Edited by bacpacjac (12/28/11 04:19 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.