Topic Options
#237340 - 12/13/11 06:41 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The Houdini packs down in its integral pocket to just slightly larger than a male's clenched fist - thus it always sits in my bag, ready if needed.

I'll have to see if I can get one on sale.

Almost as compact, and somewhat more sturdy, is the Marmot PreCip jacket. I have seen those on sale at Sierra Trading Post for around $60. Hard to get anything decent any cheaper than that. The PreCip has worked very well for me - I wear it regularly when cycling in wet weather.

Edited by hikermor (12/13/11 08:20 PM)

#237341 - 12/13/11 07:40 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
That's a lot easier to swallow! Thanks hikermor!

#237377 - 12/14/11 05:53 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
How about eye protection?

#237381 - 12/14/11 07:43 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: KI6IW]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KI6IW
How about eye protection?

Sunglasses? I've ordered a spare pair of prescription glasses to go with the spare contact lenses.

#237382 - 12/14/11 07:46 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Almost as compact, and somewhat more sturdy, is the Marmot PreCip jacket. I have seen those on sale at Sierra Trading Post for around $60. Hard to get anything decent any cheaper than that. The PreCip has worked very well for me - I wear it regularly when cycling in wet weather.

Always grateful for an excuse to get over to REI, I tried on the PreCip today. I liked it too. However it doesn't pack up that much smaller than my Columbia rain shell. The Houdini isn't waterproof, it's "water resistant". I've decided to stick with what I got. I can fit my rain shell and a fleece jacket in my laptop bag and be comfortable in a wide variety of weather conditions.

#237384 - 12/14/11 08:16 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Just a different angle we might brainstorm. I guess it sort of falls in between being stuck on the train and your office BIB thread.

One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train. I think this situation is more likely than actually getting stuck on a train for an extended time. Perhaps inclement weather, like Snowmaggedon, stops all train service rather suddenly, and also makes it difficult/impractical to get back to your office (I have no idea how far your office is from the station).

So, either sacking out at the station for the night or finding shelter somewhere near the station could be another scenario to throw out there. I have no idea if "station" means something like NY's Grand Central or basically just a covered platform in an out-of-the-way, industrial part of town, so there's a lot we can't really assume without more details.

You should do all right with what you have. Just trying to think of any additional new contingencies that would be prudent to mull over.

#237385 - 12/14/11 09:12 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: Arney]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Arney
One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train.

Really great point Arney. Around here, most stations connect to some sort of building larger than just a covered shelter but it could get very crowed depending on the time of day. Shelter takes on more importance if you're thinking about a winter storm scenario.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237386 - 12/14/11 09:16 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

A prybar of some type makes sense to me for a train kit, doors might get stuck/jammed/unpowered.

How about a Mini-Prybar or a Nail Puller ?

A N95 mask would be good to pack, as would some swimming goggles (for dust), but you have a bandana and sunglasses, so should be okay

Some thoughts,

Crowe

Edited by Crowe (12/14/11 09:17 PM)

#237388 - 12/14/11 11:32 PM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Arney
One likely scenario where you might need to use some of your kit is if you get stuck at the train station before you ever get on the train.

This is an excellent point.

Our new office is about two blocks from the train station. It seems doubtful that I could walk to the train station but not be able to walk back -- and my keycard is good for after-hours access. The keycard system is on a UPS so I would presumably be able to get in and out for at least the first few hours of a power outage.

I'm originally from New York City and I know Grand Central well. I can say that my station is closer to Grand Central than to a covered platform.

Originally Posted By: Crowe
A prybar of some type makes sense to me for a train kit, doors might get stuck/jammed/unpowered.

How about a Mini-Prybar or a Nail Puller ?

I've previously been of the opinion that I couldn't afford the weight or space for a prybar big enough to be useful, and that I couldn't afford the cost for a titanium bar. I do carry a Leatherman Wave as well as a very strong screwdriver, both of which can be used for some degree of prying, especially together.

However, that Vaughan-Bushnell Mini-Prybar looks quite appetizing. It's light and big enough to be useful. It's cheap enough for me to throw one in my next Amazon order and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

I have a couple of Nail Pullers, and I'm not convinced they'd be worth the weight -- they're heavier than the Mini-Prybar and not shaped as well.

Quote:
A N95 mask would be good to pack, as would some swimming goggles (for dust), but you have a bandana and sunglasses, so should be okay

I do have an N95 mask. Hopefully my sunglasses would suffice for any dust.

#237390 - 12/15/11 12:05 AM Re: Commuter Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 5.5" Vaughn may be small, but the 7.5" Stanley is much more capable IMO.

The Stanley is still relatively small; the claw is roughly the same length as the Vaughn, but the Stanley is ~twice the width and a tad thicker stock. If you can fit a 7.5" length, go for the Stanley.

I have both and the 5.5" Vaughn is light duty. I'm not sure how much use it would be opening elevator or subway doors. $.02

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.