Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237297 - 12/12/11 10:08 PM My office BIB
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The title of this thread is not misspelled! My employer has moved offices, and I now have a desk of my own with a medium-size drawer I can dedicate to a Bug In Bag. I can't spend a lot of money, take up more than about one drawer, or bring in anything that will cause me difficulty with my employers, but I can store a few things to make an overnight in the office more pleasant.

The assumptions I'm making are that I won't have my car with the large kit I keep in it, but that I would have access to the office and the minimal kit I keep in my laptop bag.

My thoughts are to have:

• Eight 1/2 liter bottles of water
  • Sesame bars
  • Spare contact lenses, with solution and a case
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Sweatpants, sweatshirt, T-shirt socks and underwear

The office has a kitchen with snacks in it, and a decent first aid kit. I'm weighing whether I should add a pair of sneakers or other shoes.

What should I add?

#237299 - 12/12/11 10:22 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Why wouldn't you have access to your car kit? You don't drive to work?

In winter I'd have a few chemical hand warmers in there.

I'd rather have extra glasses than contacts (especially if they are daily disposables).

Ear plugs (your office mates may snore, etc.)

Blinders (so your office mates can have lights on if they want)

Sore throat lozenges, Lipton Cup o' Noodles packets.

Fleece socks. Deoderant

Cards for playing poker

#237300 - 12/12/11 10:34 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm -- Why 1/2 liter bottles of water? Is there a more space efficient size to store 4 liters (~1 gallon)?

For why would you be bugging in? Winter snowstorm? Hurricane? Major flood? Do you expect the power to stay on?

If the office has a real stove, keeping real food may also be something worth considering. For bugging in I always think about not having to resort to MRE's and snack-bars. Is the tap-water drinkable? Would it be drinkable with a water filter?

Is there a couch to catch some Z's?

Also, don't forget all the ingredients for a great cup of coffee and tea. This you should be able to keep in the kitchen.

#237301 - 12/12/11 10:41 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Bacpacjac recently started an office prep thread recently and as I recall, there were some good ideas in there that may interest you.

John Lubbock

#237302 - 12/12/11 11:03 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: Dagny]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Why wouldn't you have access to your car kit? You don't drive to work?

Normally I take the train. If I have access to my car kit the gear in my laptop bag and office drawer will be irrelevant, or extras for coworkers.

Quote:
In winter I'd have a few chemical hand warmers in there.

Good idea.

Quote:
I'd rather have extra glasses than contacts (especially if they are daily disposables).

I usually get 3-4 weeks out of a pair of disposable contacts. I have been looking for reader-style optical frames for spare glasses.

Quote:
Ear plugs (your office mates may snore, etc.)

I carry these for work.

Quote:
Blinders (so your office mates can have lights on if they want)

I find it easier to sleep with the lights on than with blinders.

Quote:
Sore throat lozenges, Lipton Cup o' Noodles packets.

Lozenges are in the kitchen FAK, along with coffee, tea, hot cocoa and the like. Some instant soup is a GREAT idea.

Quote:
Fleece socks. Deoderant

I might have a pair of heavy wool socks for this. Deoderant should have been on my list.

Quote:
Cards for playing poker

Another excellent idea.

Also, I want to add a candle to help warm up the small conference room I'm eyeing as my temporary bedroom.

#237303 - 12/12/11 11:18 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: Russ]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Hmmm -- Why 1/2 liter bottles of water? Is there a more space efficient size to store 4 liters (~1 gallon)?

That's how they come from Costco. They're easy to bring a few with me at a time on the train as I'm stocking up. They fit very nicely in the drawer.

Quote:
For why would you be bugging in? Winter snowstorm? Hurricane? Major flood? Do you expect the power to stay on?

Winter snowstorm is the most likely bug in scenario, followed by flooding. I'd like to be ready for the power to be out.

Quote:
If the office has a real stove, keeping real food may also be something worth considering. For bugging in I always think about not having to resort to MRE's and snack-bars. Is the tap-water drinkable? Would it be drinkable with a water filter?

The tap water is good unfiltered but I'd like to be ready for it to be unavailable. I think I'll add a First Strike Ration (no, the military version isn't legal to sell, mine are a forum special from mreinfo.com). It's got some tasty grub in it.

Quote:
Is there a couch to catch some Z's?

A few.

Quote:
Also, don't forget all the ingredients for a great cup of coffee and tea. This you should be able to keep in the kitchen.

I don't drink coffee but I love our selection of teas.

#237305 - 12/12/11 11:34 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: Teslinhiker]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Bacpacjac recently started an office prep thread recently and as I recall, there were some good ideas in there that may interest you.

I read that thread again. Her situation is a bit different than mine -- she's anticipating at least a few nights being likely, where I'm looking at one night being very unlikely but possible. I also have much more limited storage and the need to look and act Socially Acceptable in the corporate environment.

I could stash a small pry bar, though, and not get killed by the weight like I would be in my laptop bag.

Edited by chaosmagnet (12/13/11 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: that's what I get for posting from my phone

#237306 - 12/13/11 12:01 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Okay -- winter storm -- Consider instead of "Sweatpants, sweatshirt" you include fleece pants and an appropriate fleece top (half zip, et al).
Disclaimer: I am a member of REI, but There are lots of other good, better places to get poly fleece & wool.

Bugging in during winter with the power off, cotton or even cotton-poly sweats just don't cut it. Fleece and wool.

#237307 - 12/13/11 12:05 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Do you have a decent flashlight & multi-tool available or are those non-grata in this environment?

#237308 - 12/13/11 12:08 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: Russ]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Bugging in during winter with the power off, cotton or even cotton-poly sweats just don't cut it. Fleece and wool.

I deliberately left a hooded sweatshirt at work today as part of my incremental kit building strategy. I do have a spare fleece jacket -- I'll swap them out next time I go in.

Fleece pants are tougher, as I don't own any. I'll cast about and see if I can find some that aren't too expensive. What I'd like to do is bite the bullet and buy another set of UA Charged Cotton Storm sweats -- that stuff is amazingly comfy, warm, and it sheds water like you wouldn't believe.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.