Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237326 - 12/13/11 02:09 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: Lono]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Lono
You folks all prepare like you have never slept in your office, for work I mean. I'm not sure who to pity. My office is more like my dorm room, I sleep there less and less these days but I do so much business on South African or Moscow or Kalcotta time zones, and acquisitions etc, its already fit out as if I need to stay there over night, or longer if necessary.

Our new office is definitely not set up like that.

#237327 - 12/13/11 02:18 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
closed cell foam or self inflating sleeping pad

Way too big for my drawer. It's either one of the couches or the floor for me.

Quote:
poncho liner

This is bulky and I'm not sure what good it would do me, especially considering that I do have a Heatsheets in my laptop bag.

Quote:
chem lights

I'm not a big fan of these. I do have flashlights and I know where our office manager stashes the batteries.

Quote:
3 wick emergency heater/candle (shoe polish type tin)

Added to my list.

Quote:
with extra 1# of paraffin with metal cup or billie,

I'm thinking that I can get away with a metal cup nested with my Nalgene.

Quote:
Bic lighter

Definitely.

Quote:
cocoa powder, ramen cup of soup, hard candy

I've added the soup to my list, and the other things are available in the kitchen.

Quote:
toilet paper

Our bathrooms are well-stocked and I do carry facial tissue.

Quote:
baby wipes

Definitely!

Quote:
battery powered charger for cell

I have one in my laptop bag and I recharge it regularly.

Quote:
wool watch cap or balaclava
ski gloves

I'm very thoughtful about outerwear, especially riding the train. I've got both a good hat and a wool Buff along with warm gloves.

#237328 - 12/13/11 02:22 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Lono
You folks all prepare like you have never slept in your office, for work I mean. I'm not sure who to pity. My office is more like my dorm room, I sleep there less and less these days but I do so much business on South African or Moscow or Kalcotta time zones, and acquisitions etc, its already fit out as if I need to stay there over night, or longer if necessary.

Our new office is definitely not set up like that.

Mine either Chaos. We've got the bare necessities here, and even less than that. No couches, no stove, not even a first aid kit when I started. (We've got a good one now.) We've got a fridge/freezer, a microwave, an electric kettle, some warehouse shelving and a coat rack. I don't even have drawers in my desk. There are a few drawers elsewhere that I can sneak some stuff into but I'm mostly religated to a backpack under my desk, the top of my CPU and my desk top, a small set of drawers in the ladies room, fridge/freezer and a bit of space under the kitchen sink.

I think I've got the edge over you in terms of being without much corporate red tape or social BS and being able to keep a backpack under my desk and a jacket on my chair without any worries.

A single drawer would be tough for me. (I'm a chronic overpacker.) Check the second hand stores for used things like sleeping bag liners, thermals, etc. You can often find great deals there.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237329 - 12/13/11 02:28 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Can you use any of the kitchen space? We've got a very small office team so I get my own drawer in the fridge but this may not be practical for you. (I keep some water, packs of tuna & crackers fruit salad and microwavable rice in there, and have some frozen meals in the freezer.) I also snuck in a few cans of pasta, soup and some water under the counter. I don't want to look like I'm stocking for aramageddon so I don't keep more than a few days worth of food in the kitchen.

We've always got lots of fixings for coffee, tea and hot chocolate in there and we do a pot luck lunch every month so there's always extras floating around as well.

#237330 - 12/13/11 02:34 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Can you use any of the kitchen space?

Anything left in the kitchen is going to get et. The only exception would be labelled things in the 'fridge, which have to be cleaned out every week. Thankfully I'm not in the office enough to keep anything in there.

We have plenty of food and hot-drink-makings at all times. Our kitchen's weaknesses are an electric stovetop and no stored water.

An FSR in my drawer will take care of any reasonable food requirement for a day, and could easily be stretched to two or three days if I keep activity to a minimum. That's without hitting the multitude of snack bars and pogey bait stocked in the kitchen.

#237331 - 12/13/11 02:44 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One word of warning about relying on the corporate kitchen or the bathroom supplies. Just because it's generally available today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow, especially in an emergency if you've got coworkers to compete for resources. Keep on eye on it and restock if you can/need to or let the powers that be know that it's time.

#237332 - 12/13/11 02:49 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
One word of warning about relying on the corporate kitchen or the bathroom supplies. Just because it's generally available today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow, especially in an emergency if you've got coworkers to compete for resources. Keep on eye on it and restock if you can/need to or let the powers that be know that it's time.

An excellent point. Our office manager has done a great job of keeping up with demand in recent months, but I really don't know how it will go with the new building and bathroom supplies.

#237335 - 12/13/11 04:29 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a pretty slick and simple water storage idea is to just use a 5gal water cooler refill bottle from a Sams/Costco even if you don't have the cooler...usually around $6 + a $6 deposit which is cheaper than some of the blue water cans alone...easily sets on the floor, readily identifiable... more better with a pump.. several used by friends during hurricane season...

chaosmagnet.. the Esbit, trioxane bar Tommy cooker stoves are cleaner burning than the paraffin stoves (less soot) but don't give off the light..

#237336 - 12/13/11 04:44 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
a pretty slick and simple water storage idea is to just use a 5gal water cooler refill bottle from a Sams/Costco even if you don't have the cooler...usually around $6 + a $6 deposit which is cheaper than some of the blue water cans alone...easily sets on the floor, readily identifiable... more better with a pump.. several used by friends during hurricane season...

That might work well for me at home but is definitely too bulky for the office.

Quote:
chaosmagnet.. the Esbit, trioxane bar Tommy cooker stoves are cleaner burning than the paraffin stoves (less soot) but don't give off the light..

One of the Esbit emergency stoves might be just the trick. I'm wondering whether my 3-wick emergency candle might not be used to heat drinks though.

Edited by chaosmagnet (12/13/11 04:44 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#237343 - 12/13/11 08:14 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: NightHiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

This here is the candle I'd use: http://www.countycomm.com/candle.html . Pity it's discontinued. I'd be using a metal cup and expecting "warm" or possibly "hot" but not boiling.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.