Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237309 - 12/13/11 12:10 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
Do you have a decent flashlight & multi-tool available or are those non-grata in this environment?

I have two flashlights and a Leatherman PS4 on me at all times. My laptop bag has three flashlights (yeah, too many, I know) and a Leatherman Wave in it. One of my assumptions is that my laptop bag will be available.

#237313 - 12/13/11 03:49 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I deliberately left a hooded sweatshirt at work today as part of my incremental kit building strategy.

If your desk is yours, it's a great idea to take advantage of things like your chair real estate. Keeping a sweater or fleece jacket there won't take up space or attract unwanted attention. Then you can use the pockets and sleeves as storage. A hat and pair of mitts in one sleeve, a pair of wool socks in another, a flashlight and whistle in a pocket, a heat sheet in another, etc... You might even consider a sweater/extra t-shirt, with a fleece jacket on top of that. (i.e. I keep a company t-shirt on my chair with my extra fleece.)

Likewise if your CPU is under your desk, it's a nice spot to keep a box of bars, oatmeal or the like. 1 box won't look cluttered or draw attention if it's something boringly health concious like oatmeal or fibre 1 bars.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237314 - 12/13/11 03:55 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Sadly my chair is frequently taken for nefarious purposes in my absence. And there's no CPU on the floor, my laptop is always with me. I'm stuck with what I can secure in a drawer.

#237315 - 12/13/11 04:11 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Sadly my chair is frequently taken for nefarious purposes in my absence. And there's no CPU on the floor, my laptop is always with me. I'm stuck with what I can secure in a drawer.

Well, poppycock. That does make it tricker, doesn't it? Is your hoodie in that drawer or somewhere else?

When I think of my BIB for the office in the winter, my priorities are warmth, water, light, food, hygene and general comfort. That could be a lot for one desk drawer so you need small space stuff. You're off to a great start and there are excellent suggestions here. (i.e. Extra shoes might not work but maybe an extra pair of heavy socks that you could wear like slippers?)

Edited by bacpacjac (12/13/11 04:19 AM)

#237316 - 12/13/11 04:30 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about a pillow case? You could stuff a jacket/sweater/other extra clothes in it to make pillow. Takes up little space and could help youu get some shut-eye.

A sleeping bag liner? They stuff down pretty small and could make sleeping more comfy, or give you the makings of a privacy sheet.

MRE heater or some other way to heat liquids if the power goes out?

Small LED lantern? The buiiding I used to work in got mighty dark at midnight when the lights really went off.

Small battery powered radio?

High fat snacks to help you fill up and stay warm at night?

Thermos of hot tea/coffee/chocolate on your desk throughout the day?

#237317 - 12/13/11 04:31 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
You folks all prepare like you have never slept in your office, for work I mean. I'm not sure who to pity. My office is more like my dorm room, I sleep there less and less these days but I do so much business on South African or Moscow or Kalcotta time zones, and acquisitions etc, its already fit out as if I need to stay there over night, or longer if necessary.

#237320 - 12/13/11 05:25 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
closed cell foam or self inflating sleeping pad
poncho liner
chem lights
3 wick emergency heater/candle (shoe polish type tin) with extra 1# of paraffin with metal cup or billie, Bic lighter
cocoa powder, ramen cup of soup, hard candy
toilet paper
baby wipes
battery powered charger for cell
wool watch cap or balaclava
ski gloves

Edited by LesSnyder (12/13/11 05:34 AM)

#237321 - 12/13/11 11:16 AM Re: My office BIB [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Lono
You folks all prepare like you have never slept in your office, for work I mean. I'm not sure who to pity. My office is more like my dorm room, I sleep there less and less these days but I do so much business on South African or Moscow or Kalcotta time zones, and acquisitions etc, its already fit out as if I need to stay there over night, or longer if necessary.

I never have, Lono. Share the learnings - please.

#237323 - 12/13/11 12:51 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
When I think of my BIB for the office in the winter, my priorities are warmth, water, light, food, hygene and general comfort. That could be a lot for one desk drawer so you need small space stuff. You're off to a great start and there are excellent suggestions here. (i.e. Extra shoes might not work but maybe an extra pair of heavy socks that you could wear like slippers?)

Yeah, I dropped the hoody into my drawer. I've got the heavy socks on my "to be added" list. I'd love to find a way to leave some boots, but that doesn't seem likely based on space or expense.

#237324 - 12/13/11 12:56 PM Re: My office BIB [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
How about a pillow case? You could stuff a jacket/sweater/other extra clothes in it to make pillow. Takes up little space and could help youu get some shut-eye.

I think I'll pick a bag that will serve this duty.

Quote:
A sleeping bag liner? They stuff down pretty small and could make sleeping more comfy, or give you the makings of a privacy sheet.

If I can find one that isn't too expensive that's a very good idea.

Quote:
MRE heater or some other way to heat liquids if the power goes out?

This is the biggest weakness of the kit as it stands, in my thinking. What I haven't figured out is how to fix this without violating cost and corporate standards.

Quote:
Small LED lantern? The buiiding I used to work in got mighty dark at midnight when the lights really went off.

I am well equipped with flashlights, and I can rig something to tail-stand them.

Quote:
Small battery powered radio?

In my laptop bag.

Quote:
High fat snacks to help you fill up and stay warm at night?

Hmm. I've got snacks high in carbs, but not as much fat. I'll noodle this one.

Quote:
Thermos of hot tea/coffee/chocolate on your desk throughout the day?

This one I'll have to live without. If only our stove were gas-fired!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.