Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237066 - 12/09/11 02:19 AM Hiking Staffs
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Denis showed far more discretion than many of us, including myself, often show - refusing to "hijack the hijack" of a thread (tip up carry) by getting into a discussion of the merits of various types and varieties of hiking staffs. So here is that thread.

I have used one type or another of hiking staff for well over twenty-five years when hiking and climbing and I have found them very useful, depending upon the particular circumstances.

I have used everything from a slightly modified shovel handle to a set of Leki collapsible poles that cost around ninety bucks. I could probably open a hiking staff museum with the stuff I have lying around.

Best potential weapon - the 6' shovel handle - basically the classical quarter staff.

Most versatile - the top of the line collapsible pole. It can be easily collapsed and stowed away in the pack if it gets in the way, as when doing technical routes.

What has been your experience with hiking staffs? Which is the very best?

We could probably do a similar thread on canoe paddles for our northern friends.....

#237075 - 12/09/11 05:23 AM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
Leo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
I got a pair of fiberglass? ski poles from a yard sale. They came with a pair of skis that I used to make a dog sled. I cut the basket off of one pole for summer use and use the other in snow time. I guess they are about armpit height and seem to be the right length for me.
leo

#237077 - 12/09/11 06:10 AM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I haven't used a variety of styles, but as I mentioned I find my simple wooden staff to be very useful. I use a staff that's just a couple inches shorter than I am and is around 1" in diameter (a bit more at the top, a bit less at the bottom).

I find one of the biggest advantages to the simple staff is the fact that there isn't a dedicated hand grip area; the length of the staff between the ground and your hand is infinitely variable without having to do anything other than shift the position of your hand.

There are many situations - crossing a fast stream, walking along a narrow board-walk or a narrow path across a steep grade, going up or down a steep hill - where holding staff somewhere other than the position you'd normally hold for hiking along a flat trail is advantageous.

Similarly, I've used it to help other people up a step grade by holding on to one end and getting them to grab the other so I could pull them up.

I think it's in these type of situations that the staff shines; that and when you & a buddy are crossing a stream and get to recreate the Little John v. Robin Hood scene smile.

While I had been considering something collapsible that I could stow away if I wanted to and would be easier to transport in a full vehicle, the above reasons make me think my no-cost wooden staff is worth sticking with.

#237078 - 12/09/11 06:36 AM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A nice length of sturdy hardwood for a staff or walking stick is a Real good Idea when one is out galavanting the bush,aside from all of the above uses,A Cold Steel Bushman(mentioned because I have&use one) can readily attach to,giving you a grand boost of confidence especially when your ears are seeing something,your eyes haven't yet!A hardwood staff can be feathered for dry tinder if need be also,Wood has endless possibilities!

#237087 - 12/09/11 12:46 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm always on the hunt for the perfect hiking staff. The older I get, the more inclined I am to use one.

I prefer natural materials. (High tech poles have so many benefits but they've never felt quite right to me.) My usual choice is something temporarily foraged from the bush, but in fall and winter that can be diificult because of the rain and snow.

I've got an old rake handle but it's a little too thin for my liking On advice gathered here, I just picked up a wooden shovel handle to try on my next trek.

Thanks for the on-going wisdom sharing, gang!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237092 - 12/09/11 01:55 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I have a few pair of hiking poles, some date back to the 1990s. Leki and Komperdell. None have ever failed. My faves are some ultralight poles that REI sold under its brand but were made by Komperdell. I keep a couple old pair in the car.

They've apparently been eclipsed, as products often are, by advances in materials and engineering. Here are some of the latest marvels -- which are shock-corded instead of having locks. A friend used a pair of these in the Alps in September. Problem with them is they can't be adjusted, while I like to shorten poles on steep inclines and lengthen on declines.

http://www.rei.com/product/813391/black-diamond-ultra-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair

By the way, REI is presently doing 30% off many of these poles and walking staffs.

A couple days ago I place an order for this Leki "Wanderfreund Speedlock Walking Staff." I have a history of knee and ankle injuries and keep a similar staff in my car in the event something should happen while away.

http://www.rei.com/product/812554/leki-wanderfreund-speedlock-walking-staff

I plan on using this newest walking staff around my neighborhood on dog walks. It can function as and looks much like a cane but also has utility if swung as a baseball bat. There've been a lot of muggings around here lately and off-leash dogs can be an issue.

I have a mean swing.

#237098 - 12/09/11 03:45 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like this tracks pole - Sherlock I believe
Hiking staff

Adjustable, wood knob, good length.

#237099 - 12/09/11 03:47 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Shovel handle with a friction tape grip.

#237114 - 12/09/11 06:17 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
did someone say hiking staff?

mine is a 6 ft x 1 1/2" piece of wax wood with - starting at the bottom and working up - a copper tip - since replaced with rubber - manila rope, paracord, leather grip - courtesy of the boy scouts - manila rope, ranger bands, capped off by my pink flamingo ( legs broke, no longer manufactured, now have a rooster ).

wax wood go here: hiking staff wood

martial artists use it. stout but flexible.

the rope is woven around the staff and quite attractive.

also use black diamond treking poles, depending on anticipated use.

photo at mt. whitney summit with sequoia & kings canyon national park back-country ranger rob.

Attachments
2008-08-18_MtWhitney_52ab.jpg (1201 downloads)

Edited by bsmith (12/09/11 06:20 PM)

#237115 - 12/09/11 06:25 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: bsmith]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOVE the pink flamingo!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.