Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#231839 - 09/10/11 07:09 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: kristina27]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Since my PSK is carried in a pouch on my water bottle carrier (which carries a steel cup and usually a steel bottle), the biggest use I find for the aluminum foil is as a moisture barrier under the start of a fire. We have a lot of ground moisture at the best of times around here, to.

If I was going to try to count on it is a container, I would want to roll it around something for storage.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#231843 - 09/10/11 07:17 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: ironraven]
kristina27 Offline

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Since my PSK is carried in a pouch on my water bottle carrier (which carries a steel cup and usually a steel bottle), the biggest use I find for the aluminum foil is as a moisture barrier under the start of a fire. We have a lot of ground moisture at the best of times around here, to.

If I was going to try to count on it is a container, I would want to roll it around something for storage.

I have heard of using foil as a fire barrier. Never tried it though. Really to get the best proformance out of it one would have to make sure to take care in storing it. If it starts to look worn or weak points begin to form then it's time to replace. I guess that goes to say that your PSK is not one that is sealed and never openned. I guess it could be safe to say that when it's time to replace any items that have an experation date. It's also wise to check everything else and see if all is in working order. A little maintenance never hurt any one.

#231865 - 09/11/11 05:46 AM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: kristina27]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I often use foil beneath my fire. It's especially handy if I'm using potassium permanganate to start it. I just fashion the foil into a small cup to keep the PP in one spot til it gets going.

#233340 - 10/07/11 03:40 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: kristina27]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a case where you can make a poor water boiling device vs a nice one with a metal cup or water bottle.

#233421 - 10/09/11 10:30 AM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: hikermor]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have heard of something call titanium foil. It is probably more expensive than plain old aluminum, but possibly it might stand up better to folding. I have no experience with the material at all, so this is rampant speculation.

I bought 11.75-in. x 12-in. piece some months back from here to test as alternative to Al foil. $15 + shipping (less 10% discount for active duty/veterans). Too many other projects, so haven't played with it yet.

I asked questions before purchase about durability/folding. The reply: "The Ti foil is much thicker than Al foil... it will not tear. Repeated folding will cause it to work harden and break. You want to roll up the Ti foil. This is the same foil that we make the Ti stove pipes out of (0.005" thick). You will have trouble poking a hole in the Ti foil with a nail."

So, still needs TLC like aluminum foil when comes to folding; but nevertheless an improvement (albeit a pricey improvement) if carried rolled as suggested, with expectation that in emergency use, would be fashioned into cup/cooking vessel and left that way (not repeatedly folded/unfolded). Warning: edges are like a razor blade; in use, would have to be crimped over.

Finally, for Al foil, 3M High Temperature Aluminum Foil Tape will work as improvised patch up to 600 degrees (prolonged exposure to open flame could be a problem, though data sheet says flame resistant).

#233442 - 10/09/11 04:44 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: xbanker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you very much - that indeed is useful information. Is your source Kifaru? (stove pipes!).

I guess the most practical solution is still a cup/mug snugly placed around the bottom of your canteen. Takes up negligible space and you can cook to your heart's content with no difficulties. There is wide variety of containers available in various metals and diameters to fit many different water bottles.

#233455 - 10/09/11 08:23 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: hikermor]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Is your source Kifaru?.

I guess the most practical solution is still a cup/mug snugly placed around the bottom of your canteen.

Bought mine here .

Agree about cup/canteen combo. That's method in my larger kit(s)/packs. The Ti foil intended strictly for small PSK-type kit, like my Maxped Pocket Organizer where "(small) size does matter." As for cost (for "just a piece of foil"), I figure that I've already gone to some expense to outfit with the best small bits of gear I can find, so what's another $15 (I can rationalize anything, given enough time grin).

#236903 - 12/06/11 08:54 PM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: kristina27]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...or just carry a metal water bottle. easy to boil in.

#237084 - 12/09/11 09:26 AM Re: Using that Tin Foil in your PSK [Re: kristina27]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

As a compromise between foil (easy to carry, hard to use) and a metal cup (great to use, not psk sized) could I suggest foil pans - disposable loaf tin sort of thing. Much stronger than foil, and fold up pretty well (you may need to trim the rolled top edge.). I wouldn't want to keep folding and unfolding them, but one that would hold about a pint, carefully folded and flattened will pack small and open up fine.

Just another possible stop point on the size / utility continuum...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.